PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 December 2017 at 4:36PM
    Options
    So my DD1 who has 5 children had one of her dogs pts in June, on Christmas eve she had her other dog pts. She and her husband had a long chat, he explained at great length why he thought they should have a few dog free months, not least because SS are looking to place another foster child with them soon.
    Today she sent me a photo of the dog they are meeting at the weekend, a ten year old staffy !!!!! who's owner has died!
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yesterday I answered a poll asking what we were doing on New Years Eve I get lots of them every year. 67% of us will stay at home. There will be lots more on Monday and they will all say the same.

I have to admit most New Year Parties I have ever been to have been damp squids. Even at the millennial.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Floss

DD is going to help me tidy up and hoover round tomorrow.

I thought everyone was going back on Monday morning but it looks as if some of them are staying to lunch so back to the drawing board to think what to cook.

Roll on Tuesday when I can just make an omelette or home made soup for myself. I really love having everyone around but over the last week I seem to have dome more cooking than in over a month.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    Roll on Tuesday when I can just make an omelette or home made soup for myself. I really love having everyone around but over the last week I seem to have dome more cooking than in over a month.

I'd stay in bed and tell them it's their turn.....
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Elona I am pleased - tbh I often get worn out reading what you have been doing to entertain your DD's, and I sometimes want to drive over to you, make you sit & direct operations and do some of your jobs / cooking for you :o:)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh Floss

That is so sweet! To be honest most of the time I am a lazy so and so sat on my bum and reading or on my laptop.

I have been pacing myself and find if I do things in short bursts and take my time it does get done. Having a cleaner for an hour a week is a real boon as she does the heavy stuff like lugging a hoover around, tackling upstairs so I don't have to and will change the beds as well.

The cleaner is off till the 9th of January and can't wait to see her , especially as youngest comes back for her birthday with BF and possibly more dds and so it all begins again ;)

PS

I do love having them - honest! I do enjoy cooking but have got out of the habit of cooking for more than me or a couple so I can freeze things.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There is something about the mere thought of having to stay up until midnight makes me come over all weary. I'm probably in bed earlier on NYE than a lot of other nights
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We will go to bed early then get up again to bring in NY with neighbours....there will be fireworks for several hours.....:(
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We won't be staying up tomorrow night, we'll go to bed when we get tired and I can't stand the TV coverage and reviews of the year or the 'celebrities we have lost in 2017' so normal routine will be much better all round. The day after of course is an altogether different matter, a brand new year and a clean slate, the new start if we need one, a new time to perhaps make changes and plans to give ourselves better and more satisfying lives? a time to consider what is and isn't needed or important in our lives and make them what we want them to be? never easy, always challenging (and that's only the being honest with yourself bit!) but IF you can find the path to the future maybe the best is yet to come? we'll go on the adventure with one another and see???
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 December 2017 at 7:58PM
    Options
    We go to bed but are woken by numerous fireworks! (We live in a large village).
    I can't function without a decent amount of sleep* and I hate 'losing a day' because I have stayed up too late!
    *Well, that's not true - I can function in an emergency, as the last 5 weeks have proved!

I like NYD itself. As MrsLW says, we can make plans and look forward to changes or new hobbies, or travelling to somewhere in the UK that we haven't been before. Yes, there is a tinge of sadness for any losses but I do always treat the new year as an opportunity.
    Of course I fi d it helps to remind myself that the shortest day of winter has past and spring is just round the corner :D

BTW, my caribbean friends celebrate 'Old Year's Night' on the 31st Dec. So the party is about the year just gone.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure