Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• mightymallet
    Options
    Hi, we had our 2205 flight from Barcellona cancelled due to some technical glitch, then they tried to swap planes but decided that they couldn't because the crew would go over their allowed working hours. The flight was resceduled for 1400 the next day.
    We went back through to arrivals and they got accommodation for a few at the front of the
    queue. Most didn't. They told us we had to find our own accommodation. They told us we had 250 euros each for expenses. We tried dozens of hotels and they were all full. We found one but it was too expensive at 530 euros. We would have paid the extra but then the available expenses suddenly went down to 150 euros. We asked for help in the form of phone calls, access to the internet, a list of hotels. All were denied and the ground crew clearly wanted to just go home to bed so they did just that and then closed the terminal. We bedded down in another terminal and got poked with a batton by security and told not to sleep there.
    We feel that easyjet didn't discharge their duty of care and that we are due more compensation as a result. Any insights as to wether we are likely to get anywhere with that?

Thanks
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    EJ are not allowed to set arbitrary limits on accommodation as it was up to them to sort it out and they refused. You are entitled to compensation for the delay together with your reasonable accommodation charges and meals and transport. Keep copies of all your receipts. What is "reasonable" is a matter of fact to be decided objectively but so long as you didn't go mad you should be refunded in full. You may have to sue them though.
  • mightymallet
    Options
    Thankyou Mr. Magpie. Unfortunately although we found some accommodation we didn't take it as easyjet ssid they wouldn't pay more than €300 so we'd have been about €300 out of pocket including travel. we ended up trying to slerp on the floor if the terminal which didn't incur any expenses.
  • Debs_
    Options
    Any advice appreciated -
    EZY156 Inverness - Luton Sunday 11th August cancelled at 22.30 (Supposed to depart 20.55). Kicked out of airport which was closing in to splendid highland rain and flight rescheduled to 14.00 next day (only informed of this 7am Monday 12th). App couldn’t book accommodation and nothing provided at all by EJ in this time.
    Flight arrived Monday 12th August 15.00 meaning total delay 17hours.
    Filled in EU261 Compensation claim Friday rejected today as states flight delay due to “air traffic control restrictions” meaning inbound flight arrived too late to take off from Inverness due to airport night curfew. (Am jealous of others who had lots more explanation in their rejection emails 🤣).
    Do I need a deadlock email to take this further (can’t reply to EJ email as do not reply) or do I just go straight to Aviation ADR? And is their any point?
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Options
    Euclaim say you have a possible claim of €250 put your flight details into bottonline and see what they say in the meantime ask Easyjet for a deadlock letter.
  • paraza
    paraza Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I booked a flight with easyjet through directline flights. The flight got cancelled and I had to book to come home through another carrier. I've chased for my refund now 3 times and I was finally told that I hadn't been refunded due to an admin error but I should receive a refund within 7 working days. This will mean I've been waiting for this refund for a month. Should I make a complaint for having to wait so long or do I just have to accept their delay in the refund?
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    Options
    Parasails, you have answered your own question. Unless you keep pressing they will pay you as an when they think fit. I suggest that you write to them saying that unless they pay you within 7 days you will sue them it is also worthwhile copying in the MD.
  • mightymallet
    Options
    Hi
    i have applied for compensation from easyjet for cancelled flight due to plane technical fault. i await the outcome.

i incurred no expenses, however i feel that the service the ground crew gave was delivered without due skill and responsibility. they failed to get us a hotel room over night or access to email or telephone to book our own,which i believe we should have had. is this correct? they left us to sleep rough. what else can i claim, how do i claim, and am i likely to win? i paid on credit card.

i dont want any further claim to jeopardise my existing compensation claim. will this clash?
    thanks
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Options
    There is no more compensation due. You should have taken the hotel and they would have had to pay for it. They cannot sat arbitrary caps on hotels. The only thing you can do is write a complaint to the CAA as Easyjet did not provide a duty of care to you.
  • Wood296
    Wood296 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry If there is somewhere else to post this. Hope this is the right place to ask a question.

Our Easyjet flight was cancelled, we spent 18 hours without accommodation and were not allocated a flight until two days later. We were eventually (after 18 hours) given a hotel for 2 nights including breakfast and dinner and I have submitted receipts via the online claim form to Easyjet. The problem was the fault of the airport in Amsterdam as they were unable to refuel a number of planes (it was reported in the media) hence all nearby accommodation and earlier flights out being booked up. The delay cost us extra expenses in the UK. My partner lost 2 days wages, we had pets in boarding incurring over £120 in costs, and £60 airport parking charges for overstaying. My insurance say they do not cover this. Who does? Will it be the airport as the fuelling problem was their fault?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback