PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Table-top halogen ovens

Options

Comments

• mystery1100
    Options
    Thanks for that, will take a look at the thread now :)
  • dinerouk
    dinerouk Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I should think that these ovens would be better used in Summer. In winter, cooking in a normal oven would warm the kitchen whilst cooking, thus allowing one to turn off some or all heating, ergo, less energy and lower bills.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well after weeks of reading comments on this thread and other reviews I've taken the plunge and ordered a JML. Just hope it lives up to my expectations now, and doesn't end up in the cupboard with the Magic Bullet and all the other gadgets I haven't been able to resist!

Will report back.
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • ailz95
    ailz95 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I've been given one of these, but haven't used it yet, as I don't know how to!

Do I need to put things in dishes or on baking trays or do I just put them in the bowl?

Thanks
    Clutter free wannabee 2021 /52 bags to cs. /2021 'stuff' out of the place

YOU CANNOT BE ALL THE GOOD THAT THE WORLD NEEDS, BUT THE WORLD NEEDS ALL THE GOOD YOU CAN BE
    taken from Shelbizleee on YouTube - her copyright
  • Lily-Lu
    Lily-Lu Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They had these ovens on the Ideal World shopping channel last week. I've been wanting something smaller (than having to use the cooker oven) for a while now. orderd one, but am still waiting for it to be delivered. It looked good, so I hope it lives up to expectations.
    Will report on how good/bad I think it is, once I've used it a couple of times:D
  • kittykat500
    Options
    I tend to put meat, fish, sausages, pizzas etc. onto a glass/ceramic quiche dish to avoid cleaning the oven each time - works well. I've also used a magic liner(similar to greaseproof but thicker, reusable and more durable) on top of the wire rack. For roasts, they go in the bowl itself. You can also re-use metal takeaway containers for smaller portions of food.

The only thing I haven't had much joy with is making yorkies and cakes in the halogen oven but then I'm not the best baker - my cakes generally turn out like they've been baked by Bovis construction!

I've found this link on Google with some recipes and info on halogen ovens. Hope this helps.

http://cherrymay.com/thehalogencookbook/
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    I'm looking for some advice and hoping that somebody on this thread can help or point me in the right direction :D.

I've seen the JML Halogen Oven and I'm impressed with what I've seen on the advert - I also knew somebody who had one and swore by it.

I've also seen the Nu-Wave Pro Oven (convection, conduction and infra-red combination job) advertised and it also looks the 'bees-knees' - as it's supposed to go from frozen solid to perfectly cooked in minutes.

Looks as though they're about the same price - but I would pay a little extra for the one that is the most versatile for a couple (not necessarily a family).

Has anybody got any experience of either, or both, of these and able to make a fair comparison?

Many thanks in advance :D.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Anyone had any luck cooking pizzas in the JML halogen oven?

I find that they cook on the top but the bottom is a bit soggy :(
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kittykat500
    Options
    Olliebeak wrote: »
    Has anybody got any experience of either, or both, of these and able to make a fair comparison?

Many thanks in advance :D.

I owned a Nu-Wave about 3 yrs ago - it wasn't the Pro one though. Unfortunately the element blew soon after purchase. It was excellent until that happened! Owning a JML now, I prefer its smaller lid - I've racked up a couple of butcher's hooks to hang it by the handle when it's removed from the bottom unit - the dome is very bulky on the Nu-Wave). If I think back I think the quality of the food in the JML is comparable to the Nu-wave.
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    Is the Nu-Wav the one with the "plastic" dome that is attached to the heating element and that you lift off a base? If so, then I gather that some users have found that the plastic suffers because of the infra-red. Think I read this on an Amazon review.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure