PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More exciting mince recipes

Options

Comments

• lucylema
    lucylema Posts: 834 Forumite
    Options
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Lasagne, Chilli, Spag bol, mince n tatties, mince and onion pie, mince keema (curry), mince pasties, meatballs, mince in a roll/bap, mediterranean mince bake, shepherds pie are a few of my suggestions!
    hth

Mmmm please tell me more about the mediterranean mince bake
    Lucylema x :j
  • nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Mince in a roll - I'd never seen or heard of this until we were in Orkney (think it was Stromness) on honeymoon! DH had one for his lunch and raved about it :)
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lucylema wrote: »
    Mmmm please tell me more about the mediterranean mince bake
    Here it is :). The name is pie/bake interchangeable! It is one of my own so a bit ad lib but I did it when I had a mince dilemma too lol!
    hth
    Mince in a roll - I'd never seen or heard of this until we were in Orkney (think it was Stromness) on honeymoon! DH had one for his lunch and raved about it :)
    Yes mince rolls are common here, as a child growing up in Lanarkshire we had mince n doop- basically buttered bread to dip in the mince! It was a great way of using up leftovers and the 'doop' name made it fun for bairns! (Oh I want some now lol). Hope you got better weather on honeymoon than we have now!
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• webwalker
    Options
    My favourite mince recipe is boil mince drain off liquid, add 1 pint of gravy carrots, peas, onion and a few tomatoes simmer for 10 minutes then put in covered casserole dish in oven until bubbling again, top with suet dumplings and cook for 30 mins at 180c or until dumplings are brown.
    Give me life, give me love, give me peace on earth.
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    One of the things that stretches things like shepherd's pie is to bake it in ramekins. Somehow, it feels as if you're getting a bigger portion, but you probably made one portion less. Also, it feels like more of a treat.

How about adding a bit of red wine/squeeze of tomato puree to the mince mix to make it taste a bit different?
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Hi there :beer: We have an existing thread on mince recipes, so I'll merge this one with it to keep ideas together :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • suewiththeblues
    Options
    :j
    smokey112 wrote: »
    We make a dish we call Marsetti (sp)

mince
    onion
    mushroom
    oxo or bovril cube
    tin condensed tom soup
    tin condensed chicken soup
    cheese
    pasta

Brown mince and onion - drain any fat
    Add some water and oxo cube, add mushrooms
    cook for 30 -40 mins till water is absorbed
    put on pasta to cook
    add tins of soup - stir
    add cheese
    add cooked pasta - stir and serve

Ang
    x

i lost my recipe book a year or so ago with this recipe in it so thanks i have missed it so much!:T
  • Bunny200
    Bunny200 Posts: 627 Forumite
    Options
    lucylema wrote: »
    Good idea. When we got back from shopping we just threw it in the freezer without thinking of portioning it before. If I cook it then re-freese it, it should be ok? Thanks for the suggestion

Yep I usually do that, not that organised that I can cook it on the day I bought it!! As long as its cooked then it can be frozen ok.
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    This Moroccan meatballs recipe is one of my favourites - always get compliments when I serve it to others. The first couple of times I made it with the eggs but now I leave them out as I prefer it like that and I serve it with flatbreads or couscous.

It says beef or lamb mince but I think I prefer beef although a lamb version with some crumbled feta added to the mix is nice too:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/keftamkaouaraspicyeg_86797.shtml
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Had this tonight for tea and it was delicious. The kids loved them too.

Small packet of mince. (250g)
    Half a green pepper
    1 medium onion
    Large pinch of garlic powder
    Large pinch of onion salt
    Large pinch of english mustard powder
    Good splash of Worcestershire sauce
    3 tablespoons of tomato sauce
    Salt and ground pepper
    You can add in some sugar if you want but I found it tasted fine without it.

There was enough to serve one adult and two children

Brown the mince in the pan and then add the chopped onion and the green pepper. Fry together until no fat on the mince remains.

Take off the heat, add in all the pinches, splashes and tablespoons. (I added in some tomato ketchup with a twist of sweet onion too), just rinsed out the bottle as there was just a little left in the bottle so just added some water, gave it a shake and added to the pan). Mix it all together well, if it looks a bit dry, add in a bit of water and some salt and pepper. Stir together, cover and leave to simmer for half an hour, stir in a little flour and water to thicken and it's done. It's really tasty. Had it on toasted white baps and the kids were looking for more, (so was I!!!). It was delicious and the kids now say they prefer it over my chilli which they would eat, morning, noon and night).
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure