PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More exciting mince recipes

Options

Comments

• clutterydrawer
    Options
    parboil and slice the potatoes

cook everything else up in a pot

do alternate layers of potato/mince in an oven dish and bake it....maybe put some cheese/breadcrumbs on top.
    August grocery challenge: £50
    Spent so far: £37.40 :A
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    davetaylor wrote: »
    Anyway, I am looking for something to make with it that will also freeze well. Oh, I am quite prepared to nip out to Tesco's if I need to get any other little bits. I have a slow cooker or the time to do it in a big pan on the hob as I am not working tomorrow.

Chilli, bolognaise, lasagne, pasties, mince'n'tatties :confused:

I'll add this to the existing mince thread for loads more suggestions :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Laurae_88
    Options
    Sarahsaver wrote: »
    sloppy joes? what are they again please!

They are american, its basically minced beef with a tomato based sauce, kind of like spaghetti bolognese, u put it inside bread rolls, they're great for children!
  • hamstercheeks_2
    Options
    davetaylor wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some ideas. I have two packs of mince I want to use up. In my fridge lurking at the bottom is also a bit of celery, loads of tomatoes (a mixture of cherry and ordinary) some fresh chilies, 1 big onion, new potatoes and garlic.

I also have loads of dried herbs, oxo cubes and stuff like that.

Anyway, I am looking for something to make with it that will also freeze well. Oh, I am quite prepared to nip out to Tesco's if I need to get any other little bits. I have a slow cooker or the time to do it in a big pan on the hob as I am not working tomorrow.

2 packs mince
    one onione
    3/4 carrots
    one courgette
    one tin of tomatoes
    one tube of tom puree
    worcestershire sauce
    salt n peppa
    4/5 oxo cubes

brown mince and add onion and cook until opaque, add tinned toms and tom puree then add chopped carrots and diced courgette
    add 8 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce and salt n peppa and break over oxo cubes

cookfor one hour
    well tasty and freezes fab!
    Time is the best teacher
    Shame it kills all the students
    :p
    *******************************************************************************************
  • lucylema
    lucylema Posts: 834 Forumite
    Options
    Just been reading the rubber chicken thread which I have found really interesting.

I have just got a largish pack (950g) of mince from the freezer which I would Like to make last for several meals.

Normally we would make bolgonese for spagetti and then chilli it up for the next meal.

I am thinking I could get more out of it but not sure what to make as usually stick to the same things which is boring.

Your help would be so much appreciated

Thanks
    Lucylema x :j
  • mggirl
    mggirl Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    I stretched a small pack of mince into 2 portions of chilli and 1 shepherds pie earlier in the week by adding the infamous lentils.
    Spag bol could also be lasagne or meatball & pasta bake.
    How about mince/onion/veg pasties ?
  • lucylema
    Options
    mggirl wrote: »
    I stretched a small pack of mince into 2 portions of chilli and 1 shepherds pie earlier in the week by adding the infamous lentils.
    Spag bol could also be lasagne or meatball & pasta bake.
    How about mince/onion/veg pasties ?

Mmmm pasties sound nice, never thought of them
  • Bunny200
    Bunny200 Posts: 627 Forumite
    Options
    I usually add onions, grated carrot, soya mince, porridge oats, lentils, & stuffing mix and can make about 5-6 portions (2 adults &2 kids) from 500g pack. I bung it all in the slow cooker with stock cube and a bit of water, bay leaves and some mixed herbs. I then freeze in meal since portions labelled Mince Base and use that for spag bol, chilli, lasagne and cottage pie.
    We had pure unadulterated mince the other day for spag bol and to be honest you wouldn't have known the difference.
  • lucylema
    Options
    Bunny200 wrote: »
    I usually add onions, grated carrot, soya mince, porridge oats, lentils, & stuffing mix and can make about 5-6 portions (2 adults &2 kids) from 500g pack. I bung it all in the slow cooker with stock cube and a bit of water, bay leaves and some mixed herbs. I then freeze in meal since portions labelled Mince Base and use that for spag bol, chilli, lasagne and cottage pie.
    We had pure unadulterated mince the other day for spag bol and to be honest you wouldn't have known the difference.

Good idea. When we got back from shopping we just threw it in the freezer without thinking of portioning it before. If I cook it then re-freese it, it should be ok? Thanks for the suggestion
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lasagne, Chilli, Spag bol, mince n tatties, mince and onion pie, mince keema (curry), mince pasties, meatballs, mince in a roll/bap, mediterranean mince bake, shepherds pie are a few of my suggestions!
    hth
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure