New Post Advanced Search

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
5.4K replies 525.1K views

Replies

• WinchelseaWinchelsea Forumite
    693 posts
    ✭✭
    I think it's going to be a day for fridge-bottom soup.
    Although fridge-bottom stir fry may well put in an appearance.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • Some of my dried pasta mountain used up last night and the remains of my hm bread toasted for breakfast.
    Taking our 4 year old out to a National Trust place nearby after lunch today to avoid buying lunch at the caf!. Roll on summer when picnics are more of an option!
    This thread is helping me keep focused. I love reading what everyone's doing - thanks all!
  • edited 4 February 2017 at 12:17PM
    zafiro1984zafiro1984 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 4 February 2017 at 12:17PM
    Things didn't quite go to plan yesterday.
    We were supposed to have turkey thigh roasted with all the usual veg etc. BUT the stopcock into the house started to leak early evening. Water turned off in the road, about 300m away, new stopcock put on but it had to go from the old imperial to the modern metric (Good job DH is a keen DIYer).

The biggest problem was turning the water back on, one of us had to go to the road in the pitch dark and the other had to look for leaks at the stopcock, very difficult to communicate over that distance as there is no mobile signal near the house. After a few tries and adjustments it worked ok, and this morning we are still leak free.

So tea was roasted turkey sandwiches for DH and tuna ones for me - could have been a whole lot worse. :D

OUT
    last of the cooked turkey pieces from Christmas
    sausage meat
    chestnuts
    pieces of ham

I was watching a cookery programme yesterday where they made a terrine. I don't make one very often but it is popular when I do. However I haven't enough bacon so I'm going to make a layered raised pie instead.
  • NewShadow wrote: »
    Evening All,

I'm thinking about what I'm going to cook this weekend and hoping for some inspiration from you lovely people.

I've got two leftover breaded chicken 'steaks' - cheap and mostly breadcrumbs without any real seasoning but they were free leftovers so I'm loathe to waste them. I've also got three bacon medallions lurking.

First thought was diced over a salad - but salads really don't inspire me and I'd have to buy all the salady bits fresh...

Second thought - chuck in pasta with onions and tomatoes and cheese on top. Not feeling the love.

I've got bread and wraps, various tinned cooked beans, lots of types of frozen veggies, but not much 'fresh' stuff (it's been a bit manic the last few weeks) - I've some baby toms that probably need using. They might be nice roasted/grilled with the bacon? And I can pop to the shops - just don't want to for a basic 'wet lettuce'

Given I'm only feeding me, ideally I'm looking to use all of it - the 3 bits of bacon and the 2 chicken - to make something for sat/sun with maybe enough leftovers to have lunch on Monday, so I'm thinking a cold baked pasta or baked spud topping.

What would you do?

What about making the breaded chicken up in the oven but smothering in garlic butter so more like a kiev effect? With steamed veg and the garlic butter dripped over the veg too. Phwoar... Oh dear there's the reason for my wide hips again.

Or I would slice up when cooked and have in a wrap with garlic mayo and grated red onion, carrot or any fresh-ish veg you might have in?

What about melting some cheese on the top when the chicken is cooked? Would be lovely with tangy roasted baby tomatoes - maybe with some roasted onions too. Balsamic vinegar on them before roasting?

For the bacon I would probably make soup - lentil and carrots, But that's because it's my favourite. You could quite happily cook then chop and mix with finely diced onion, sweetcorn and mayonnaise for on top of your jacket spud? Or scoop out the jacket spud and mash with cheese, bacon, onion and sweetcorn put back into the spud case and melt the cheese? With good old beans! Or just have grilled bacon with poached egg and beans...

Phwoar... Any of all that would float my boat!!

Let us know what you decide on?

• Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    Things didn't quite go to plan yesterday.
    We were supposed to have turkey thigh roasted with all the usual veg etc. BUT the stopcock into the house started to leak early evening. Water turned off in the road, about 300m away, new stopcock put on but it had to go from the old imperial to the modern metric (Good job DH is a keen DIYer).

The biggest problem was turning the water back on, one of us had to go to the road in the pitch dark and the other had to look for leaks at the stopcock, very difficult to communicate over that distance as there is no mobile signal near the house. After a few tries and adjustments it worked ok, and this morning we are still leak free.

I was watching a cookery programme yesterday where they made a terrine. I don't make one very often but it is popular when I do. However I haven't enough bacon so I'm going to make a layered raised pie instead.

:T Wow! zafiro1984 A massive well done for sorting that out without professional help. I well remember when I was building a raised bed at our first house and using an angle-grinder to cut brick pavers to use as coping stones and DH was doing some bath removal in a downstairs room that became our utility room. He sheared the stopcock and left me looking like a punk with perspiration and brickiest forming a particularly unattractive mohican effect. It was a Sunday. He called a friend and arranged for me to use their bathroom. I still remember the 10 minutes it took to get rid of the silt I left after washing my hair. No idea what they thought but I used most of a toilet roll stopping it going down the friends plug-hole and removing it :rotfl:

Raised layered pie. mmm

SL

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £2161.30/£5k 28.72% after Apr
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £863.93/£3k 28.8% so far at end of April
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 £7,678.12/£15,000 51.9%
    MFIT T5 No 2 £50,483/£59,998 or 84.14% paid after Q5
    My Debt Free Diary is here
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shopping from my stores today

out of the freezer -
    stick of sausage-meat - I will use some with ready-made puff pastry for DH and some without pastry for me (like sausage-burgers made with herbs and veg)
    2 chicken thighs
    2 pork chops
    2 ostrich steaks (what can I say? a Christmas Ladle treat)
    more soup for lunches in case there is no salad left in the sm

I have cabbage and carrots in the fridge and peas, broccoli and runner beans in the freezer so no veg except a bit of salad if there is any.

I will try to buy only milk, yogurt, eggs, salad, maybe blueberries (fresh or frozen) and lemons. Oh yes, and tomato seeds and seed potatoes.

Have a good weekend everyone
    SL

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £2161.30/£5k 28.72% after Apr
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £863.93/£3k 28.8% so far at end of April
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 £7,678.12/£15,000 51.9%
    MFIT T5 No 2 £50,483/£59,998 or 84.14% paid after Q5
    My Debt Free Diary is here
  • edited 4 February 2017 at 1:30PM
    JensFeetJensFeet Forumite
    83 posts
    edited 4 February 2017 at 1:30PM
    caronc - thanks for the Nigella sticky soy tip off... I don't have any honey but reckon this could be replaced withgolden syrup? I have this in the cupboard already. And everything else so a plan!

JingsMyBucket - sorry I don't even know what either of black forest ham or black beans are to be able to help you come up with a recipe... Not much help am I? But I did google it and found a few interesting ideas?
    Black beans with smoked ham and rice: https://www.nueskes.com/recipes/black-beans-with-smoked-ham-and-rice/
    Black bean and ham soup: https://sites.google.com/site/jamiecooksitupprintablerecipes/black-bean-and-ham-soup-crock (sounds lush!)

Also those ham, olive and gouda crepes sounds lush!! Any chance there is a recipe - and can some of my brie mountain replace the gouda do you think?

I haven't listed all of my shopping items just those into the freezer as fridge and store I have counted as things I use as I go but I have also realised I have deliberately bought additional tinned goods (tomatoes, beans, sweetcorn etc) as we use these regularly and I don't tend to forget about them being there like I do with the freezer mountain. Whatever helps you to run your stocks down efficiently I think is best for you... Happy to stand corrected though!!

FurryBeastOz - what's a breakfast bake? Thanks. I always struggle for breakfast ideas and have the same thing every time i eat it. Wafer ham, crumpet and chilli jam. I don't eat cereal or porridge and don't like sweet food before evening as it makes me feel miserable. So very intrigued about your bakes. I tend to have a brunch when not on an early start but early start means I need something quick and easy.

Suffolk lass - your lunch club sounds great - very community spirited and a lovely way to get people together. Before moving to Lancashire I lived in rural (very) northern Scotland and we had community events like this and a real spirit of being there for each other. I don't feel that here yet but I have just become a member of a local food club which sells the unsold YS and excess produce from local shops etc. But I'm lucky as I haven't needed to shop yet as my fridge / freezer and stores overflow. Would love to volunteer there over the next few years once I'm back to full strength since being poorly and also managing work and family with ease.

OUT: pork ribs (F), remaining half of large chicken breast I cooked last night in soy sauce and spices to shred into egg fried rice tonight, rice, eggs, peppers, spring onions, carrot, packet of chip shop curry sauce mix

Toying with the idea of making millionairre's shortbread as my DS keeps asking and we have everything in but then I would be 'forced' to eat it.... Although I'm planning diet starts Monday ready for going for a week away with my mum to Cyprus at the end of the month... YEAY!! So, I guess if we cook millionirre's shortbread today then we can enjoy it this weekend before the soup recommences!! Who am I trying to convince here?

Edit to add: maybe the millionairre's shortbread should wait as I just remember there's about 8 crusts from the bread and I was thinking instead of freezing or throwing (nobody will eat them here) - what about old fashioned bread pudding. The cold version that you have in slices... Hmmmm.... And that's got fruit in so almost healthy (cough cough)...
    IN: nothing - should be a NSD here

Hope you all have a good weekend. DD off to a bday party in a little while, DS is delighted to have earned and saved enough pocket money to buy another computer game... So I probably won't see him until he's hungry. Tomorrow DD is at a dance competition so I will need to prepare a goodie bag for her to take so no spending at the theatre. DS is cooking our roast pork shoulder dinner tomorrow so we should enjoy that when we return from her dancing. Then OH is off to America for the week for work and a busy week ahead for me and kids before half term holiday. Gonna be a long week next week.

• edited 4 February 2017 at 2:22PM
    NewShadowNewShadow Forumite
    6.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 February 2017 at 2:22PM
    JensFeet wrote: »
    Let us know what you decide on?

I've gone with pizza for today - dough resting now. Going to top with half a chicken steak and a piece of bacon, with mozzarella, pesto, sweetcorn and a couple of baby toms.

Tomorrow I'm thinking twice baked potatoes and top it with the other half of the steak and another piece of bacon - with mayo, grilled mushrooms and toms, and some onion - maybe a hint of garlic.

and I think I'll take the same to work on Monday - maybe subbing onion for sweetcorn - given there are 'people' at work.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House deposit: 25% = £32,500 Banked!
    Next Step: Complete = possibly in a few weeks = On Track On Hold
    giphy.gif
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • FranalamadingdongFranalamadingdong Forumite
    553 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Re bacon, I love bacon and butternut squash risotto. It's quick and tasty.
  • FurryBeastOzFurryBeastOz Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Jensfeet Various combinations of - bread/English muffin/frozen hash browns, topped with fried off veg, Ham, Broken up Sausages, etc.

Put into a deep dish and pour over scrambled egg mixture. Bake.

Cool in fridge then cut into portions and freeze. 45 seconds in microwave in the morning - cooked breakfast.

Current version is Sausage, Wholemeal muffin, peppers mushroom and spinach. Delicious with Sriracha (hot chilli sauce)
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o