PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Ooops - 5 pages in already - I've been failing to keep up for the last week or so - got some catch up reading!!

My total will be for my signature only, but I'm going for £150 for March. This is a £10 increase on my January and February budget, but a couple of items in my 'non-food' section of the GC budget have increased by a third each. I've squeezed and coped (just) for a couple of months, but it'd be silly to try to do it for longer.

Thank you to the thread organisers, you do a fantastic job (I'll never tire of writing that!) and to everyone that contributes their comments, recipes and thoughts to the thread.

TTFN, Greying
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • MissVegan
    Options
    Hello everyone, can I join too?

Need to get groceries spending down and sharpish!
    I am aiming for £200 this month - tracked all my spending last month and it was shocking :eek:
    I know we can manage on £200, I just need to take control and not be lazy :o
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good trip to edinburgh yesterday and noticed in weaving shop (up be the castle, has FREE yes totally FREE exhibition with working looms) they take dollars. Lots of lovely gifts and we hav a few green backs lying around so think i'll use them up for xmas gifts with no dent on GC. Just have to be careful i dont go into buying frenzy lol. I think m&s accept euros? Maybe just london. Must chek as have a 20 euro note, though am going to lyon (work) in august so could keep for that.
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • tootoo
    tootoo Posts: 681 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Update on my spends - £106/£200.
    Got to make this last for 4 weeks. I sometimes wonder if its possible, but after reading the 7 dinners for £10 - I really think I should be able to make it last!!
    MFW.....Apr 33 Aim - Dec 26
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello everyone!

It's finally payday, and I was expecting not to get paid for the first 3 days of my sick leave thus a BIG dent in my income this month... HOWEVER, I got paid my normal full amount! So this month isn't as tight as I thought it would be, thank GOODNESS! What with South Africa on 30th March, I was beginning to panic slightly! after that losing money just means a delay in moving out. Phew!

Anyway, so today I am doing my first grocery shop of the month, it's going to be a small one, mostly frozen stuff and things like spices which I've run out of (all that comes from stores budget) - fresh stuff comes from my numbered week budgets, which begin on a Friday.

I have made a list of everything and written down the prices in Mr T, so I am going to go to A1d! first to see what I can get cheaper, then finish up in Mr T. I'm sure most of it I can get in A1d! I just don't know the prices in there very well yet. Here's the plan:

Stores budget - planned spend of under £15
    Week 1 budget - planned spend of under £7

Wish me luck, i'll report back later!

LC

Mar GC: £0/£70
    Week 1: £0/£9
    Week 2:
    £0/£9
    Week 3: £
    0/£9
    Week 4:
    £0/£9
    Week 5:
    £0/£9
    Stores: £0/£25
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Gorgeestwo
    Options
    Good morning :)

Small spend this morning of a bag of salad from the local shop (:o) of £1.09 so will add that to my sig now.

Good luck to everyone for March :)
  • Piquant_2
    Piquant_2 Posts: 5,769 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good morning!

I need to tighten the grocery spend. Please put me down for £150 for March

Thanks
    Total debt at October 2008: £67,213.30
    Total debt today: £0
    - debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013 :T
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
    Save £12K in 2014 - £6,521.90/£6K member 138

• Linz4383
    Options
    just had a small spend at coop on 2 loaves of bread and 2 packs of 400g whoopsied chicken (1.50each), £5.20 added to signature :)
  • Long_tall_sally
    Options
    Gosh I have spent so much already and its even the 1st of March yet! I will need to pop to the Co Op later for some rice that I forgot to get and will probably also have a look at whatever this week's offers are as they change on a Wednesday but after that I am really going to have to avoid the shops for a while.

Thought I would also just tell you that I made a Victoria sponge on Monday as I had people coming round the house for a cricket meeting and I was trying to do it quickly. After the cake mixture had been made I put my hand into the cupboard & put in a few drops of what I thought was vanilla essence only to find out it was green food colouring! I neither wanted to waste the ingredients or the time making another one, so tried to scoop out the green liquid as best as I could but the cake still looked rather green & mouldy! Tasted ok though!
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • mummygems
    Options
    I am off to costco later for a little stock up on some cheese, dishwasher tabs, flora light and chicken breast.

I have been given a celeriac and chinese leaf - erm what do I do with them lol. Is celeriac like swede? Have googled a couple of recipes but they all involve lots of other ingredients that I dont have so wanted something a bit easier (if thats possible!).

I think once I have been to costcos I will be stocked up on the majority of things and it will be just the usual weekly fruit & veg, milk, yoghurts, bread etc each week.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (14), DD (12) & DS (10) :smileyhea and 2 mental beagles.
    Paying off debt bit by bit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport