Options

Comments

• DIYBaldyman
    DIYBaldyman Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    gromit99 wrote: »
    Is 'bird strike' if thats what it was, a reason not to pay compensation

If you were told to board & then get off again without the plane moving, then the incident didn't occur on your flight. That makes your delay a 'knock-on' & the answer to your question is no, a bird-strike on a previous flight is not a valid reason to exepmpt the airline from paying you EU261/2004 compensation.

Download & read Vauban's guide - everything you need will be in there.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    SUCCESS THROUGH PERSEVERANCE.
    Flight delays - Vauban's Guide has been of immense help - please read it before posting questions - I'll be surprised if your answers aren't in there.
    April 2016 - successfully claimed €1600 from Thomas Cook for 6 hour delay in August 2015
    Old debt passed to collection agency? Issue CCA request & possibly have debt rendered unenforceable. Feb 2021 - £42 of old debt legally written off & cost £1 per account.
  • gromit99
    gromit99 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your reply
  • Ferdy147
    Ferdy147 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    My flight from Paris CDG to London Luton n 28th March 2016 was cancelled.

Easyjet are claiming this was due to weather but I have a screenshot from the Luton Airport website showing no other flights were cancelled that night. In addition Easyjet had 9 delayed flights when other carriers had none.

In addition I have a screenshot from the Easyjet mobile app which said that the delay was caused by a shortage of staff as their had worked too many hours as a result of weather related delays.

Luton Airport Website Screenshot
    6enj1e.png

Easyjet Mobile App Screenshot
    29x7p82.png

I used resolva originally and all I got was a thing to say fill out the form on the easyjet site. I did and they said it was weather related so I replied to that email with the above screenshots and got the following response:-

Dear xxxx

I would like to say how sorry I am that your flight was cancelled and apologise for the inconvenience this will have caused you.

We try very hard to operate efficiently and on time, however situations may arise from time to time which can prevent this from happening. I can assure you cancelling a flight is always our last resort as we understand the inconvenience this causes to our passengers.

Your flight to London Luton was cancelled due to Air traffic control restrictions and weather delays as confirmed by our Disruption support team. We are unable to confirm the number of flights delayed or cancelled on that day.

As this was outside of our control, you are not eligible for compensation at this time. Should you wish to understand more about your rights and compensation in times of disruption please click here.

easyJet recognizes the rights of its passengers from taking legal means they think appropriate.

Should I just escalate via resolva....think the next stop is a marketing director?

Is there anyone else who was on the same flight here?

Thanks,

Ferdy147
  • WeeJockMcPlop
    Options
    My missus is currently stuck at a Travelodge near Gatwick after today's runway chaos. I read the guide to compensation claims on the main site, but this might be a grey area; all of the criteria for compensation are fulfilled except the one uncertainty - if it was the airline's fault. The cancellation was because of a combination of faults:

1. The damaged runway surface (not EasyJet's fault) which caused a 3hr 20min delay to this flight
    2. As a result of the delay the aircraft ran into a scheduled maintenance period and could not make the flight and no alternative aircraft being available (probably EasyJet's fault)

EasyJet have recognised their immediate responsibilities and given her group overnight accommodation and an alternative flight back tomorrow; she'll be back home 21 hours later than originally scheduled.

Is she entitled to claim the €250 cancellation compensation?
  • CKsuper
    CKsuper Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

So recently my flight from Belfast to Luton was cancelled, was re-routed to Stansted the following day
    The re-routed flight was then cancelled too and I was re-routed to Liverpool +taxi to luton

My question is does this now count as two cancellations they have to compensate for or it will still count only as one? Anyone have experience with something similar?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    CKsuper wrote: »
    Hi all,

So recently my flight from Belfast to Luton was cancelled, was re-routed to Stansted the following day
    The re-routed flight was then cancelled too and I was re-routed to Liverpool +taxi to luton

My question is does this now count as two cancellations they have to compensate for or it will still count only as one? Anyone have experience with something similar?
    Unless you opted for a refund then rebooked the new flight and paid for it, no. Only one compensation payment due.
    So for the future, be careful using EJ again. And be prepaid to potentially make your own arrangements if you are canny ;)
    Obviousley you didn't know that the replacement flight would be delayed /cancelled too, but over the years on this forum, it would appear that where is a delay/cancellation on certain airlines/routes, the same thing may happen again the next day.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CKsuper .... just one active flight to England = one claim = one compensation.
  • CKsuper
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Unless you opted for a refund then rebooked the new flight and paid for it, no. Only one compensation payment due.
    So for the future, be careful using EJ again. And be prepaid to potentially make your own arrangements if you are canny ;)
    Obviousley you didn't know that the replacement flight would be delayed /cancelled too, but over the years on this forum, it would appear that where is a delay/cancellation on certain airlines/routes, the same thing may happen again the next day.

Thanks, yes I didn't expect the replacement to be cancelled too. But I'm guessing even if I did refund and re-book it would have meant I would have to find my own accommodation between the flights. Not a big loss (if any), but interesting to know.
    111KAB wrote: »
    CKsuper .... just one active flight to England = one claim = one compensation.

Yes, but truth is, passenger had to go through cancellation process twice....theoretically not so fair, but can see it from business perspective. You can imagine how annoyed people got when a replacement flight is also cancelled. You just start to think will we ever get out of the airport.

Anyways, thanks both for the answer to my question.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 June 2016 at 12:06PM
    Options
    CKsuper wrote: »
    Thanks, yes I didn't expect the replacement to be cancelled too. But I'm guessing even if I did refund and re-book it would have meant I would have to find my own accommodation between the flights. Not a big loss (if any), but interesting to know.
    But you could probably find accommodation for less than 250euro ;)
    Airlines aren't always so obliging in fnding accomadation for - see the recent SAS flight issue on another thread...

Yes, but truth is, passenger had to go through cancellation process twice....theoretically not so fair, but can see it from business perspective. You can imagine how annoyed people got when a replacement flight is also cancelled. You just start to think will we ever get out of the airport.

Anyways, thanks both for the answer to my question.[/QUOTE............
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • CKsuper
    Options
    Oh, that's very true. But then it's basically gambling at the price of a last minute hotel room for the flight to be cancelled again. It would be so much simpler if there were relatives to stay with though. Guess it's a lesson I learnt.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback