Hotpoint urgent tumble dryer recall

Options

Comments

• justjohn
    justjohn Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unsure what is causing these to ignite, but I had to replace the Heater Thermostats in our indesit IS70c. it is one off the models that have issues.

it was overheating then not heating at all. The heating element looks a bit shot due to the overheat.
  • Bluenorw
    Options
    A major factor with the fire issue associated with Hotpoint VTD00 tumble dryer (and possibly the Indesit & Creda models) is the poor fitting of the outlet hose into the machine. If this becomes detached through vibration or by moving the dryer, outlet air and fluff can be drawn back into the machine and hence into the heater element. I found a lot of fluff trapped in the heater and heater cover of our machine recently whilst changing the rear drum bearing and recalled that we had (unknowingly) used the machine with the outlet hose detached some time ago.
  • sparky93
    sparky93 Posts: 392 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i have one as well, brand new delivered last week, then this crops up......
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Mine is an Indesit, a few years old and one of the models affected. I tried filling in the online form last night, but can't remember the year I bought it. I'm going to have to search through old receipts today, as the online form cannot be submitted without a year of purchase. TBH, I'm not sure why they need that - after all, they are still going to repair the fault, regardless of date of purchase.
  • sparky93
    sparky93 Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    Mine is an Indesit, a few years old and one of the models affected. I tried filling in the online form last night, but can't remember the year I bought it. I'm going to have to search through old receipts today, as the online form cannot be submitted without a year of purchase. TBH, I'm not sure why they need that - after all, they are still going to repair the fault, regardless of date of purchase.

just put in the xlosest you think. there always the phone number if its more concern.
  • Country_Cousin
    Options

I could not remember either and doubt I still have the receipt, but certainly was not going to the trouble of looking once they had told me I had an affected model. I took a good guess. They have the model number and the serial number, that should be enough.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the link, my Indesit tumble dryer is also an affected model. I have noticed in the past that a large amount of fluff seems to gather under the filter and runs along the venting system so I've always been extra careful with cleaning it. I'm not sure if mine was bought in 2010 or 2011 so I went with 2011 as a guess.

As for not leaving it unattended, it doesn't mean standing and watching it but not putting it on and leaving the house. My last TD (not one of the brands part of this safety issue) caught fire, it was regularly cleaned and maintained but some how fluff got inside where it should be and ignited with the heat.

When you've carried an on fire tumble dryer out of your house and into the garden at 6am to stop the whole house catching fire you realise how dangerous they can be. I have never left my TD on with nobody in the house since and keep a smoke alarm right above it.

I doubt there's any reason to panic over this, electrical items have these saftety warnings/recalls/repairs all the time and it's usually a very small number of machine actually affected and they will fix the most problematic models or serial number batches before fixing the rest.

A friend had a safety warning for an oven, one that the door should be allowed to be closed when using the grill, they then said it is perfectly safe to continue to use with the door open until they get the fix done. It was almost a year until they got around to doing hers but they had a safe way of using it in the mean time so no harm done.

I had a safety recall on my laptop battery a few years ago, they sent a new one out in the post and a pre paid Jiffy bag for me to send the old one back with the advice yo remove the battery and just run it off the mains until the new one arrived. It was a minor inconvenience for two weeks then all sorted.
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up on this. Ours is an affected model.
    Yep, I just guessed the year too, I can't remember when we bought it.
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • priorslee
    priorslee Posts: 3,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    sparky93 wrote: »
    i have one as well, brand new delivered last week, then this crops up......

As your purchase is so recent, there's a good chance you could get a full refund. Quoting from the MSE guide on returning faulty goods:
    Within a month – return faulty goods for a full refund. If goods are faulty, whether bought in-store or online, you are entitled to a full refund provided you haven’t ‘accepted them’. In a nutshell, this means you have had time to inspect the goods and reject them.

How long this takes depends on the goods – after all, fully inspecting a brand new £3 million pound yacht may take longer than a 10p plastic whistle. However, as a very rough rule of thumb, ensure you get things back in under a month if you want a refund (the Government is proposing to clarify this rule to give a fixed 30 days to reject everything but perishable goods).
  • karenvnuttall
    Options
    Bought my Hotpoint dryer three weeks ago from ao.com.
    I contacted them today stating the goods were faulty and i should be able to exchange.
    They are arguing that the goods are not faulty but as a safety measure the manufacturer wants to adapt them and that i simply have to stand over the machine whilst its drying washing until Hotpoint come and carry out the work. Hotpoint say they will be in touch in 5 weeks...This is just not practical as I do not have the time to keep an eye on the machine. This renders it totally useless.
    They are not offering to exchange the dryer as its not actually a fault.
    Any Ideas?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport