Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• Daniel987
    Daniel987 Posts: 41 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2019 at 8:06PM
    Options
    I remember managing playing video games online on 2mb without an issue.

yes

As long as you are on some form of broadband there is little-to-no difference between:

20mb
    100mb
    200mb
    800mb

Gaming is about latency (speed to the server). This does not change with a larger pipe - more mbs it just allows you to download things faster (movies, games).

20mb = about 2MB download per second.
    200mb = about 20MB download per second.

Faster to get movies, games, etc. Nothing to do with gaming experience once you are in-game. Ping is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LOkI3Xyd_E

This video should be in any sticky. ^^^^
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well after 12 years looks like I'm finally leaving. Sky BB install is on monday and then TV just before Christmas. Slightly worried about going back to ADSL but the difference in price is just too much to ignore. Final fall back plan is if the Sky BB speed is truely terrible to try and negotiate a BB only contract from Virgin until BT finally sort our exchange only line so we can get something else.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    latecomer wrote: »
    Well after 12 years looks like I'm finally leaving. Sky BB install is on monday and then TV just before Christmas. Slightly worried about going back to ADSL but the difference in price is just too much to ignore. Final fall back plan is if the Sky BB speed is truely terrible to try and negotiate a BB only contract from Virgin until BT finally sort our exchange only line so we can get something else.

We are in a fibre area and get 70mb. When i looked up sky it said if we got fibre with them they would only promise 6mb.
  • Martyn-F
    Options
    Success for me today!
    My original callback offers were posted earlier:
    Martyn-F wrote: »
    The callback next day resulted in these offers:
    • 200Mb + Talk Weekends + Maxit TV at £44 (the usual tactic of giving more services for a lower price, so you pay even more later - no thanks! I asked for less and got...)
    • 50Mb + Talk Weekends + Player/Mixit TV (base package) at £31
    • 50Mb + Talk Weekends (no TV) at £26
    I had a second callback from the retention team two days later, when £36 was the best I could get for the 50Mb + Weekend + Player (base) pack. I left it at that to ponder.

A week and a half later and I finally got around to calling them back on their 0161 number (received by text after my previous chat). This time I was offered an even better deal:

£33 for 100Mb + Weekends + Mix TV (which is an older package, not to be confused with Mixit! I could only get this as an existing customer apparently). This is for 12 months and then will go up to £38 for a further 6 months after that. Not bad at all :j

'Mix' is the next level up from the 'Freeview' pack (aka Player/Mixit) and means I get to keep Fox and some of the extra entertainment & kids channels which are nice-to-haves.

The passing of Black Friday doesn't seem to have dented the deals available. Good luck to those of you trying or about to try. Don't be afraid to cancel.
  • truescot
    truescot Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A week and a half later and I finally got around to calling them back on their 0161 number (received by text after my previous chat). This time I was offered an even better deal:

What is this magic number of which you speak...?
    Skint: (adjective) The tendency to turn off the grill when turning the bacon.

Think skint - it makes things simpler
  • blimpo
    Options
    Have just given in my notice for cancellation for next month.
    My plan is as follows:
    200mb BB
    Anytime calls
    £38 a month, which is now £63.50 since the new customer deal ended.

Spoke to a member of the cancellations team yesterday but the best they could do was get £63.50 down to £48. I'm considering jumping ship to Vodafone fibre for £25 (76/20 package, evening and weekend calls) but was forced to 'think it over'. Gave them a call today to process the cancellation which went through for next month. Hopefully will get a better deal to stay nearer to £38 as it would save a bit of hassle, but will keep this thread updated.
  • somnus
    somnus Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Just agreed on 50Mb broadband on 12 month contract for £19/month + £50 statement credit.

I was paying £19.50/month in December 2018 for 100Mb but my latest bill was due to be £49.50 after all discounts fell away.
  • Martyn-F
    Options
    truescot wrote: »
    What is this magic number of which you speak...?
    It's one that I was sent by text from the retentions team, after I had cancelled and they called to discuss my options. I presume this is a different team to the one you'd normally reach when going through their automated menu and choosing "thinking of leaving us". These guys must be VM's very last line of defence.

I don't think such a number should be shared here. They have their processes to go through and this team should be contactable only for specific purposes. I didn't even have to go through a full security check when ringing them back - they probably have access only to the small number of accounts which are pending cancellation.
  • truescot
    truescot Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's one that I was sent by text from the retentions team, after I had cancelled and they called to discuss my options. I presume this is a different team to the one you'd normally reach when going through their automated menu and choosing "thinking of leaving us". These guys must be VM's very last line of defence.

I don't think such a number should be shared here. They have their processes to go through and this team should be contactable only for specific purposes. I didn't even have to go through a full security check when ringing them back - they probably have access only to the small number of accounts which are pending cancellation.

Thanks, just wish i wasn't stuck paying £44 for 50MB, talk weekends and nothing else. Not even a tv box.
    Skint: (adjective) The tendency to turn off the grill when turning the bacon.

Think skint - it makes things simpler
  • Lifes_Grand_Plan
    Options
    Hi folks, just saw this thread and thought i'd update my case.

About 6 months ago my promotional rate ended and I called up to "give my notice to cancel". The bloke on the phone read me the cancellation T&C's and then said "...but I know you already know all of that because I can see you threaten to cancel every year to get a new offer..." :eek::eek::D:D

Anyway I was certain they'd call me and I waited, and waited, and waited. For the first time in about 3 years they didn't call me back...

Key point, putting in your notice and then waiting for a call back is the ONLY way to get the best deals, but you've got to have a plan B in case they don't call back. This is the first time ever that i've not had a call back and I do this for broadband, Sky, 2 x mobile phones, the lot...

Anyway my Plan B was to move to Talk Talk. I'd heard the negative feedback but I don't take prisoners and if they mess up, i'd take them to the cleaners... :eek:

So the deal was for 50mb compared to the 100mb I was on with Virgin. Can I notice the difference, not at all. I've found TalkTalk to be great so would have no hesitation in recommending them.
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback