25 Brexit need-to-knows

Options
Former_MSE_Callum
Former_MSE_Callum Posts: 696 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
This thread is specifically to discuss the content of:

25 Brexit need-to-knows

Comments

• benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That article is more like 25 Brexit we-don't-knows
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Here we go again, another MSE non-guide.
    Warning - some of this guide is based on intelligent guesswork

Some. A lot therefore isn't. Make of that what you will.

Is there not a Brexit thread this could go in?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pure speculation then.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If, buts and maybes!
  • TREVORCOLMAN
    Options
    So if house prices fall then surely all those who complain they cant afford them will then be able to? Particularly with the historically low interest rates now in place - some of us remember paying 15% interest in the past!
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So if house prices fall then surely all those who complain they cant afford them will then be able to? Particularly with the historically low interest rates now in place - some of us remember paying 15% interest in the past!

Im assuming economics isnt your strong point?

If prices fall it will be due to a decrease in demand. If demand falls it will be due to a reduction in lending. If lending falls, if you couldnt afford prior to brexit, you wouldnt be able to afford any easier after brexit.

When you where paying 15% interest rates (In my day.....) everyone always forgets to mention their 20% annual pay rises which more than covered said interest rates. They also forget to mention owning property at a time when property prices increased faster than ever before recorded or seen since. But yeh, it was tough for you. Heres a pat on the back. Pat pat.... pat pat. :cool:
  • parchedpeas
    Options
    More pretty shameful fence-sitting from MSE and Martin on this issue.

If the three deals - Remain, PM's deal and no-deal were in an MSE Best Buy chart, then Remain would be the top pick and Martin would be on the telly rallying against the other two as "rip-offs".
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    More pretty shameful fence-sitting from MSE and Martin on this issue.

If the three deals - Remain, PM's deal and no-deal were in an MSE Best Buy chart, then Remain would be the top pick and Martin would be on the telly rallying against the other two as "rip-offs".

Well this is where this site can struggle on occasion.

Look at the best buys in say banking. You tend to find there will be the one that offers the best dollar (Cashback). There will be one that offers the best lending rates and there will be one that offers the best customer service.

I can imagine thats why Martin is sitting on the fence because he is acutely aware that something as subjective as Brexit will be based solely on people personal preference in relation to their desires on the outcome.

Remain wouldnt be the best buy from my perspective as it doesnt fit with my desires. Martin might think the best buy is to remain but that is a personal choice weighing up whatever factors he uses. Put simply best depends on the metric used, on something like brexit that metric is as diverse as people are independent.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Im assuming economics isnt your strong point?

If prices fall it will be due to a decrease in demand. If demand falls it will be due to a reduction in lending. If lending falls, if you couldnt afford prior to brexit, you wouldnt be able to afford any easier after brexit.

When you where paying 15% interest rates (In my day.....) everyone always forgets to mention their 20% annual pay rises which more than covered said interest rates. They also forget to mention owning property at a time when property prices increased faster than ever before recorded or seen since. But yeh, it was tough for you. Heres a pat on the back. Pat pat.... pat pat. :cool:

Single income families mainly. The Mrs stayed at home to bring up the children, unlike these days of 'entitlement' to 3rd party 'parents'.

I can't remember 20% pay rises......but I can remember several years of struggling and going without some 'necessities', and having to drink home brew cack.

All done without complaint.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »

As someone who lived through that time and couldn't afford to get on the property ladder, I'd be interested to know just who was getting 20% pay rises. It certainly wasn't me or anyone I knew.

Examples please.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure