Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• bhjm
    bhjm Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    paid 32£ for Virgin BB + weekend phone per month
    deal ended, price would go to 55£
    called virgin to cancel, instantly i got offered 42£ / month - i declinced
    4 days later, outbound detention department called.
    they offered me to remain on my 200mbit BB & to cancel my phone line (which i don`t use anyway)
    i am paying now 29£ per month for 18months.
  • patricia1066
    Options
    I have had four calls from retentions now, the last one promised to remove me from the calling list when she recognised my voice.

No offer below what I had in last contract, the cost will rise from £26 to £36 for M50 broadband and M telephone.

The attitude is sorry we can’t match new customers offers, I’m polite but determined.

Still 22 days to go before disconnection.
  • PZ19
    PZ19 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Bigger Bundle Sports 200mb £56 got offered..which I took. Nice saving. Was genuinely thinking of leaving too.
  • soulandy
    soulandy Posts: 163 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At the moment I've been paying £64.95 for TV Full House, M100 Broadband and Talk Weekends phone. I don't really want all the tv channels, so phoned today to try and reduce but got offered the Oomph bundle plus mobile sim for £66!! Told them I already have virgin mobile, separate bill, and trying to reduce the cost not increase it. I Mentioned the Big Bundle but they said that's for new customers and can't offer me that! I'm not bothered about all the +1 & repeats on tv and as I have freeview on my tv I was thinking of ditching the tv side but was told it could cost more in the long run. I have bee with virgin from the very start, NTL days. Is there a way of getting through to a UK based customer service or are they all overseas now? Not moved my contract since 2016 and seen it rise from £34 to £64.95
    Thanks
  • PZ19
    PZ19 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are out of contract then put in your 30 day cancellation. The likelihood is that within a. Day or 2 you will receive a call from retentions offering you a new deal to stay. If you want to ditch the tv, tell them and how much would they do bb and phone only.. I suspect they will offer you something around £45 for what you have at moment. Good luck
  • mouse10
    mouse10 Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My 12 month deal just ended and I cancelled. £25 per month, 100mb with weekend calls. I also got £75 credit.
    It was going up to £50.50 for the same deal, which is ridiculous!
    They just offered over the phone the same deal for £24 per month, no credit, 12 month contract.
  • Rachel_123
    Options
    Been offered £76.25 for xl tv, sky sports (not hd) 100mb broadband. I’m out of contract, would they improve on this?
  • c_smith
    c_smith Posts: 379 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2020 at 2:56PM
    Options
    Rachel_123 wrote: »
    Been offered £76.25 for xl tv, sky sports (not hd) 100mb broadband. I’m out of contract, would they improve on this?

Same package with Sky: Entertainment pack, plus Sky Sports, plus 64-74 Mbps Fibre BB, plus phone line with anytime calls is only £60 per month. Virgin are overcharging.

There's a £20 installation fee, but you'll get around £115 Topcashback and still be £95 up, which if you spread that across the 18 month contract, reduces the £60 a month to just under £55 a month.
  • soulandy
    soulandy Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    soulandy wrote: »
    At the moment I've been paying £64.95 for TV Full House, M100 Broadband and Talk Weekends phone. I don't really want all the tv channels, so phoned today to try and reduce but got offered the Oomph bundle plus mobile sim for £66!! Told them I already have virgin mobile, separate bill, and trying to reduce the cost not increase it. I Mentioned the Big Bundle but they said that's for new customers and can't offer me that! I'm not bothered about all the +1 & repeats on tv and as I have freeview on my tv I was thinking of ditching the tv side but was told it could cost more in the long run. I have bee with virgin from the very start, NTL days. Is there a way of getting through to a UK based customer service or are they all overseas now? Not moved my contract since 2016 and seen it rise from £34 to £64.95
    Thanks

OK, not sure if it's a fantastic deal but after speaking to a couple of guys and then being put through to retensions, I was offered my same deal for £55, saving me £10pm on a 12 month contract. Another deal would of reduced the TV package to the basic for £54pm. So £120 over the year isn't too bad really.
    Thanks
  • c_smith
    c_smith Posts: 379 Forumite
    Options
    soulandy wrote: »
    Thanks

As a new Virgin customer, you can get the same deal you're currently on but with 200 Mbps Broadband, for £49 a month.

Sky do a similar deal with Entertainment pack TV, slightly lower BB (64-74 Mbps) but with unlimited anytime calls to UK landlines and mobiles, for £37 a month. There's a £20 setup fee but you can get £115 Topcashback which will cover that and what's left over will effectively offset your monthly fee by another £5 a month.

Virgin are WAY overpriced and you're being robbed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback