PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More exciting mince recipes

Options

Comments

• foreversomeday
    Options
    I made a thread about mince yesterday which got merged with another one called Meat, so if you go back about 2 pages you should find some ideas on there, or you could go through my profile to find it. :)

I prefer lean mince and so usually drain the fat off while cooking but I have had value mince before which was gristly - yuck! I am tempted to go to my local asda to find this 25p mince though if it is not sold out! Worth a try :)
    I don't believe and I never did that two wrongs make a right
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A thought of what you could make...

Beef cobbler! Its my fav.:D

its basically a beef stew, all your ingrediants cooked together and baked with plain scones on top - YUM
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • bexbot
    Options
    mmmm... yummy. Meatballs are family favourite at our house.... wish I had some mince in!
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Hi there :beer: I'll add this to the existing mince thread so that you can browse for more ideas ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • CAT££
    Options
    This recipe will make 4 medium pasties for around £3.70.

1/2 lb minced beef
    1 potato sliced into small cubes
    1/2 onion finely chopped
    1 carrot sliced into small cubes
    1 packet jusrol ready rolled shortcrust pastry
    1 egg
    Salt & Pepper
    Bay leaf
    Mixed Herbs
    Worcestershire Sauce
    Beef Oxo mde up wth 1/2 pint boiling water.

Fry mince, potato, onion and carrot in a tablespoon of sunflower/vegetable oil. Slowly add stock, bring to the boil. Add salt, pepper, herbs and a dash of worcestershire sauce and simmer for 20 minutes. Leave to cool. Unroll the pasty and cut into 4 squares. Add a few tablespoons of beef mixture in the centre of the pastry, fold up the ends of the pastry (like wrapping a parcel) and brush with beaten egg. Cook in the oven at 180c/350f/Gas mark 4 for around 20-30 minutes or until golden.

Pasties can be frozen but defrost thoroughly before reheating.

I have just cooked a batch to freeze. Had some minced beef mixture left (enough for 1 small portion). Will have that for my tea tomorrow, served in a large yorkshire pudding!!

Bon appetit :j
    Cat :wave:
  • davetaylor
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some ideas. I have two packs of mince I want to use up. In my fridge lurking at the bottom is also a bit of celery, loads of tomatoes (a mixture of cherry and ordinary) some fresh chilies, 1 big onion, new potatoes and garlic.

I also have loads of dried herbs, oxo cubes and stuff like that.

Anyway, I am looking for something to make with it that will also freeze well. Oh, I am quite prepared to nip out to Tesco's if I need to get any other little bits. I have a slow cooker or the time to do it in a big pan on the hob as I am not working tomorrow.
  • naturally_2
    Options
    Perfect ingredients list for a big pot of Chilli!

... or try scouse, which is basically a big mince stew with beef stock, any veg you have handy and potatoes usually. Delish!

Both freeze fine.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yeah, do chilli - and chips/wedges.
    Grind that celery up and you won't even know it's in there.
  • davetaylor
    Options
    So shall I just chop everything and bung it into the slow cooker and leave it on low all day? I guess if I use all the tomatoes I won't have to bother with a tin of tomatoes?
  • davetaylor
    Options
    Just found a tin of Aduki beans in my cupboard. No idea what they are, but they look a bit like kidney beans. Shall I add them too?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure