PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Massive new house issues and overpaid

Options
Hi All,

I just wanted some advice on this one.

I recently moved into a new build property in hampshire. There were 8 houses in the street and all are identical.

Before the purchase we tried to negotiate on price but were told they don’t move on price, just throw in extras (as to not lower the value of the properties in the street). Well we got a deal and were told we had upgraded flooring package, kitchen and lots of other stuff that wasn’t standard.

Fast forward a few months and we’ve discovered that all of the properties were sold within four weeks of each other and we paid 30-40k more than our neighbours! That equates to oir entire life savings being wiped out that we put into the house of 40k!

To add insult to injury the carpets, appliances, kitchen etc is all standard issue as it is the same as theirs.

I’m absolutely livid, how on earth can the builders do this?

To make matters even worse we have had a terrible experience, there’s a ton of design flaws so much so the builders are changing the design and plans for the next phase, we’ve had part of the roof collapse, some pretty major plumbing leaks causing internal damage, structural issues and appliances and a snag list pages and pages long.

I don’t know what to do to be honest. We feel let down, ripped off and have a bad quality house all at the same time.

I’m not sure there is anything we can do :(

Comments

• Alan2020
    Alan2020 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry to be blunt but you either had a sheltered life or not realistic.

There is a skill called negotiating a price, you just aren’t good at it. The other buyers were better at it.

Do you really think all the houses are perfect. They all have design flaws, you just fix them as it affects you.

My current one a chalet style house (featured in a lot of adverts ) looks good but has a lot of flaws. Built in the 60s mind. First owner was happy with it but 50years later I sorted them. Air blasting under the first floor joists due to a massive design fault, massive design faults in the warm air heating system etc:rotfl:

You just learnt an important lesson in life, a house is only worth what it’s new owner wants to pay.

However don’t worry, someone else like you exists in this world and will pay more for your house as it was more expensive so must be special
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I shop at Waitrose.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/taylors-of-harrogate-yorkshire-160-tea-bags/020157-9822-9823

My sister shops at Iceland

https://groceries.iceland.co.uk/taylors-of-harrogate-yorkshire-tea-160-teabags-2b-50-free-750g/p/38883

That wipes out my monthly pub night!

As for the design flaws, I presume you have
    * listed them
    * demanded they are repaired/rectified
    * requested a timescale and
    * checked they are also covered by the NHBC warranty (or similar)

??
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That tea, whether you buy it from Waitrose or Aldi, comes with more consumer confidence than houses. Whatever the supermarket, you'll always get what you expect inside.

Because new builds aren't like that, there's more scope for things to go wrong and a much greater need for due diligence on the part of the consumer.

If I were buying a new property, the first thing I'd do is research the builder in some depth and visit some other developments they've done to ask owners for their opinions.

What research did you do? What guarantee did you get with the property and who is it backed by?
  • lookstraightahead
    lookstraightahead Posts: 5,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 February 2019 at 8:54AM
    Options
    House values fluctuate daily depending upon supply and demand, the economy, and so on. People have lost property through negative equity, not been able to pay their bills because of interest rates, and at tgethe other end if the scale become millionaires when properties boomed. Buying a new house has its risks too - a bit like a new car loses value once you drive it off the forecourt, for a while.

I don't know about the other stuff I guess you have to work out / complain - that sounds like it is a pain x

If you stay in the house long enough it will eventually go back up again (I'm sure you would be happy to get more than you paid!) so just enjoy the house - it doesn't really matter what your neighbours have.
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    I shop at Waitrose and Lidl and nothing in between. They're the only two supermarkets I like !
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 908 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I live in a street of 5 identical houses, they were all sold at different prices, we bought at about the middle of the range, but that was just accidental as we were unaware when we bought it what our neighbours paid for their houses. The spread was 20K 15 years ago, so similar to the difference for you now.

15 years later it isn't really anything that makes any difference

elmer
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    steveoz wrote: »
    I’m absolutely livid, how on earth can the builders do this?

It's terrible. All other businesses sell their products for the lowest price they can.

For some reason, builders are the only people who will accept a higher price if someone is willing to pay it.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry OP, but the issue about the price is not something you can do anything about. You just paid too much for it. It's not anyone's fault, just a fact of life.

The problems with your house should be fixed by the original builder. If they aren't giving you satisfaction you should involve the NHBC
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We bought a new house several years ago as a property to let and it was one of the early ones to sell on the site. We booked the plot on a Sunday and on Monday the prices for the whole development went up by £2000. Prices on new developments change this is normal.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If prices went up, would you be willing to pay the difference?

You were clearly happy with the price at the time and paid for it, prices do fluctuate.

It's like buying a new car and realizing it reduced in price a few months/years later, do you ask for a refund?

OP you needed a professional snagger at the beginning
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport