Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted?

Options

Comments

• zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    Options
    NTS was available on Tesco Clubcard deals last time I looked. It was £20 for joint annual membership.

Sadly, I forgot to cancel my current membership and they have just stung me £80.
  • moneylover
    moneylover Posts: 1,660 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    zenmaster wrote: »
    NTS was available on Tesco Clubcard deals last time I looked. It was £20 for joint annual membership.

Sadly, I forgot to cancel my current membership and they have just stung me £80.

can only see NT Scotland
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Always cancel the DD once the yearly payment has been taken (you must still tell them) no need to do this till the year is nearly up. Wait a week or so then re apply, otherwise youll pay full price.
  • zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    Options
    moneylover wrote: »
    can only see NT Scotland
    NTS is National Trust for Scotland.

It's valid in England too.
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Always cancel the DD once the yearly payment has been taken (you must still tell them) no need to do this till the year is nearly up. Wait a week or so then re apply, otherwise youll pay full price.

I have just had the renewal letter. It says it will be 88.50 for the 2 of us. It expires 31st August so I was thinking of cancelling it then wait till next spring and get a new annual pass. Do they do deals at the end of summer to get members or should I wait till spring when worth renewing.

Thanks
  • moneylover
    moneylover Posts: 1,660 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 July 2012 at 11:54PM
    Options
    if NTS is valid in England too then its probably the best deal if you have Tesco points I should think - presumably not Wales just Scotland and England?

In the end, I went for single membership as mostly in NI we wanted car parking which would have added up to about £15. It has worked out very well as we also went to just one house/garden (Mountstewart) and until end of first week July you can take a non member for free so didnt pay for husband.

Am sure will use more than the value of my single membership and perhaps next year we will do single in husbands name.

There are special offers and am sure they are sometimes better than others. I got free binoculars, I havent looked at them yet but, if nothing else, they will be enjoyed by the grandchildren.

If you are going to pay to join rather than using Tesco points leave it till the last minute to max out your year - you get a temporary membership number by email within seconds of applying. And don't forget Quidco.

This thread has been brilliant, thank you, when I posted I thought I would be lucky if I got one reply! I should have known better from MSE'ers!
  • paul2louise
    edited 2 July 2012 at 8:38AM
    Options
    moneylover wrote: »
    If you are going to pay to join rather than using Tesco points leave it till the last minute to max out your year - you get a temporary membership number by email within seconds of applying. And don't forget Quidco.

that's probably what I will do. We have the membership till end of August which gives us 2 months yet of wonderful summer to enjoy!!!.
    Then wait till spring next year and get a new pass. Tesco are only doing NT individual trips not annual passes for Scotland so wouldnt be any use.

Does quidco do cashback on nat trust for scotland
    Thanks
  • southern_nick
    Options
    Hi i joined last month via Quidco, £21 cashback.
  • paul2louise
    Options
    Hi i joined last month via Quidco, £21 cashback.

I got £18 via quidco last year so will hang on at least till after it has expired. No benefit from being an existing customer.
  • Bev_B
    Bev_B Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
    I joined via quidco in may when the 12 months for the price of 9 (when signing up to direct debit) was on and got over £20 back, I got the family membership which was about £70 so works out £50 for the year and we'll definately get our moneys worth.

Seems a regular offer so may be worth holding out until they offer it again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure