Saving for my first bricks and mortar...

Options

Comments

• thrifty-hayley
    Options
    Hi Dizzy :hello:

You are doing so well! Yay for new job and you have managed to save so much, I'm a little jealous ;) So sorry to hear about your brother, that's awful. Also can you not take action against your old employer if they've cheated you out of money?
    #84 Make £2020 in 2020 challenge
    Grocery Challenge January £0/£80
  • archcherub
    archcherub Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I've been having a little read of other people's stories on here so thought I'd start my own, hoping it'll keep me on track :rotfl:

About me. I'm early 40's and have been renting forever. We have been very lucky with the landlord and not had a rent increase for 10 years, until now. He wanted to increase our rent by half again :eek: I worked out how much rent we'd paid to him over the years and was :eek::eek: , and I realised that I could be paying that on my own house. That's how I ended up here!

I earn below the national average and live in one of the most expensive cities outside of London for house prices. I'm able to put away between £200-£250 a month at the mo but that should change in my favour in the next month or so, to put more away. I've a HTB ISA and "high" interest saving account and a pot at home for odd coins.

I've a very long way to go on this so thought that keeping a diary here might help keep me focused when I find it difficult :)

a saving diary is good. thats what i am here for too.
    don't underestimate those "odd coins" i deposited my odd coins after a few months and got enough for a week of groceries lol
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So sorry to hear the news about your brother. Difficult times for you all. Does he have a pension or union that will pay for/towards the inevitable costs ?

Can ACAS help with old employer ?
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    archcherub wrote: »
    a saving diary is good. thats what i am here for too.
    don't underestimate those "odd coins" i deposited my odd coins after a few months and got enough for a week of groceries lol

Oh yes! I keep all my £2 coins and have deposited about £250 in the last 12 months or so :D I've got another £50 worth but with the change of job, it's more difficult to get to the bank
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Options
    Hurrah for new job and walking- it will make you fit and hopefully you will have new work colleagues and a nicer environment. :jI am so sorry about your brother's illness. That is v hard news to deal with for all of you. I hope he is able to have good days where you can enjoy your time together. :A:A

I am cross about your old employer and withholding your salary. It is horrid when they keep your hard earned money - that happened to one of my friends last year and she couldn't do anything about it. I would be in debt if it happened to me which is why it is good you have savings. :j

Have a good week. The weather's going to be v wet.
    Hi Dizzy :hello:

You are doing so well! Yay for new job and you have managed to save so much, I'm a little jealous ;) So sorry to hear about your brother, that's awful. Also can you not take action against your old employer if they've cheated you out of money?
    So sorry to hear the news about your brother. Difficult times for you all. Does he have a pension or union that will pay for/towards the inevitable costs ?

Can ACAS help with old employer ?

Thank you all :A

Re my old employer - I need to be able to prove that they've stitched me up and I can't. It's all to do with holiday pay for overtime. They've given it then taken it away and then given some of it back again before taking some more away again. it's almost too much hassle :o
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bless you Dizzy, I hope you had a good week and your family is ok.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • NicTom80
    NicTom80 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 9 July 2019 at 8:18PM
    Options
    I have been saving for five years now to buy a property. I am single, in a not well paid industry, living in an expensive area of the country. I got £50,000 inheritance money from my Uncle and have saved £27,000 myself on top of it. I am only just getting to the stage where this deposit and my salary = me being able to buy a property. Ridiculous!

I have just done an updated AIP with my Bank, as had a small payrise confirmed last week and the amount its saying I could borrow is much higher than the last time I did an AIP. I am going to see a Mortgage Advisor as soon as I have made an appointment to check the accuracy of this as it is a huge difference. So fingers crossed. Scary and exciting but at the same time trying not to get my hopes up!
  • pinknsparkly
    pinknsparkly Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your brother Ditzy, big hugs to all your family. And although I know the savings were supposed to be for a house, it's amazing that having them can give you enough breathing room to be there for him!

And it's infuriating about your employer - I sometimes wonder just how much money employers, utility companies, banks etc make out of us little people purely because the entire system is stacked against us with all the power on their side :mad:
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Options
    :dance: :dance: :dance: £5000 :dance: :dance: :dance:

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Dearest Dizzy, well done on the 5k that's wonderful. I hope you are ok and so is your brother.

It's raining here.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family