Forum Home» How much have you saved?

Saving for my first bricks and mortar... - Page 13

New Post Advanced Search

Saving for my first bricks and mortar...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in How much have you saved?
127 replies 24.4K views
1789101113»

Replies

• Dizzy_DitzyDizzy_Ditzy Forumite, Board Guide
    17.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just checking in! Hope all are safe and well. Work is busy busy. Life just as busy and not necessarily in a good way 🙄 the holiday I was looking forward to so much was cancelled but best to be safe. No chance of my holidaying in the UK, everywhere is going to be mad! 

Savings are saving nicely although I’m still not back to January levels yet I don’t think. Not far off though 🙂

I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to [email protected]

• savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    15K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So good to hear from you. Sorry about the holiday but you will be safe. Hopefully you can have a nice holiday when all this corona is over. I hope work is ok even if it is busy and that you get some time to enjoy the weather. 
    Trying to be frugal 18/31Jan; 15/29 Feb 26/31 March 23/30 April 18/31 May 20/300 Jun NSDs.
    Saving change in money box.
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    6.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try and make the most of your home and have a staycation (dislike that phrase!), Have a look to see what's on your doorstep or a few miles away.

Hope everything settles down for you soon.
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    124 posts
    100 Posts Third Anniversary
    I hope you get a holiday at some point! I booked a caravan holiday in Northumberland for my boyfriend's 40th as there's no way we're going abroad this year. It's in November and was very reasonable. I'm hoping that time of year will be quiet as usually the parks aren't even open that late.
    Buying my first house!
  • Dizzy_DitzyDizzy_Ditzy Forumite, Board Guide
    17.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds lovely Atrixa :) 

I have rebooked a little getaway holiday for September and as long as the plane is going - I am on it! This year has been awful for me and I desperately need something to look forward to! The holiday that was cancelled has been rebooked for next year but I need something now! 

A funny thing happened the other day. I logged into my online banking and it showed me some savings accounts where they were paying more interest than my current saving account so I opened one and moved the lot across to my bank account, with the intention of moving the lot from my bank account to my saving account. Turns out that I'd not read the small print properly and could only put in £400 a month :lol: so I had to move a load of it back again :lol: 

I'm not spending as much money out and about at the moment which is fab but my grocery bill has tripled! I was spending less than £20 a week for two of us but now its at around £60 a week :open_mouth: Its because I am not going to different supermarkets for different offers, but sticking to one supermarket. I'll be glad when I can get back to some kind of normal! I'm not happy to go to different shops yet though so I will just have to try and rein it in or suck it up! 

I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to [email protected]

• savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    15K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello Dizzy Im glad you have booked your holiday for September. I hope it is wonderful. So many of us are noticing that our food bill is going up too. I am hoping in 6 months that this will go down. I hope you still get a good offer on your bank account despite all the moving! Weather is glorious today I hope it is by you too. 
    Trying to be frugal 18/31Jan; 15/29 Feb 26/31 March 23/30 April 18/31 May 20/300 Jun NSDs.
    Saving change in money box.
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    6.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The regular saver accounts are pretty good, some people have them across a few different banks / societies, using the money from lower paying accounts to cover the monthly RS's. Normally the institution will return the amount over what's allowed.

Shopping sounds expensive and your holiday appears to be well overdue!