IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

NEWBIES!!! [Sticky Thread Comments Archive]

Options
Coupon-mad
Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
edited 1 December 2013 at 8:47PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS AN ARCHIVE THREAD
WHERE COMMENTS HAVE BEEN MOVED FROM THIS STICKY:

NEWBIES!!! HAVE YOU GOT A PRIVATE PARKING TICKET?**READ THIS FIRST**!! Thankyou!!!!
PLEASE DO NOT ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE.
IF YOUR QUESTIONS ARE NOT ANSWERED ALREADY ON THE STICKY THREADS,
PLEASE NO PRIVATE MESSAGES, JUST START YOUR OWN NEW THREAD.
PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD

Comments

• 4consumerrights
    Options
    +1CM-Excellent Post - Should be stickied - I gave a similar list of acronym meanings in the early hours today on another thread #5 http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4814557

Perhaps you could add BPA (CoP) and LBCCC/LBC/LBA to your list above?
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Added those, thanks!
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Great stuff C-m, as per usual.

This will really save hours of repetitive typing per week to explain base 1 details. This should free up some valuable time to deal with more complex issues.

Excellent thread, and hopefully soon to become a sticky. I've bookmarked for my ease of use in any case.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • kirkbyinfurnesslad_2
    Options
    It is a sticky :) time saver is what we need
    Proud to be a member of the Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Gang.:D:T
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 November 2013 at 9:49AM
    Options
    c-m.

Trying to read this as if I was a newbie, may I suggest a slight change/addition to your point about waiting for a NtK?

You wrote

"Under POFA 2012 the registered keeper has a stronger set of appeal grounds than a driver does, in most cases when it comes to POPLA stage. Another reason is if a PCN does not mention POFA 2012 then the PPC can only pursue the driver, so by appealing as the keeper you keep that information anonymous. Another reason to wait is that some PPCs never send any letters - and indeed some are not allowed to get the DVLA data at all if they are not a member of an 'Accredited Trade Association' such as (but not necessarily always limited to) AOS members. So numpties who rush to appeal could be (at worst) handing a scam artist their details on a plate and (almost as bad) pointlessly throwing away appeal grounds open to the keeper.
    "

That is all correct, of course, but the point that may make it clearer to newbies is that under POFA, the PPC can only pursue "the registered keeper as opposed to "the driver" if they follow a strict set of "rules" covering words and timescales on the NtK. If they mess that up, they are left trying to chase the driver without being able to fall back on the keeper.

Not news to you, of course, but it isn't as clear to as it could be and, of course, explains why appeals should always draw clear blue water between driver and keeper..
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Thanks GD! Very happy to tweak it whenever anyone adds some feedback.

I did only cobble it together in about 15 mins in frustration at facing three pages of new threads full of 'I have got a fake PCN, what is my next step?' posts!
  • karyn254_2
    Options
    Sorry I've deleted and posted in correct place :-)
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Can I suggest you add something like this to the top of post #1?
    NEWBIES. THIS IS AN INFORMATION THREAD.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE.
    PLEASE START YOUR OWN THREAD - CLICK THE BUTTON BELOW TO DO SO.

newthread.gif

Perhaps this should also be included on the other Sticky information threads?
  • 4consumerrights
    Options
    C-M Could you also consider adding contact details for complaints to the BPA and DVLA as these are useful resources to influence getting parking charges cancelled:

Elizabeth M Symons
    Data Customer Compliance & Assurance Manager
    Data Sharing Team
    C1East
    DVLA
    Swansea
    SA99 1DY

[EMAIL="elizabeth.symons@dvla.gsi.gov.uk"]elizabeth.symons@dvla.gsi.gov.uk[/EMAIL]

Steve Clark
    Head of Operational Services
    British Parking Association
    Stuart House
    41-43 Perrymount Road
    Haywards Heath
    West Sussex
    RH16 3BN

[EMAIL="steve.c@britishparking.co.uk"]steve.c@britishparking.co.uk[/EMAIL]
  • Nemron
    Options
    Hi coupon-mad,

Thanks very much for this thread. However, I'm a little confused about one of the points you wrote:

"Only send an appeal or challenge when the PPC send you the postal 'Notice to Keeper' (NTK) or 'reminder to keeper' or Parking Charge' or 'charge notice' or whatever they call their first letter. It has to arrive by day 15 if there was no windscreen ticket"

I received a Parking Charge Notice from APCOA more than 15 days after the incident occurred (even when looking at the date of issue on the letter it is beyond 15 days). I assume, based on what you wrote, that this is some form of breach of rules, however when I did a quick ctrl + f through the legislation I could not find anything on this. Could you, or anyone else, kindly elaborate on this and/or point me where this is covered in the rules?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure