Mobility car. Who can use it...?

Options

Comments

• DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    This is about the use of the car, not the Blu Badge. But thanks anyway :)
    I think you need to re read sunnyone's post again ;)
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is about the use of the car, not the Blu Badge. But thanks anyway :)

They were fined for using the car with the disabled tax disc on top of BB fraud, the disabled tax disc has its own criteria and its tighter than motabilities own rules.
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Using the vehicle

To claim exemption from paying vehicle tax, the vehicle must be registered in your name or registered in the name of someone you nominate to drive for you (a nominee).
    The vehicle must only be used for your purposes, for example shopping or getting prescriptions.
    If it is being used by the nominee or someone else for their own personal needs, then the exemption will be lost. If you no longer qualify for vehicle tax exemption, you will need to tax your car in the appropriate tax class and pay the correct rate of vehicle tax.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/MotoringAndTransport/Yourvehicleandlicence/DG_10028003
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    DX2 wrote: »
    Using the vehicle

To claim exemption from paying vehicle tax, the vehicle must be registered in your name or registered in the name of someone you nominate to drive for you (a nominee).
    The vehicle must only be used for your purposes, for example shopping or getting prescriptions.
    If it is being used by the nominee or someone else for their own personal needs, then the exemption will be lost. If you no longer qualify for vehicle tax exemption, you will need to tax your car in the appropriate tax class and pay the correct rate of vehicle tax.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/MotoringAndTransport/Yourvehicleandlicence/DG_10028003

Slightly going off topic again with that.

This is a Motability car where verything is provided.

A neighbour of mine has free road tax, but they dont have a Motability car - thye just choose to have the money instead.
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    as the tax is only valid if the disabled person is in the car.

Utter nonsense!
  • pgt67
    pgt67 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Going back to the use of the car we have had motability cars over many years and have got the Insurance from RSA changed to business use as cover for if her car is ever out of commission so in effect the disabled person doesn't have to be present and as one other poster put it if she couldn't use my car should hers be unuseable then I as the disabled person would suffer due to loss of earnings etc....
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lets say for instance, that the person eligable for the motability car is unable to drive and nominates their spouse.
    would it be reasonable for the car to be used solely for the disabled person?
    would the couple need to have 2 cars? one for when the vehicle is being used soley for the benefit of the disabled person and another for anything else?
    no one would get get a motability car if they couldnt drive themsleves, as this would mean accompanying their spouse to work or running 2 cars, both to be driven by the same person!
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But "being used soley for the disabled person" could also mean things like picking up prescriptions and doing errands for them.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i totally understand that.

lets say a wheelchair user that cannot drive themselves.
    they apply for a motability car (reliabled/taxed/insured/serviced) the spouse works. should the spouse retain their own vehicle for work? if they did theyd b nuts!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    i totally understand that.

lets say a wheelchair user that cannot drive themselves.
    they apply for a motability car (reliabled/taxed/insured/serviced) the spouse works. should the spouse retain their own vehicle for work? if they did theyd b nuts!

the reallity of the rules probably means they shouldnt,but like i said a few post up whos going to check,after all our police cant catch an armed killer atm.!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure