Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• patricia1066
    Options
    I accepted M50 broadband and weekend phone for £23 pm including line rental.
    Its better than the deal I accepted last year and I'm happy with it.
  • JasperAlex
    Options
    Hi, been with Virgin for a while and agreed a new deal without a contract last summer. The agent said she would add a note to the file saying I was not entering into a new contract and that they would be able to honour it without any problems should I wish to cancel.

However every time I have called up to negotiate new price rises afterwards I have had no end of trouble going back and forth trying to point out that I am no longer in contract. Same thing happened this morning when I called to cancel and the retentions manager said she would write an email confirmation to me saying I was no longer in contract and would not incur any fees and that I should receive this within a couple of hours. 9 hours later and no e-mail. Has anyone actually received similar emails in the past or any other confirmation emails outside of their normal contract changes/monthly bills?

Maybe I am worrying too much but I don't want to be hit with disconnection fees and having no proof later on

Thanks (BTW I declined an offer from inbound retentions for £29/m for 100Mb/s and weekend calls)
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just spent an hour on the phone with Virgin. I had been on
    100 Mb
    Weekend Phone
    M TV
    Sky Sports
    Ancient TV box

for £90 a month

Decided to ditch Sky Sport due to the ever increasing price - if there's a match I want to see I can go to the pub - and called with the intention of dropping Virgin TV totally and just using Freeview

After getting past the first call handler who just offered me a few pounds off per month, I got to the real disconnections people

I was offered a choice
    Keep everything as is (inc Sky Sports) £73.50
    Keep TV (lose Sky Sports) £51.50
    Just BB + Phone £49

They refused to offer the current £27 deal on their website which is for new customers.

I then asked about upgrading my current TV box as I've had it for over 8 years and must be the oldest piece of technology in the house. Normally £99 + delivery but after being on hold for 10 minutes they offered to throw that in for free

So I accepted
    100 Mb BB
    Weekend Phone
    Medium TV
    New v6 TV box for free (and was told to throw the old one away as it was no use to them)

So that's the loss of Sky Sports (which can I live without) and a new TV box for a monthly saving of £40.
  • JasperAlex
    JasperAlex Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 February 2020 at 2:44PM
    Options
    Got a callback from outbounds retention after giving my notice yesterday. First was a silent call to the mobile and they called back a couple of hours on the landline. Originally out of contract for £34/m for 100Mb/s and weekend calls. I was initially offered £30/m for the same package but declined since I had already declined an offer of £29/m from the inbound team yesterday.

Quoted talktalk's offer £21.95/m for 67Mb/s fibre and was then offered £24/m for standalone 100Mb/s to drop the phone or £19/m for 50Mb/s. I took the latter with the option to upgrade should it be insufficient. Pretty chuffed with this
  • jockdee
    Options
    Been with Virgin since telewest days. Finally bit the bullet and cancelled after the outbound team could only save me a few pounds. Should I expect a call from retentions soon? Was paying 55 for second lowest TV package with100mb broadband 
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    edited 12 February 2020 at 9:30PM
    Options
    For my parents, they were paying £56 for 70Mb and talk anytime!

Found someone else for £25, with 36Mb and talk weekend (they have a mobile).

Virgin could only offer £33 for 50Mb and talk weekend.  So cancellation  done, leaving 13th March.  New order put in, better phone by 25th Feb if they want to offer £25 or less, as new line is being installed then.

See what happens.

To be honest thinking about not bothering with any deal they offer as when the BT line is done ,free to move to anyone next year (besides Virgin) without an engineer visit.

• JasperAlex
    Options
    Marvel1 said:

Virgin could only offer £33 for 50Mb and talk weekend.  So cancellation  done, leaving 13th March.  New order put in, better phone by 25th Feb if they want to offer £25 or less, as new line is being installed then.

See what happens.

To be honest thinking about not bothering with any deal they offer as when the BT line is done ,free to move to anyone next year (besides Virgin) without an engineer visit.

Nearly spat my tea out when I read that your parents were paying £56 for 70Mb! Even the £33 for 50Mb is ridiculous. Make sure you log into your account to set the preferences for being contacted about offers if you want outbound retentions to contact you.

I was called back the next day so I don't think they are too busy at this time of year. I was offered £19 for 50Mb without the phone so maybe aim for a fiver more with the weekend calls. Good luck!
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Options
    Marvel1 said:

See what happens.

Nearly spat my tea out when I read that your parents were paying £56 for 70Mb! Even the £33 for 50Mb is ridiculous. Make sure you log into your account to set the preferences for being contacted about offers if you want outbound retentions to contact you.

I was called back the next day so I don't think they are too busy at this time of year. I was offered £19 for 50Mb without the phone so maybe aim for a fiver more with the weekend calls. Good luck!
    You weren't the only one.

I told them if they phone to pass my mobile number on to contact me.
  • youandwhosearmy
    youandwhosearmy Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 February 2020 at 12:01PM
    Options
    Full House TV (inc. BT Sport)
    M200 Fibre Broadband
    Talk More Anytime
    £59

Was previously paying £53. Think I’ll get any better?
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Full House TV (inc. BT Sport)
    M200 Fibre Broadband
    Talk More Anytime
    £59

Was previously paying £53. Think I’ll get any better?
    Without anytime calls they even have an email offer set up for £49 (we were sent it 2 weeks after cancellation and after turning down £62 to retain Full House), so yes it should be possible to get it lower. We still haven't gone for that as we are currently paying £45 which is too expensive. I had been paying £27 for the past year until the offer ended.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback