Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mro wrote: »
    What was old price & services with VM and new price & services with Sky, for how long ?

Was stated further back - but the old deal was

100Mb BB
    Player TV (basic one)
    Any time calls

Tivo

Had been paying £43 with a £50 credit so effectively £39

Paid £10 per month for Premier sports

New cost was going to be approx £75-80 (got several different figures).

Got offered a deal for £49 from rententions but turned it down.

Sky offering:
    Sky Q

Entertainment TV
    ADSL BB unlimited (speed is acceptable for us)
    Anytime calls
    Mini Q box (multiroom)

£41 (would have been £35 without the multiroom)

And potentially £100 cashback from topcashback if it comes through.

Getting Premier sports for £49 for the year so thats another £70 saved too.

Sky contract is 18 month - but my only concern was the BB speed but that seems ok for now.

Virgin know we can cant get Fibre from anyone else yet - but should be getting it by the time the Sky contract ends.

Hope that helps
  • Praeceps
    Praeceps Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Phoned to cancel yesterday with Fun TV Package, 100mb BB and talk weekend for £53 and it was going to go up to £62 in March. If they weren't going to give me a good deal today I was going to have someone else in the house do a new contract.

They did end up phoning me today and gotten the Maxit TV package, 200mb BB and talk weekend for £39 for 9 months and it goes up to £44 for the remainder 3 months.
  • Praeceps
    Praeceps Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2020 at 8:19PM
    Options
    Just to give others a tip. If you're using an old package that virgin media are no longer selling for new customers you won't get much discount with it.

So if you do end up getting the return phone call from VM I'd recommend asking what the prices are for upgrading or downgrading to one of the current TV packages(whatever one that would suit you) and VM should be able to give a better discount.
  • Garf
    Garf Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Praeceps wrote: »
    Hi when do you get the option of the install date? Do you get it after signing up? I haven't committed to anything yet but as far as I wanted to go I only got up to the quick installation collect date.

During sign up you choose an install date.
    In fact, I kept checking each day and now am being disconnected on the same day I am being connected.:rotfl:
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    Looking at other deals I have a few questions before I jump to sky as its literally going to drop from £81 with VM to £39 with sky for the same services.

JUST in case VM come up with some late mega deal after I put my notice in, up to what point can I call off the cancel?

Sky wise anyone know if the sky broadband boost is worth the extra £2 a month?
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    Bye Bye VM

Just rang and they said they could upgrade me from 75mb to 100mb at an extra £5 a month.

Bye Bye VM
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Basic TV (Player), old Tivo box, Talk Weekends, M100 broadband.

Price rising from £42.99 to £54.99 next month.

Checked price for new customers (£27 a month for M100 BB and Phone only, no TV), and price if I switch to BT (£30 a month for 50 mbps and landline, £9.99 delivery fee for the router, free landline installation).

Called Virgin. First team I got through to (using menu option to say I was thinking of leaving) couldn't offer me anything. Insisted deals were for new customers only. (Sounded like an overseas call centre.) I asked her what it would cost to downgrade to BB only and she was saying £42. I said that was still too much, and after 12 years with Virgin I would be switching to BT. At that point, she transferred me to the retentions team.

The guy who took the call (sounded as if he was in the UK) immediately offered me £27.94 for 12 months to stay on the current package. I'm very happy with that.
  • danwhy77
    danwhy77 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2020 at 4:59PM
    Options
    HI I have phoned Virgin retentions a couple of times and mentioned how I can get everything from sky for £65 and my VIP package has gone up to £134, they offered me the first the same package for £103, I told them we are long way from Sky, the next time I phoned them the guy offered me £108 I said to him we are not getting anywhere and we going the wrong way in negotiating, I have since cancelled and started my 30 day notice on Friday, how long do you think until I get a phone call back from Virgin? because if I don't get i'm ready to go to Sky unless they can offer me a better deal then I pay at the moment £90 for the VIP, do you think I will get a phone call back from the Retentions team? or should I phone them 1 last time?
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    So got onto VM earlier and found out exactly what I could have as a new customer. Phoned up disconnections this time and said I couldnt believe the new deal and if I didnt get it then I was off

Straight through to level 2 - customer retentions

offered basically the offer for a new customer

bigger tv
    200 mb broadband

Taken.

Did have a think after though. my pc is about 2 foot from the router and on wireless, ran a speedtest and it receives 74mb on wire and 200mb on wired. Of course now I will put my cable in but that means its capped on the router to 75mb? in which case a speed boost will make no difference to the other wifi devices?
  • danwhy77
    Options
    consumers_revenge

that's what I wanted to do but they wouldn't give me the same deal, I have put my notice in, should I try them again today and say the same as you,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback