PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Massive new house issues and overpaid

Options

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Caveat emptor....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • AndyKeogh
    Options
    the only thing you can raise is the defects to the house list the defect then go to the builder if they won't do anything go to NHBC or whoever they used for the new build guarantee.

The mortgage company must have signed off on the purchase price so there will be nothing you can do unfortunately as the guy above me said Caveat emptor = Buyer beware is how all houses are sold in the uk

Andy
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    elmer wrote: »
    I live in a street of 5 identical houses, they were all sold at different prices, we bought at about the middle of the range, but that was just accidental as we were unaware when we bought it what our neighbours paid for their houses. The spread was 20K 15 years ago, so similar to the difference for you now.

15 years later it isn't really anything that makes any difference

elmer

Makes a big difference at the peak of the bubble (now) compared to the start of the bubble (then) The OP is probably massively over-paying for a basic shelter anyway, the neighbours getting 30k off just adds insult to injury. How much did you pay for your house?
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    It's terrible. All other businesses sell their products for the lowest price they can.

For some reason, builders are the only people who will accept a higher price if someone is willing to pay it.

Do other businesses get the benefit of taxpayer money with schemes such as HTB to help inflate, or prop up their high prices?
  • AndyKeogh
    Options
    Got to keep the fake money merry go round going somehow, HTB will make the govenment 100's of millions over the next 20 years (esp now they have ringfenced the 20% so they cant lose if houseprices fall)
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    steveoz wrote: »
    Hi All,

I just wanted some advice on this one.

I recently moved into a new build property in hampshire. There were 8 houses in the street and all are identical.

Before the purchase we tried to negotiate on price but were told they don’t move on price, just throw in extras (as to not lower the value of the properties in the street). Well we got a deal and were told we had upgraded flooring package, kitchen and lots of other stuff that wasn’t standard.

Fast forward a few months and we’ve discovered that all of the properties were sold within four weeks of each other and we paid 30-40k more than our neighbours! That equates to oir entire life savings being wiped out that we put into the house of 40k!

To add insult to injury the carpets, appliances, kitchen etc is all standard issue as it is the same as theirs.

I’m absolutely livid, how on earth can the builders do this?

To make matters even worse we have had a terrible experience, there’s a ton of design flaws so much so the builders are changing the design and plans for the next phase, we’ve had part of the roof collapse, some pretty major plumbing leaks causing internal damage, structural issues and appliances and a snag list pages and pages long.

I don’t know what to do to be honest. We feel let down, ripped off and have a bad quality house all at the same time.

I’m not sure there is anything we can do :(

Life savings shouldn`t be anywhere near property IMO, far too risky now.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    That tea, whether you buy it from Waitrose or Aldi, comes with more consumer confidence than houses. Whatever the supermarket, you'll always get what you expect inside.

Most supermarkets will give you your money back if you're not completely happy with the product. Some will even give you vouchers in addition to the refund as a gesture of goodwill.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I do wish people would name the builder in their OP...
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Did you confirm the others houses got standard and they didn't pay extra for what you got? With all the problems see if they will do a buy back?

You will be real mad when you realizes that the help to by bumped new homes up 50K, on top of the new home premium.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's simple really. Just ask your seven neighbours to each give you £5,000. You'll all have paid about the same then. See it as a great opportunity to introduce yourself to your new neighbours.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport