Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• Antperson
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    So did you get train home from Heathrow rather than a delayed flight, or was no replacement flight offered? They should reimburse you all costs, and a refund on your unused part of the flight. They should have found you a hotel.

It was the ICT chaos in May so they didn't help anyone with hotels and couldn't rebook me. I feel strongly they should pay for the hotel and train fare at least.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Antperson wrote: »
    Thanks this is really helpful, if you know where I can find some authority for this that I can quote to BA that would be fantastic.

The Regulation itself - and the Folkerts judgement.
    It was the ICT chaos in May so they didn't help anyone with hotels and couldn't rebook me. I feel strongly they should pay for the hotel and train fare at least.

Hotel and meals should be reimbursed. Consequential losses, like onward transport, isn't - but the general compensation might cover. And you can always ask - including CEDR (who are used by BA as ADR providers).
  • Antperson
    Antperson Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone, will get back on to them. Difficulty I have is they offered a figure that doesn't meet my hotel, modest food and transport costs but I can't work out what bits have been turned down.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone, will get back on to them. Difficulty I have is they offered a figure that doesn't meet my hotel, modest food and transport costs but I can't work out what bits have been turned down.

Just give them a figure, along with receipts. If your not happy with what they offer you ask them for a deadlock letter, which allows you to immediately take your claim to CEDR.

You can claim compensation of 600 euros plus your costs and expenses, so long as you have receipts.

https://www.cedr.com/aviation/docslib/11-cedr-aviation-adjudication-scheme-rules-3rd-edition-final.pdf?v=1490975067

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As they were unable to offer you a re-route the regulation does oblige them to consider other forms of transport instead, ie the train journey you made. So you definitely should be able to claim that.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • cwoolner
    Options
    I applied for compensation straight away & I got an email back saying they would pay but 1 month on I haven't received any money & they've not replied to a single email since.
    Has anyone actually received any compensation from them? It's a really bad show - they could have redeemed themselves by paying the compensation quickly but now I'm angry with them all over again! :mad::mad::mad:
  • Tyzap
    Options
    cwoolner wrote: »
    I applied for compensation straight away & I got an email back saying they would pay but 1 month on I haven't received any money & they've not replied to a single email since.
    Has anyone actually received any compensation from them? It's a really bad show - they could have redeemed themselves by paying the compensation quickly but now I'm angry with them all over again! :mad::mad::mad:

Lots of pax have received full pay outs pretty quickly.

It seems that those prepared to be patient are left till last.

I would phone them and pester them.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • No_Bob
    No_Bob Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I flew from Singapore to Manchester via London last month.

The first flight from Singapore to London was delayed twelve hours. The connecting flight I was due to take in the morning was cancelled and I was put on a flight in the evening.

Because I would arrive too late into Manchester to take a train home, I had to cancel my booked train ticket and catch a taxi home.

I claimed compensation for the two flights, the one from Singapore to London and the one from London to Manchester. I also claimed a refund for the taxi and for the admin fee that the train company charged me when I cancelled the train ticket.

BA said that because my final destination was Manchester, and that my arrival there was delayed by more than three hours, I was only eligible for 600 euros. They would not compensate me for the London to Manchester flight. They referred to EU regulation 261. I couldn't see anything in the regulation that said I wasn't eligible for compensation for the connecting flight.

They've refunded £50 towards the taxi fare but refused to refund the train admin fee.

Can someone point me to the part of the regulation where it says I can't be compensated for a connecting flight, please?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Robert.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    No_Bob wrote: »
    I flew from Singapore to Manchester via London last month.

The first flight from Singapore to London was delayed twelve hours. The connecting flight I was due to take in the morning was cancelled and I was put on a flight in the evening.

Because I would arrive too late into Manchester to take a train home, I had to cancel my booked train ticket and catch a taxi home.

I claimed compensation for the two flights, the one from Singapore to London and the one from London to Manchester. I also claimed a refund for the taxi and for the admin fee that the train company charged me when I cancelled the train ticket.

BA said that because my final destination was Manchester, and that my arrival there was delayed by more than three hours, I was only eligible for 600 euros. They would not compensate me for the London to Manchester flight. They referred to EU regulation 261. I couldn't see anything in the regulation that said I wasn't eligible for compensation for the connecting flight.

They've refunded £50 towards the taxi fare but refused to refund the train admin fee.

Can someone point me to the part of the regulation where it says I can't be compensated for a connecting flight, please?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Robert.

I'm afraid BA are right - assuming you had booked a through ticket, Singapore to Manchester on one fare. The Regulation and subsequent case law focuses on the delay to your arrival at your "final destination" not intermediary stops.

If you bought two separate flights, you would have had an additional claim for 250€ - assuming the Manchester flight was in fact delayed, and you didn't just miss it because of your incoming delay.

Airlines are not responsible for consequential losses under the Regulation - so to get £50 in addition to 600€ is not a bad result IMHO.
  • Tyzap
    Options
    Vauban is right as usual, but if you also wanted to pursue the additional outstanding costs you could do that via CEDR, the ADR provider for BA.

I suppose it depends upon how much you feel BA have short changed you.

Good luck.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback