PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 - A Clutter Free Life

Options

Comments

• ailz95
    ailz95 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    When we moved in with my MIL in 2013 (she couldn't live alone any more) we brought most of our stuff and added to hers in an already cluttered house. We're finally getting things sorted out - though I've noticed that DH send his mother's stuff to the cs not ours!! I've finally managed to empty one larder fridge with a small freezer and moved our fridge/freezer into the kitchen. That just leaves another freezer in the garage to empty. Having come from the cold and snowy North (OLdham, Manchester) I'm used to keeping a store of foodstuffs ready for being snowed in - well not being wheechair weather - and I've not yet got used to the idea of that just not happening.

De-cluttered 2 jars of Seitan today - the meat eaters thought it was beef, but it's vegetarian. Made a nice pie.

I've another bag for cs on the go - couple of pairs of trousers so far. Plus a bag of 'stuff' to take to my daughter of another mother when we go away on the 11th.
    Clutter free wannabee 2021 /52 bags to cs. /2021 'stuff' out of the place

YOU CANNOT BE ALL THE GOOD THAT THE WORLD NEEDS, BUT THE WORLD NEEDS ALL THE GOOD YOU CAN BE
    taken from Shelbizleee on YouTube - her copyright
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello all.
    Well the saga of the old TV disposal goes on.... and on :(. Yesterday we were scuppered by 2/3 ins of snow which suddenly fell from the sky in the morning, closing schools and making the roads dangerous, as we live half way up a mountain. Then today we had a bit of a nightmare ! My Dad rang in a panic early, as he woke to water coming through his bedroom ceiling, he got up, put the light on and bang - blew all the electrics :eek:. Hence he called in the cavalry..........us :p ! We went to Dad's house and DH has secured/isolated the light fitting, renewed the power to the house and spent some time on the phone to Dad's insurance company. I changed the bed, dried the duvet ( fortunately only one end was wet ) and washed the bedding. I've remade the bed and moped up the water, most of which luckily fell on the ottoman, and I've hoovered up the bits of plaster. I did try to get him into the other bedroom which was my late DMs, but he wouldn't hear of it. So he has 2 buckets at the bottom of his bed to catch the drips :eek:. We are now waiting for a call from a roofing company.
    So the TV and all it's packaging is still here :mad:. Our next free day will be Tuesday but I wonder what unforeseen events will try to stop us again :p. TBH I'm getting fed up of having to dust the old TV which is still in the dining room :(

MrsSD are you sure you can't buy a new DH ? I'm in the market for an "Avengers Thor" look-a-like :rotfl:. ( Just for some eye candy you understand ;) :whistle: )
    ailz95 I've never heard of Seitan so I g00gled it. Thank you I might try that. I'm not a great meat lover but DH is, and he may never know I've used it until afterwards ;).
    Keep on decluttering all :T.

My hug bucket is full, so please take as many as you want or need.
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    277-279. - Furniture boxes into recycling

280. Polystyrene from packing into bin
    281. More old carpet cut up and moved out of room
    282-284. Old light fittings binned
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    From 31/3 onwards I've decluttered:
    2 bags of bulbs and a magnolia sapling into a tub in the garden, the jarful of dud batteries into the recycling, five random bits of paper, two empty moisturisers and an empty hand cream and a couple of booklets. There are a few oddments ready to go to charity (they only get counted when they get there).

Other than that I've heard that the massive recycling wheelie bin of cardboard has been collected from Mum's house, never to haunt me again. :)

This is a busy time at work and DH is poorly so decluttering is a bit slow off the mark but we are also clearing a room so the decorators can fix it up next week, which I'm hoping will also mean a few bits and pieces going. Not ideal timing, but it never is and at least we'll have nice walls and a little more space.

So, another 14 items bringing my total to 477 this year.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Stayed dry today with lots of sunshine but a chill wind.
    DH has been up in the loft to get some loft boards to finish making his garage workbench & he & DSis finished it off today whilst I walked to the P.O. to get 5p stamps to top up the new (more expensive) postage to Europe & caught the bus to sm. Ended up being quite a large shop + I treated myself to a cappuccino & stem ginger biccies. Also treated us to an Euromillions ticket each. Guess who won - me - £4.10 :D - I won’t let it change my life :rotfl: Dinner was breaded fish, oven chips, peas & sweetcorn.

Only a few items decluttered today :(

883 - 887 Plastic bottle, magazine, empty beer can, glass jar & metal lid - Recycled
    888 Empty plastic oil bottle from garage - Tip
    889 - 890 Slotted Serving spoon, pair of pyjama bottoms from DSis - CS bag

Well Done choille, chupachups4, ScarletRibbons, ailz95 & Barny1979 :T

That did make me laugh 😂, nannywindow. The thing is I rather like my DH - especially as it has taken me almost 30 years to train him :rotfl: (although I have to give his dear departed mum a lot of credit for raising him so well on her own) What a nightmare day nannywindow :( - I hope you don’t get called out to empty the buckets ;)

See you all tomorrow my fellow declutterers - “hopefully I can get my ‘arris in gear & do some actual decluttering - it is not that there isn’t plenty to do :rotfl: “

MrsSD
    890/2019
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • chupachups4
    chupachups4 Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    Good Morning,

1049-1062: 14 items sold, 64 euros in the travel pot

listed 11 items
    1st goal: 0/936 euros
    2nd goal: 0/15160 euros
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yeah, CS bag through the door yesterday :j so that will be getting filled for Mon am collection.

Reclaimed 2/3 of my spare room, looking so much nicer, just pondering a furniture re-shuffle, but have to enter room of doom first, as part of the re-shuffle means "something" has to go in there :eek: once I remove the 2 sets of drawers, table & 4 chairs, pair of ladders, & microwave (I treated myself to a new one) just to mention the larger items :o

5 parcels to post.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    edited 6 April 2019 at 1:39PM
    Options
    Haven't posted for a while and decluttering had been slow but here goes

334 a sheet of glass
    335 a toy penguin
    336 book
    337 flower press
    337-340 some cards
    341 a broken chopping board
    342 paperwork shredded
    343-345 metal clips
    346 a broken torch
    347 out of date membership card
    348 pen lid
    349 pillow
    350 vacuum - broken
    351 vacuum hose
    352 laundry basket
    353 a broken drawer

Will try and post more regularly and read more.
  • Rootle
    Rootle Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options
    12/52 - I mustered up the energy to tackle the 2nd hall drawer! Easier this time but still a haul of paper recycled and binned.

13/52 - a perfume bottle dismantled and glass recycled (and a pair of holey pants binned.

14/52 - a snack box subscription cancelled so no more weekly box to recycle (and some pennies saved)
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Another dry day but oh so very cold brrrrrr - I had to put the heating on grrrr. My £25 from ERNIE arrived today - yippee. DSis had a long soak & then watched TV in her room. DH has been busy in the garage again. He reinforced his 2nd workbench so that it will take the weight of a heavy duty toolbox. He then decided that he was going to put up an LED light (the lighting is a bit dingy in the garage) but then got distracted - ha ha. He cleared the storage area above the garage door & tomorrow he will be ‘boarding’ it. However clearing it down did result in some decluttering :j Why on earth Justin required the things we found is a mystery (and yes I did start to sing the Toyah song as I typed :rotfl: - just to show my age!)

891 - 895 Booklet, 3 large cardboard boxes, small cardboard box - Recycled
    896 - 900 Three x 2’ square bits of carpet, 2 broken fluorescent light fittings with their lights - Tip
    901 - 909 Three long pieces of guttering, long piece of skirting board, large piece of roofing felt, long piece of metal & long padded piece (from an old sofa :eek:) manky sofa cushion, large bit of carpet - into neighbour’s Skip (did have permission :D)
    910 - 911 Pen lid, coffee tin filled with kitchen detritus - Bin
    912 - 914 Two large pieces of kitchen worktop repurposed as top of workbench & one box of tiles repurposed as covering for the toolbox bench.

I am still reducing the contents of my freezers - tonight was Somerset chicken, boiled potatoes & green beans - delicioso

Well Done Cherryfudge, chupachups4, Frayed Knot, villagelife & Rootle - keep up the good work :T

Happy decluttering everyone.

MrsSD
    914/2019
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure