GLUCOSAMINE.  Save £60 a Year

Options

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    Much misinformation is posted on forums about the efficacy or otherwise of minerals, vitamins, herbs, and complementary or alternative therapies for particular conditions.
    It is simply to ensure that the information available to people reading this forum is based on recent understandings that I post the information I do.

If you can find any misinformation attributable to me then it is your duty to identify it and correct it, otherwise others may suffer as a consequence. It is because I support the moneysaving ethos of the site that I don't want people taking stuff that doesn't work. Which is why I provide links to sites such as Bandolier etc which provide reasoned arguements for or against particular treatments. I also provide regularly links to drug interaction checkers to enable people to see if there are any possible interactions noted.

Once again I don't think you will find any of my posts which imply that people shouldn't go and see their doctors whenever they have a problem. However this statement Medical professionals who raise doubts about safety are acting in patients best interests, not their own, appears to me somewhat absurd. The history of medicine is one which shows medical professionals lagging behind scientific knowledge and taking simply ages to come to terms with published research. How long did it take them to learn to wash their hands? and How many years were they poo pooing the idea that dirty hands cause illness? Human nature is human nature and doctors are human and will sometimes take a while to appreciate what is in their patients best interest.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Arcmedic wrote:
    Ted has skipped around the subject whether he is medically trained or not or whether he has any statistical experience in peer reviewing papers.
    This is because it should be clear to readers that I am simply a member of the public and make absolutely no pretence to be offering MEDICAL ADVICE, as it is specifically prohibited on this site for the very good reason that the site has no way of checking the credentials of ANYONE who CLAIMS to be medically trained and qualified.

However, that does not stop a reasonably intelligent person reading and grasping the essential points from a research abstract or online paper. For the purposes of providing GENERAL INFORMATION rather than specific medical advice, ensuring that there is scientific backing for the use of a particular supplement by checking reputable sources of information and providing links to those sources, so the reasoning can be checked, seems to me a reasonable way forward to ensure the overhyped advertising statements of the vitamin/supplement industry is countered with a little common sense.
    Arcmedic wrote:
    What a completely idiotic statement.
    Yes it is totally idiotic to think you can bluff and bluster your way out of having made yourself appear a pompous fool. I repeat, I expect the same standards of evidence as you expect from me. You stated that my statement iainbs's wifes DVT was not due to glucosamine is dangerous, I believe you should back this statement up by providing evidence that glucosamine has ever caused DVT if you believe this to be the case. If not then it is reasonable for you to offer the clarification otherwise there is the danger that people currently benefitting from glucosamine will stop their treatment because of your unsubstaniated, dangerous and irresponsible mudslinging.

Once again if you want to go down the route of me showing you how many deaths can be attributed directly to the pharmaceutical industry I'm quite prepared to throw as much mud as you because I know my facts and enjoy a good spat.
  • Arcmedic
    Arcmedic Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    This is because it should be clear to readers that I am simply a member of the public and make absolutely no pretence to be offering MEDICAL ADVICE, as it is specifically prohibited on this site for the very good reason that the site has no way of checking the credentials of ANYONE who CLAIMS to be medically trained and qualified.

The site may not but the GMC website has a clear search box where you can check someones GMC number to see whether they are real or a quack and you appear to be quacking so much I think your a duck. As for offering medical advice I refer you back to IainB's wife, you state her DVT is not due to glucosamine, again you are commenting on a medical diagnosis (for which you are not qualified to do) and stating without a hint of medical registration that it was not caused by supplement X.
    However, that does not stop a reasonably intelligent person reading and grasping the essential points from a research abstract or online paper.

Yes it does or why else would online journals CHARGE for full access to the paper? don't you think the rest of the article is worth a read or has important information that has to be appreciated. Its interesting to note that you skirt around the issue of whether you have any statistical analysis experience, this leads me to think you do not. If this is the case then your selection of papers as proof cannot be trusted as we have no idea if you have appraised them properly and by this fact if the data contained within is valid or accurate. Thereby using said papers to justify why people should take supplement x or y is both unfounded and inaccurate.
    Yes it is totally idiotic to think you can bluff and bluster your way out of having made yourself appear a pompous fool.
    The only pompous fool here is you, who appears to think that without a hint of accreditation you can take on the role of a professional and review papers based on an abstract alone? that is akin to me attempting to fly a plane having only seen the cover of a flying manual - idiotic.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Those considering that medical journals are infallible should read This BMJ article.Quack Quack

and here is another from the same source that draws interesting conclusions. Pharmaceutical industry sponsorship and research outcome and quality: systematic review of course common sense is needed which is a quality clearly that is lacking in some in the medical profession.
    ;)
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    HEY GUYS !! Lighten up - This is supposed to be a discussion about money saving on Health Supplements !!
    Can we call a truce please and get back to the main theme of this thread. Thankyou.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • theloft
    Options
    To reiterate my previous post, herewith details of a current offer by Healthspan (who may not be the cheapest but are the best in my opinion.) This was in Telegraph magazine at week-end and is £2 off if you spend £15 ! (Free P & P). This offer is restricted to one order so if you were planning to buy £30 worth, get a friend or relative to order some. The code to quote when ordering on 0800 73 12377 or on the web is: STEL-JY9.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • makintracks
    Options
    theloft wrote:
    To reiterate my previous post, herewith details of a current offer by Healthspan (who may not be the cheapest but are the best in my opinion.) This was in Telegraph magazine at week-end and is £2 off if you spend £15 ! (Free P & P). This offer is restricted to one order so if you were planning to buy £30 worth, get a friend or relative to order some. The code to quote when ordering on 0800 73 12377 or on the web is: STEL-JY9.

Thanks so much for posting this Healtspan voucher code. I always search the net for voucher codes before placing my orders and this has just saved me 10% on my order.
  • cariad123
    cariad123 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    My husband has Stage 2 diabetes. Can he take Glucosamine, as the name suggests that it would perhaps contain ingredients which would raise his blood sugar levels. Any info. please?
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    cariad123 wrote:
    My husband has Stage 2 diabetes. Can he take Glucosamine, as the name suggests that it would perhaps contain ingredients which would raise his blood sugar levels. Any info. please?
    Effects of oral glucoamine sulphate on serum glucose and insulin during an oral glucose tolerance test of subjects with osteoarthritis.The results suggest that glucosamine ingestion may affect glucose levels and consequent glucose uptake in individuals who have untreated diabetes or glucose intolerance. Very very small trial so you would be best advised to consult with his health professionals.
    Another very small trial with reassuring results but again not MEDICAL ADVISE just information

Effect of Glucosamine on Glucose Control
  • theloft
    Options
    cariad123 wrote:
    If your husband has Stage 2 diabetes, then he is obviously under medical supervision! It amazes me that someone would ask a serious medical question on what is after all a Money Saving Site. Common sense dictates that your husband or you put that question to his doctor and not rely on advice from people who may or may not know what advice they are giving, however well intentioned.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport