PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• Franalamadingdong
    Options
    Well! I'm exhausted! First guests arrive tomorrow and boy am I glad! We didn't get home until 8pm... DS is normally in bed between 7 and 7:30pm. It meant dinner was freezer !!!!. Used a pizza, last of the chips and one fish finger because I was sick of the sight of it. Tomorrow is taking DS to school, work, then waiting in for the gas man again, if he leaves before half two, then I will hightail it back to mum and dad's to finish things off. DS has been absolutely amazing at coming on and even helping. He's only 5 and he's just been so grown up. Mum wants to buy him a wee toy or something to say thank you. I think he's been happy to have been allowed to eat rubbish more often than normal! So glad this and the grocery challenge threads have kept me (mostly) organised and I know what is in!

Oh, and one of my jobs was to pick dad up and take him back to the house. He's never been in the car with me. He didn't realise it was a manual until I mentioned going down to first because of an awful uphill 90* turn. This alone was worth the beige dinner.
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have to own up to a waste. Well, not actually me, DH.

Despite having said he was in for dinner, he ate out and didn't get in until midnight. I'd left his dinner on the side he didn't go into the kitchen. It had rice and chicken in it.

BIN.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had planned to take one uncooked turkey breast out of the freezer and do 3 different meals with it. However, on the way to the bottom of the freezer (that's where the uncooked turkey breasts are) I came across a bag of already cooked large turkey pieces - a total surprise - so a much smaller thigh came out for the roast and the bag has been elevated to the top of the freezer for use over the weekend.

OUT
    1 turkey thigh
    1 HM portion tomato soup
    1 HM portion J artichoke soup
    3 bread rolls
    vegetables, some homegrown, some not
    1 small bag plums

IN
    nothing
  • 117pauline
    Options
    I have just checked my "meals for the month" and come up with a shopping list for items needed -funny old thing, I still have enough meat in the freezer!!

However I do need boring household and other bits.

So checked mysupermarket quickly to compare prices and off now to Sainsburys to play The Swipe Game - they have another 3 days of spend a tenner and get free extra points. Last time we were incredibly lucky and got over 12000 points which I used towards replacing some bits for the house like sheets etc.

Out
    Eggs
    Chicken
    Seasoning and
    A cheeky apple crumble!

Have a great weekend
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    in:
    1 YS fishcake
    4 pieces of smoked haddock
    pack of Linda McCartney sausages (curiosity)

still to go in either a lot of gammon stock or lentil soup made with the stock. Depends on how much free time I have.

out:
    frozen fruit & yogurt for DD's smoothies
    sweetcorn
    1 tub ratatouille
    French fries
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Winchelsea
    Options
    Out - a single portion of HM lentil curry. Using the last egg in the fridge to make a small stack of pancakes. So lunch will be curry-stuffed pancakes.
    Into the freezer once cold - the rest of the stack of pancakes - to be used in a sweet or a savoury way when needed!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I seem to be working the opposite way to most people, but same difference really. My problem is not so much the freezer, but the stores, cupboards, pantry etc. SO out of stores,
    chickpeas - made houmous - in2 fridge
    cabbage, potato & carrots out of fridge, made in2 soup and now 4 portions frozen.
    Today Im going to be making pizza to freeze as I have pizza bases that need using up and mushrooms that are about to make a break for freedom - how dare they. Also, going to be making Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Curry out of stores, which will also be frozen. Have a lovely w/e everyone.
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    Mmmm.. sweet potato, chickpea and spinach curry sounds lovely Save Dosh. I have all those things so I might make some too.

Anyone got any good ideas for what to do with Jerusalem artichokes? I got some in my veg box yesterday and I'm really not a massive fan but I'm not going to waste them. I also got sprouts - our house is going to need the windows open!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 February 2017 at 1:03PM
    Options
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    Mmmm.. sweet potato, chickpea and spinach curry sounds lovely Save Dosh. I have all those things so I might make some too.

Anyone got any good ideas for what to do with Jerusalem artichokes? I got some in my veg box yesterday and I'm really not a massive fan but I'm not going to waste them. I also got sprouts - our house is going to need the windows open!
    I made sprout burgers with our surplus EDIT: copied from my original post, the recipe

"I love brussels, bought 3 bags, made some brussels and sweet potato burgers, were really lovely. Grated n fried the brussels, added cumin, minced garlic. Added the sweet potato (cooked), mashed and made into burgers".
  • Winchelsea
    Options
    Actually my lunchtime curry is pretty similar to yours Save Dosh - lentil, sweet potato and spinach, plus a bit of onion, garlic etc!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback