25 Brexit need-to-knows

Options

Comments

• Sparkin79
    Options
    Does anyone know what restrictions will come into play at customs once we leave? Will the customs duty be the same from the EU as it is from outside the EU today? I frequently bring in and ship in goods for personal use worth far more than the current £390 allowance. I assume the 2.5% duty will now be applied to EU products too :(
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 October 2019 at 10:08AM
    Options
    Sparkin79 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what restrictions will come into play at customs once we leave? Will the customs duty be the same from the EU as it is from outside the EU today? I frequently bring in and ship in goods for personal use worth far more than the current £390 allowance. I assume the 2.5% duty will now be applied to EU products too :(

It will change (45 euros appears to be the tax free limit) - https://www.emta.ee/eng/business-client/customs-trade-goods/brexit-and-its-effects-customs-clearance-and-trade-united
    Upon withdrawal, the UK will be a non-EU country (a third country), and the free movement of goods between the UK and the EU will end.
    Certain items will also be banned
  • malaboman
    Options
    Pity about the rush for licences, I sent my application only yesterday, lets see what happens.

If you read the Paris Embassy advice carefully you will note that HMG will guarantee annual rises in State Pensions ONLY until 2022, after that there will be no rises for UK citizens living anywhere in the EU. In other words this Government are pulling the same lousy, rotten stunt that a previous Government (Attlee I think) pulled on UK citizens who had been encouraged to go to Australia, New Zealand and South Africa after the end of WW II. I am advised that HMG have said they are very keen to preserve all the rights of UK citizens in the EU. Given the precarious position that Boris is in I would most strongly advise all readers of this thread to write straight away to their MP, or ex-MP, of any party and let him/her know what the Government are planning. There are 250,000 Brits living in the near Continent who may wish to move back to the UK if their pensions are frozen, this will cause chaos in the housing sector and certainly lose Boris and his crew a lot of votes. Not only is the rise in pensions threatened but I hear in the background whispers that the pension itself could be in danger by 2023 if Boris is still in charge. I have to say I have no proof of the whispers but my UK source is usually good.
  • polystyrene
    Options
    Whilst in the EU, UK prescriptions have been valid in EU27 (and vice versa).

There appears to be no firm information on whether this is going to continue. My guess is that it won't.

A considerable number of people in the UK find that they have to purchase medicines from EU27 (in my experience, primarily Germany) either because of exorbitant pricing in the UK (e.g. about £450 in the UK versus £31 from Germany) or particular formulations (e.g. lactose-free and also not formulated with mannitol).

If UK prescriptions are not going to be valid, many will suffer, some severely.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whilst in the EU, UK prescriptions have been valid in EU27 (and vice versa).
    There appears to be no firm information on whether this is going to continue. My guess is that it won't.
    A considerable number of people in the UK find that they have to purchase medicines from EU27 (in my experience, primarily Germany) either because of exorbitant pricing in the UK (e.g. about £450 in the UK versus £31 from Germany) or particular formulations (e.g. lactose-free and also not formulated with mannitol).
    If UK prescriptions are not going to be valid, many will suffer, some severely.

More so - the possible supply problems of some EU sourced drugs in the UK !
    At-risk drugs include allopurinol, used to treat high uric acid in patients undergoing chemotherapy; exemestane, which is used to treat breast cancer; type 2 diabetes medication metformin; and olanzapine, an anti-psychotic primarily used to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. A range of medications to control high blood pressure also feature on the list, as do a number of treatments to alleviate the symptoms of Parkinson's disease.
    There may be problems with the supply of a number of antidepressants, including nortriptyline, sertraline and venlafaxine.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Who knew knew number 7
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51194363

7. Germany won't extradite its citizens to the UK
    It won't be possible for some suspected criminals to be brought back to the UK if they flee to Germany.
    Germany's constitution does not allow its citizens to be extradited, unless it's to another EU country.
    "This exception cannot apply any more after the UK has left EU," a spokesman from the German Federal Ministry of Justice told BBC News.
    It's unclear if the same restrictions will apply to other countries. Slovenia, for example, says the situation is complicated, while the European Commission was unable to provide comment.
    The UK Home Office says the European Arrest Warrant will continue to apply during the transition period. (That means Germany will be able to extradite non-German citizens.)
    However, it adds that if a country's laws prevent extradition to the UK it "will be expected to take over the trial or sentence of the person concerned".
    End Quote
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • Fitzmichael
    Options
    I've had an Irish passport since the 60s when travelling in recently de-colonised countries, as I was seen, not as a remnant of their colonial masters but as someone like themselves, who had broken free. So, no problem with travel in EU. But what about healthcare and EHIC? I'm well past retirement, so have to think carefully about that.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I've had an Irish passport since the 60s when travelling in recently de-colonised countries, as I was seen, not as a remnant of their colonial masters but as someone like themselves, who had broken free. So, no problem with travel in EU. But what about healthcare and EHIC? I'm well past retirement, so have to think carefully about that.

I am retired just like you but with a British passport living in an EU27 country. So we are not going to be troubled by looking for work which in the EU27 would be next to impossible for me with the ending of free movement.

A useful resource (for me) has been the Gov.uk email updates and the British Embassy in the Country I live in.

If you live in England you should follow the Irish Embassy.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • Dewpoint
    Options
    Handy little guide, but I just wish MSE would give just the facts NOT speculative "ifs" and "maybe's". That the BBC's favourite terrority for scaremongering and political propaganda. Something I hope MSE will never participate in!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Dewpoint said:
    Handy little guide, but I just wish MSE would give just the facts NOT speculative "ifs" and "maybe's". That the BBC's favourite terrority for scaremongering and political propaganda. Something I hope MSE will never participate in!
    Don’t allow yourself to be conned by the media and others who dislike competition from the BBC. It presents facts and intelligent discussion. It does not scaremonger, and it doesn’t do political propaganda.

You must be thinking of the Mail, the Express and the Telegraph.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback