25 Brexit need-to-knows

Options

Comments

• finsburyjames
    Options
    Pet travel

"It’s all very well the govts giving fatuous guidance.
    I approached my vet about what to do with my dog as I intend to travel with her to France in May as I usually do.
    My vet said they had received no advice from govt and she had no idea. What we should do."

Imagine this but for every aspect of overseas trade. For all those businesses relying on imports, patients requiring prescriptions, Airlines unsure of whether they can fly, Banks unsure of their trading conditions, and on and on and on, affecting so much of the economy and society.

Mind you who ever said leaving the EU would be simple. And if someone told such an obvious lie no one would believe it. would they?
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pet travel

I approached my vet about what to do with my dog as I intend to travel with her to France in May as I usually do.
    My vet said they had received no advice from govt and she had no idea. What we should do."

Imagine this but for every aspect of overseas trade. For all those businesses relying on imports, patients requiring prescriptions, Airlines unsure of whether they can fly, Banks unsure of their trading conditions, and on and on and on, affecting so much of the economy and society.

Mind you who ever said leaving the EU would be simple. And if someone told such an obvious lie no one would believe it. would they?

Is that not the problem,the EU do not want us to leave and are making it as hard/expensive as they can in the hope that we change our minds plus it sends out a warning to other countries who are contemplating leaving.:eek:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • organazized
    Options
    What's going to happen when we leave the EU?

Should that be "when, and if, we leave the EU?"
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pet travel

My vet said they had received no advice from govt and she had no idea. What we should do.".........

Common sense (I know.....) says you revert to the situation pre-EU/EEC which was to holiday in the UK or put the mutt into kennels.
    Hardly rocket science.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Im assuming economics isnt your strong point?

If prices fall it will be due to a decrease in demand. If demand falls it will be due to a reduction in lending. If lending falls, if you couldnt afford prior to brexit, you wouldnt be able to afford any easier after brexit.

When you where paying 15% interest rates (In my day.....) everyone always forgets to mention their 20% annual pay rises which more than covered said interest rates. They also forget to mention owning property at a time when property prices increased faster than ever before recorded or seen since. But yeh, it was tough for you. Heres a pat on the back. Pat pat.... pat pat. :cool:

Let's have some facts in this discussion...

I remember the day when mortgage interest rates hit 15 per cent (part of our crashing out of the European Monetary Union). That was in 1992, the bottom of the housing market slump that followed the boom of the late 1980s. That was a time of fairly high unemployment, and pay rises of more than a few per cent were unknown.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It’s all very well the govts giving fatuous guidance.
    My vet said they had received no advice from govt and she had no idea. What we should do.

Your vet should have been aware of this memo

https://www.rcvs.org.uk/news-and-views/policy/brexit/changes-to-pet-travel-in-the-event-of-a-no-deal-brexit/

We emailed this information to all UK-practising veterinary surgeons and veterinary nurses on 6 November 2018.

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Not a lot's been said so far about the impact of Brexit on cruising - and more specifically what happens when visiting various ports en route.

At present it's very quick and simple - have your ship's card containing all your personal information swiped as you leave the ship (and again when you return), and that's it. No passports or passport queues in most cases, and certainly within the EU.

If we leave without a deal (ie no transitional arrangements) that looks like changing dramatically because we'll lose all the benefit of all the international agreements we have as members of the EU, with nothing to take their place.

Long queues at every port leaving and returning to the ship because cruisers have to queue up with everyone else to have their passports checked?
  • we_get_there
    Options
    What does leaving Brexit mean for fixed and veritable mortgages ? to the working man in the UK.
  • Thanks for the guide, Martin.
    Might be worth also talking about food shortages. I've started stocking up the freezer and buying dry goods, I'm also investigating fermentation as a preservation technique for vegetables, just in case the no deal happens, and there's little food in the shops.
    In the longer term there's talk of food prices going up.
  • Joyinbrighton
    Options
    My weekly MMM email just listed a few companies who will pay out if Brexit regulars If flights are cancelled or delayed. However I have just spoken to Axa and Direct Line who tell me Martin Lewes’ advice is plain wrong. Direct Line said they knew about his comments and they categorically stated he was wrong! they WILL NOT guarantee they will cover costs that arise from a Brexit related loss - though they MAY consider it once they know more. I can’t find any insurance policy that will guarantee cover for this - what are we supposed to do? Buying insurance for a holiday you may not be able to go in seems silly,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback