Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion

Options

Comments

• PiggyBank2017
    Options
    Hi,

Thought it was worth mentioning that as of 15th June 2017 the EU banned roaming charges so irrespective of which SIM provider you choose you can use your calls and data exactly as if you were in the UK.

Whether this persists beyond 2019 post brexit remains to be seen.

Thanks, Simon
  • Herongull
    Herongull Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 July 2017 at 5:05PM
    Options
    Some bargains around for one month contracts:

For £5 per month on a rolling 1 month contract. ID mobile will give you 1.5Gb, 5,000 texts and 500 minutes. You can cap this contract (but you have to request the cap) and they have data rollover so any unused data rolls over the next month, gets used first and any unused data from the 2nd month rolls over into the 3rd month. The rolllover makes it broadly equivalent to something like a 2Gb contract (given you normally go for a bit more than you need in a contract to avoid running out).

Another interesting one is Plusnet if you already have them for broadband. On a one month rolling contract you can get 2GB, 1000 minutes and unlimited texts for £7.50 a month. Also capped.

With any one month contract, if you see a better deal you can give notice to leave and they will improve your current deal further.

You can get £10 cashback on Topcashback for the Plusnet contract and £5 cashback on the ID mobile contract.

Makes more sense than 1 year contract where you are locked in for a year and so you can't negotiate a better deal until the year is up.
  • dca860
    Options
    A warning about the Plusnet mobile deal being promoted by MoneySavingExpert at the moment. If you want to keep the number from your old mobile network you are likely to run into problems. Plusnet are currently cutting off people from their old numbers but taking excessive amounts of time to compete the transfer process. (Many people are cut off for 10 days and counting, with no sign of progress).

So people are effectively "losing" their old telephone numbers by joining Plusnet. You can read all about it on the public forums at Plusnet (google: 'plunet mobile number port').

What utter nonsense. My mobile, my wifes mobile and my daughter's mobile numbers have been PAC'd to Plusnet over the last 15 months (the earliest when they were 'LIFE Mobile'). Absolutely no problems whatsoever on any switchover. Surprisingly good CS (certainly better than '3' and 'Vectone', the latter being almost impossible to speak to anyone and their email turnaround is up to 23 days).
  • dca860
    Options
    mcfcchris wrote: »
    Hiya,
    I recently signed up for the enhanced sim only pay monthly deal with plus net.
    i have since cancelled the option, and undid the PAC request with giffgaff.
    The initial Sim was lost in transit. The second had to be registered before use.
    After a couple of attempts where i was warned that long delays lay ahead, and three attempts in which i wasted in excess of ten minutes on hold, I started to wonder what the scenario will be if I ever need to contact them for help or assistance?
    They might be the best in the world, but I didn't really want to put it to the test

Chris

I am surprised to read this. Starting 15 months ago, and the last being in June 2017, I have transferred three mobiles in my family to Plusnet. They were moved from EE, 3 and Vectone. I had no issues at all with any moves or porting of numbers. I think you were perhaps unlucky
  • Weemerseymac
    Weemerseymac Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    edited 8 August 2017 at 8:29PM
    Options
    :mad:I have recently signed up for the Plusnet sim only deal on the MSE site and am in the process of having 'discussions' with their customer service why my phone has been disconnected from previous service provider and now 9 hours in I am still waiting and there is 'nothing we can do about it'. It was also suggested I should keep my fingers crossed that it will be connected by midnight tomorrow!!!!! I'm fuming!!! Has anyone else experienced this appalling customer service. Also can anyone tell me why every other time I've ported my number it has taken no more than an hour???
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Whether this persists beyond 2019 post brexit remains to be seen.
    Why people question this is a mystery.
    Why wouldn't it?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Only 16 hours to go on the first two at Plusnet:

500MB data, 500 minutes, 5000 texts £4

3GB data, 500 minutes, Unlimited texts £8

And for BT BB customers:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/#bband

3GB data, Unlimited minutes, Unlimited texts £8 Equivalent to £4.25 after getting £45 Amazon/iTunes voucher.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why people question this is a mystery.
    Why wouldn't it?
    Why would it? The mystery would be any assumption that EU directives will still apply to Britain when it is no longer an EU member.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • LE100
    LE100 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Herongull wrote: »
    Some bargains around for one month contracts:

For £5 per month on a rolling 1 month contract. ID mobile will give you 1.5Gb, 5,000 texts and 500 minutes.
    Can anyone comment on this deal please?
    Is it competitive / Is there any catch / etc?

Link here:
    https://www.idmobile.co.uk/shop/pay-monthly/id-pay-monthly-sim?network=idmobilew&tariffcode=idwis085

It seems very cheap! Too good to be true?

The thing about "piggybacking off Three" - is it just as good as being "directly" on the Three network?
  • glocal
    glocal Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is that new Three 'Unltd mins & texts, 4GB (4G): £9/mth' deal available only to new customers or as an additional contract? I am on a monthly contract and would like to switch to that (and keep my number). Is that possible?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback