PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Massive new house issues and overpaid

Options

Comments

• PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies for the miserable keyboard warriors who frequent this forum. There are some helpful people around also.

The best thing at this point would be to get legal advice. You have paid for something, and been partially ripped off.

Looking on the bright side, your property is most likely going to go up in value.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    PhilE wrote: »
    Apologies for the miserable keyboard warriors who frequent this forum. There are some helpful people around also.

The best thing at this point would be to get legal advice. You have paid for something, and been partially ripped off.

Looking on the bright side, your property is most likely going to go up in value.

Via the legal route, what can the OP do regarding being 'ripped off'. The OP agreed to the price, the lender was happy and the valuer were happy at the time.

What legal basis does the OP have a case? Did they have a neighbor clause in their lease? where if they get ripped off their entitled to their money back?

house prices go up as well as down, that is the risk you take when buying
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Why do you think so?
  • lookstraightahead
    Options

Please do not apologise on my behalf. Do you think purchasers of new builds should all pay the sand and that house prices should always go up?
  • billy2shots
    billy2shots Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    I'm wondering if we should all crowdfund a house for crashy. Maybe it's the only way to make him go away!

Yes but only when house prices crash 40%
  • SmashedAvacado
    Options
    OP - in terms of what you paid:

the properties "sold" at the same time were presumably completions (which is what the LR notes) - the contracts / reservations may have been made months or years apart.

you haven't lost anything - at worst other people did a better deal than you

you seem to be sad that people paid less than you. but if you hadnt been told that presumably you would have been happy with what you paid. (obviously but for the condition issues)

On the conditions issue, if you have an NHBC or similar, your builder is also obliged to be a member of the house builders code of conduct. take a look at the web page for that. plenty of people have been compensated.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Life savings shouldn`t be anywhere near property IMO, far too risky now.

If you aver have any you can look forward to yours going on regular rent payments.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    Options
    If you aver have any you can look forward to yours going on regular rent payments.

No, rent payments are a "cost", they come from a different pot. I`m sure there are sections of the website where you could gain some knowledge of basic portfolio construction?
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Could be
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/persimmon-faces-loss-of-help-to-buy-house-contract-nlrq02q7h
    Where a major reason for Persimmon potentially losing HTB is poor quality and failure to fix.

Could well be them. I have a Persimmon development being thrown up 100 yards from me, watching the work experience trainees mucking about with bricks and mortar wouldn't inspire me to buy from them. We have looked at few of their sites in our area, all are untidy, and very few houses are offered for sale in a finished state, a lot of gullible people seem to be buying off plan - no thanks.
  • BrownTrout
    BrownTrout Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I really can't stand new builds. A lot of people who buy them really are gullable
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure