Forum Home» Phones & TV» Mobiles

Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion

edited 12 November 2018 at 2:33PM in Mobiles
678 replies 180.6K views

Replies

• AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOL

or maybe you need to tell them you want to leave.

can't remember.
  • Plusnet have stated that it may change in the future but the future could be anytime in the distance near or far.
    For PlusNet the future can be unseeable. They promised a new billing system 6 years ago, still promising it.

Do not hold your breath for promises of jam in the future, unless you can survive without any oxygen.
  • Also wonder how Plusnet are getting along with developing their usage app. Rolls eyes.
  • boatmanboatman Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you leave BT because of price increases, you will continue to get your £5 discount for the remainder of your mobile sim contract even if you cancel BT phone and broadband.
  • WARNING about TPO (The People's Operator) which currently has a deal being promoted by MSE.

TPO doesn't support calls to the NHS 111 number, which is a serious safety issue since 111 is now the only way to access a range of NHS urgent care services and since there is no longer any alternative 0300 number. For example, where I live in west London, out of hours GP services can only be accessed by dialing 111. I have a newborn baby at home and found this out the hard way when the little one was unwell during the evening!!!

MSE Team - I have a written response from TPO acknowledging that they do not support 111 and are not actively working on adding support in the future. Please contact me directly if you want to see it. I would be surprised if there weren't an Ofcom mandate for all carriers to support 111 calls. If that's the case, in my opinion you should remove them from the site until they comply with their legal obligations.

Another TPO limitation, they require a £50 payment before they will activate roaming - I'm not aware of any other carriers that require this.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Virgin Mobile won't let you roam until you have paid for three bills, unless you want to deposit £50 to your account and get roaming sooner. This is certainly the case on SIM Only plans.
  • mskadumskadu Forumite
    54 posts
    Had been an O2 small business customer for a few years now. Until recently paying approx 23£ for sim-only, 1 gig of data and unlimited calls+texts.

Don't really make a lot of calls (approx 400 mins) and texts (prob no more than 25 at best). But use a lot of data (always reached my 1 GB limit).

Spotted a good deal on Tesco mobile via this article which gave me 6 GB data with more than necessary calls/ texts on a 12 month SIM only contract. All for 13£.

Called O2 to cancel and with almost no haggling got a 13£/ month sim-only deal with 30 days rolling contract for the same price. And it got me 7 gig of data for unlimited calls ) texts.

Now that's profit in every sense. Thanks MSE!
  • 40a40a Forumite
    2 posts
    Just phoned Three to ask if I could change my expired contract to the 8GB/600m/FAH Advanced plan for £12pm and they said could only offer that for £18pm! Then they cautioned me that contracts purchased through third parties have a risk of unexpected un-notified price rises. They blamed Carphonewarehouse, but when was the last time you could get a Three contract through them?! Also mentioned something about different terms and conditions.

They couldn't really offer me a similar deal so I said I'll take up the MSE offer and request a PAC code. They said I'd have to change to PAYG first and then port the number over.

They don't make things easy do they... -_-
  • If it says eg 3 gb(4G) I assume you will get 4G speed if your phone is compatible but I am also correct in assuming that if you have only a 3g phone you will still get that amount of data allowance, it just won't be at 4G speed but at 3g. In other words it still works just not as fast??? Please clarify thanks
  • Marvqn1Marvqn1 Forumite
    550 posts
    If it says eg 3 gb(4G) I assume you will get 4G speed if your phone is compatible but I am also correct in assuming that if you have only a 3g phone you will still get that amount of data allowance, it just won't be at 4G speed but at 3g. In other words it still works just not as fast??? Please clarify thanks

Yes, if it says 3GB (4G) you get the same data allowance if you use the SIM in a 3G phone.