Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Jet2.com ONLY

Options

Comments

• PomBear
    PomBear Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    Dave - In light of Tyzap’s post, could it be that the person you spoke to was unaware of this particular case? Perhaps it’s worth chasing again...
  • Dave45040
    Dave45040 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 21 June 2018 at 5:19PM
    Options
    PomBear wrote: »
    Dave - In light of Tyzap!!!8217;s post, could it be that the person you spoke to was unaware of this particular case? Perhaps it!!!8217;s worth chasing again...

The person I spoke to on Monday apparently checked my 'file' and then said that, as they were aware that Jet2 had settled a claim last week (for the same flight), they would now send a request to Jet2 for them to pay out for me. I would have thought that, as soon as they knew that someone had been successful, they would automatically send off the request, and not wait for me to instigate it by calling up to get a progress check (which I only did as I new POMBEAR - had been successful). The cynical side of me thinks that maybe they were hanging onto the coat-tails of another passenger on this flight (they could easily find out from here that someone else was 'seemingly' doing all the work for them), something which I (as well as anyone else) could have done myself, for free.

Apart from their acknowledgment of the claim I have never received any correspondance / update from them, in fact the only time I have had an update is when I previously called in to see if there was any news. Even on Monday, when I was told they would send the request to settle to Jet2, I was told I would get a copy of the request by e-mail - but as yet this has not arrived.

Don't get me wrong, I instructed Bott & Co (on behalf of the 6 of us) in full knowledge of the costs etc. - but I did also expect them to be a lot more pro-active than it looks like they may have been.
  • PomBear
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    the mind boggles...
    Don't "poke" the bear? :rotfl:

I might growl!
  • PomBear
    edited 21 June 2018 at 10:10PM
    Options
    PM49 wrote: »
    Looking for some help
    We were delayed traveling out form Leeds to Malaga by over 6 hours . The plane apparently had a technical fault which was not reparable. We were then bussed to Manchester,on the hottest day of the year, but admittedly provided with a food voucher. The plane left at 4pm not 09:35 and I completed the Resolver forms whilst still away I was pretty sure Jet2 would be paying out. I now realise it may not be plane sailing, but I have done as asked and submitted via post all documentation . They signed for this and acknowledged in a letter dated 31/5
    In that letter , they said it would take some considerable time to investigate fully .
    I m unsure how long to give, I know I need to give them a reasonable amount of time before next step
    Could do wi th advice on time and what the next step is ? I m sure you ll be able to assist though it does sound like I may need to be ready to fight.
    There were apparently 235 people on the flight so would be great to know if any are reading on here . I do know as we finally boarded a number of people were planning to claim. And I do hope people do . For us a 4 pm flight would have considerably cheaper, but I booked the early flight as we had 100 plus miles to travel and we ended up getting there at 11:45pm exhausted instead of enjoyed the festival for the afternoon and evening,
    All advice appreciated

To give you some ideas around timing: I sent my first claim to Jet2 and it was acknowledged on 31 August. Subsequent letter denying claim was dated 18 September. I then issued an
    NBA (read Vauban’s guide - don’t end up playing letter ping-pong). They acknowledged this within a week or so, dated 27 October. Jet2 then responded, again, denying my claim with some ridiculous case law (county court so not binding). This was dated 20 November, but it didn’matter at that point, I issued proceeding at around two weeks after their acknowledgment - so mid November. What I would say is,don’t hang around. If you have a case, go for it. If it appears complex, then consider a NWNF. If Jet2 insist on defending, expect to go to court. They may not settle until they get your witness statement. You need to think about how well you can put this together. If it’s straightforward, then DIY it. If it’s slightly complicated (and it is possible to DIY it, I did), this will come down to how much time you have to spend researching and drafting a watertight argument, and how confident you feel. The devil is in the detail. I spent hours and hours putting together my witness statement. It ran to 10 pages of A4!
  • PM49
    PM49 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Well .. I was totally shocked today .. within the 28 days, I came home today to a letter from Jet2..
    Having spent time last night gearing myself up to the Next advised step .. I find myself n my mat a lovely letter .. Legal Angel you ll be impressed jet 2 used your words nearly

.... I was sorry sorry to read your flight was delayed and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused .
    Heading for the bank tomorrow with the cheques

Thanks all . Hopefully others are going to get what’s due too
  • PomBear
    Options
    Excellent - perhaps Jet2 are turning a page? We can but hope!
  • PM49
    PM49 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    And PomBear it may all be down to your tenacity
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Excellent - perhaps Jet2 are turning a page? We can but hope!

I doubt J2 are changing in any way.

This case was un-defendable, even by them. Perhaps it proves they learnt an expensive lesson at the supreme court, that technical faults are not an EC:)
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • PomBear
    edited 21 June 2018 at 11:31PM
    Options
    PM49 - no, not down to my tenacity. Take note of what Tyzap has said... He is far more knowledgeable than I am.

One of the things I would say is that Jet2 have entered the holiday market. For booked holidays that binds them to ATOL and ABTA, there is reputation and other repercussions to consider. When you have a plane load of holiday makers on one of your flights, it may shift the boundaries around whether the airline is willing to sub-charter an alternative. Unhappy holiday makers on a package won’t use a company again if they lose a substantial chunk of their holiday...
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    PM49 - no, not down to my tenacity. Take note of what Tyzap has said... He is far more knowledgeable than I am.

One of the things I would say is that Jet2 have entered the holiday market. For booked holidays that binds them to ATOL and ABTA, there is reputation and other repercussions to consider. When you have a plane load of holiday makers on one of your flights, it may shift the boundaries around whether the airline is willing to sub-charter an alternative. Unhappy holiday makers on a package won’t use a company again if they lose a substantial chunk of their holiday...
    Doesn't stop TUI denying/not paying a huge amount of claims....
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family