PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Purple kitten, glad to see you back - at least you can tell happy pleasures when they come around:)

Skint yet Again, sorry to hear about your woes - hooray for union reps:)

Friday’s pleasures

1. Looking at the empty shelf & empty drawers that have appeared due to decluttering :rotfl:

2. Meeting the new lady at the cs & arranging a collection time for the 5’ tall glass fronted cupboard :j

3. Having made a small delivery to the cs, have empty cs bags for the first time in 9 months :)

4. Got home to find DH had put up the new light, new smoke alarm, new light switch & plug cover on the upstairs landing :T

5. Hm lasagne & hm peperonata (from the freezer) for dinner :drool:

6. Reading your pleasures :) :T

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 March 2018 at 11:04PM
    Options
    All posts have failed today, so one more try before resuming &lit.

Delighted to be blamed for your smitten Jacquot state, Lainey:-)

bop - town of horse emporium is highlighting this one:
    https://www.carltonbooks.co.uk/raf-100-the-official-story-hb.html

Some recent pleasures -

1. DG - feel corner slightly turned since whatever walloped & did so. Fevers, shakes, delirium, muck sweats, all sense of time/place gone.... Came to at some morning point, silly clox, knew 1st change since Monday night. Just so glad, but taking no chances with carp weather return promised.

2. A gorgeous ratatouille from many use-uppery peppers, leeks, onion, 'matoes, olive oil, odds'n'sods. All overnight in s/c. Divine and sensible.

3. Bill Nighy - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09v8hkm

4. Prob. foolishly/too soon, dressed, drove to auction house[business] Nearly keeled over, but seated under orders, watched Cheltenham Gold Cup fantastically run/won by Richard Johnson on Native River, lead start>finish. Auctioneer W.A.'s first ambition was 'jockey'. He retains the requisites: small, neat, fit, well-made, vitality[suspect Lainey knows who].

NZ childhood memories of Trentham Races surged again.
    http://www.trentham.co.nz/history.aspx

a3o5d1oc.jpgRoyal tour 1953-54 by Crown Studios Wellington

& was excitedly waving:-) [posts passim]

Thought of you too, mcc.

5. Have just booked Royal Wedding flights/car hire. M and I shall play@Guests of Honour down in France, as we did for K and W. We had great fun.
    M's gt-gt Aunt attended last time. She's 97 now, but still expected.

Yes, & IS rabid leftie:-)
    #
    Blessings and comfort as needed.
    Bonne nuit.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Should not read & run - you are all worth so much more, but RL going crazy. Though I am now Certified!

OS Pleasures recently
    Reading your pleasures - and being reminded there is a green & growing world out there to enjoy.

I like the idea of a hat to propose in. (Jack Dee, Would I lie to you) Sons, alas, unimpressed.

Much smitten with Mothers day Google doodle - very fridge door style, without actually triggering nostalgic tears for the eggbox daffs but on a very similar frequency.

Husband got an interesting book on gentleman's tailoring (w chapter on fitting for the corpulent figure!) then found Amazon selling it for vast sums & is now chortling happily. Better, he has found it online also, thus sparing another chap from the perils of pattern making from a photo of a page.

"The cow juice is hither-naggers" - would appear to translate to "here is a jug of milk which I am just dropping"...

There is a remarkably cheerful approach to the discovery of a WW2 bomb on a Manchester building site. Businesses are being shut, people & vehicles rerouted, the word incident is being used rather than bomb but the Army is coming & all should be fine by tomorrow. (Anticlimax - not a bomb after all. Fun while the wondering lasted & cheers to the Army for settling the matter so promptly.)

Yeay photobox do passport photo prints. Now to pin my son up against the wall & photograph him til he looks like a tired bored sulky traveller. [I estimate about 15 seconds. {I was generous}]

Setting up son's birthday PC. I still get a kick out of getting wifi working. (I'm a digital toddler some days.)

First Aid training - some spectacular construction injuries & two trainees who last met on a maternity ward 13 years ago! Best quote so far "after lunch we'll have head injuries..." Vegetarianism has never seemed so appealing.

Got to Lidl in time to get kini tape - now to watch the DVD to learn how to use it! Wikipedia suggests it's near pure placebo so I shall examine the art as much as the function... Son dropped an unused roll on me! May use it to ID scouts...

Ah the warm relaxed buzz of endorphins. I refuse to become a "gym bunny", (at 5'2" I suspect fail the height requirement) but it is nice to stumble out into the cold night & just grin. (Not a huge fan of rain, mind.) I even play with carpark lines as flat cavaletti...

Must remember to reclaim receipt for asda chit as need it for Travel & Subsistence, win-win-win!

Right, health & strength to all, love luck courage endurance hwbs & robust weatherproofing as needed! Apparently it is forecast to snow Again. *Just* as I am to coax the car to its MOT. I wish to Have Words with the forecasters, or Raffles, purveyor of the Yellow Stuff to this parish.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,172 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope you are on the mend now, Ampersand - sounds nasty.

Pleasures for today (Friday).

1) An extra lie in bed once smaller son had gone to school.

2) Hens well.

3) Bigger son cut up some more logs ready for the possibly cold weekend.

4) Bought more hen food.

5) Meant to drive from grain merchants straight into town. I happened to point out to bigger son a large stately home that has been in disrepair for decades - certainly all my life - despite the poor tenants living there in numerous leaking flats.

Bigger son suggested we park and have a look so we did. We wandered round the grounds although so dangerous with the patio collapsed and the roof fallen in on one wing. Then we saw the estate agents were there and they asked if I had an appointment to view it (!) I said no but they showed me round anyway! Half a million to buy but several million to renovate. 20 bedrooms, stables, fountains, 2 towers, a 4 bed cottage and 8 acres.

The nice lady and I looked round what we could. Cellars out of action because the Severn is in them, ground floor not too bad, next floor just about possible to explore and the third floor draughty with the roof off in places and some parts inaccessible. The other wing was not suitable for looking round. Astonishingly, the roof fell in there in December (over the boiler house) and up to that point there were still people living in some of the ground floor flats. :-/

6) On to carpet town to collect smaller son who had walked to the football ground with his friends to get his tickets for the match against Alfreton tomorrow. He is all set and excited to go on the bus now. Hoping the snow holds off!

7) Watched Gogglebox and the Last Leg.

8) About to listen to the Now Show.
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 March 2018 at 1:28AM
    Options
    Friday, how did that happen?!fab re reusable mug vjsmum library cafe won;t accept mine but at least I save the plastic lid
    1) just back from book club. Have had Uber busy week so haven;t listened to archers. They said Shula has left alistaire. Obvs now listening to see if they;re winding me up
    2) mrpiano asked me last night if I wanted to go see Scottish symphony doing Brahms 2nd piano. Mr piano wanted to sit at side with good view of pianist. Can;t believe he;ll be playing very same piano in 2 weeks. He tells me he is a trifle nervous (not his exact words lol)
    3) started this morning with coffee at Tay park house with PhD student then we walked to work. Mse os thanks to wooly hat
    4) book club Uber fun. Can;t remember book but ensuing chatter was fab
    5) and now in bed with my boys. New sofas arrived today :-) front room almost looking grown up!
    Ps archers over. She didn;t
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning Saturday. Had the laziest day yesterday ( well from midday onwards) so hoping to be slightly more productive today.

Dog walks with the 'ladies' yesterday. Haggis is truly in love! Same again this morning.

Had slimming club, another pound off so 12 in total. ( 38 to go! ...my challenge is 50 for 50) I had not stuck exactly to plan...but still had a loss so shall take that!
    I like that I know so many people that go and it's all rather sociable!

Walked there and back via T ( bought some Easter eggs for local children's charity ) and home via rather muddy field.

Had a chat with DD1 and then my mojo up and left and went and had a lie down and watched Netflix .

We have a date for DD2 tonsillectomy. Next month. Hurrah!

I got my plans ( all this talk of windows & doors!) ...I'm taking a door away from kitchen ...I'm envisaging units...architect popped in a window...nah! ...in extension ...I'm envisaging a full brick wall...architect popped in a door...nah! These would literally be to look at next door neighbours wall/ fence and lead to nowhere and an unnecessary expense for a window/ door I don't want! This is my vision and what I want! Plans are being amended!

Have a good weekend .
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 March 2018 at 8:38AM
    Options
    PK your no 5 sounds great
    Skint hope meeting goes well.

1. Went food shopping. It was really busy due to snow forecast i think but no good in the house so I had to go. Chat with a gentleman who helped me unload the trolley. He was shopping as his wife was ill.

2. The house is looking tidy and two loads of washing dried outside.

3. More daffodils picked and in a vase.

4. Walked to the station and then walked at my destination and more than achieved my step target.

5. Had an evening out with DH.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hey to PK and SYA, urgh &, poor you, hope recovery continues,

Friday pleasures,

Some sun and reasonably warm, washing dried outside and windows open to air the house.

Biked down to village garden centre for bird peanuts, found a cracking Easter card with spaniel carrying basket of chicks and other treats.

Also watched Cheltenham, Capt S had his pennies on the gold cup winner. Was good to see family of my first ever crush, Mr N Skelton, being successful including a cracking win by DIL to be, finally the lady jockeys are being given decent horses and obvs winning, about time.

Baked potato with cheesy beans for supper, simple but yum.

Mastermind and Gardeners World, then fell asleep so missed others.
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    5 BoP is in mega sulk. If mother BoP was alive there would be no tea today. None at all. She never forgave my dad that she was rushed out of Sincil Ban in 1957. Three cups have been turned into plant pot bottoms!

4 Had Saturday breakfast and as BoP is not a greedy, the SpagYETTI hoops from Thursday were also used. Snorker and best back, fried bread a poached egg.

3 Watched another film last night. 50 first dates. Good.

PM2DD Sulking. Big time. Cary on at the rate we are and ...

Here are the gates, the men are the walls.

& Lots on #RAF100. Most reflect BoB, and current serving airmen. There are a few, few, missing!
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    correction (having this morning listened to rest of week) she did.
    bop indeed!
    1) dd2 has gone off for camp training. mercifully it's indoors! she has taken her moomin hot water bottle (she normally uses a wheatgerm bag but there's no microwave)
    2) nice long bath and episode 5 of shetland
    3) walked dogs up to mums. it started snowing as i left the house
    4) chilli and toast yum yum, good chat then i walked the boys back. it started snowing as i left her house!
    5) off to tesco for pretzels. i'm on tomorrow's sunday school. 5th sunday of lent is not the easiest of topics.
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure