Aedis Building Inspectors unreachable

Options

Comments

• Thebuck666
    Options
    Hi everyone, i am in the same situation, was recommended Aedis from an ex council planning body, reached the end of our renovations and made an appointment with their surveyor who did not turn up, now i am receiving letters from our local authority stating we need to get them out to sign our property off. Not sure where i stand or best route forward.
    Also received an email from the above asking for £150 for documents, is there any point?
    Any help is greatfully appreciated guys, thanks!!!
  • freeganneist
    Options
    First of all, my sincere sympathies those of you stuck in limbo. Renovations are stressful enough without added worry and cost.

I've also just received the email from Begbies Traynor that others referred to. It says that the LABC were unhappy with the initial notes and that if I want more data I need to pay £150 for it.

I came to this thread to see if the email was a scam, but it seems not - at least not in the normal sense. So thanks to all the previous posters for your stories, and good luck with getting your projects signed off.

My LA have been very helpful from the start and have already issued a completion certificate based on photos and a letter from my builder. What they were able to view themselves looked like good work. So I was just about to pay the final tranche of money to my builder when I received this email.

I'm very curious about what the notes might say; we've had quite a snagging list and some expensive rework done based on what I, an amateur, could spot. I have a niggling worry that the work may not have been done correctly despite now having a completion certificate. My builder was very chummy with his Aedis contact.

But ignorance is bliss, I guess. Why jeopardise the completion certificate I've already got.
  • tikkitavi
    Options
    So here is the latest missive from the liquidators!!!
    Don't be fooled by it. My own project was signed off by a local authority inspector last week without paperwork. You don't need it so don't pay for it!!! I now have a valid Regularisation Certificate which is completely legal and above board. Yes, it cost me money but was problem free and it is all sorted. If you pay this fee for paperwork there will be an inspector's fees to pay too. DO NOT DO IT!

Further to our previous correspondence in this matter, we write to provide you with an update.

As you are aware the joint liquidators, together with the Company’s software provider and relevant other parties, including the Company’s regulator CICAIR, have obtained from the Company’s records a full report of the data held on your project. This was subsequently sent to the Local Authorities Building Control for England & Wales (“LABC”) to disseminate to the correct Local Authority.
    Unfortunately, we have now been advised by the LABC that the data provided is not sufficient to enable them to move your project forward.
    We have therefore been liaising with the LABC, as the statutory delegator, and the Ministry of Housing (“MoH”) to provide a solution and request the LABC and the MoH to assist you in obtaining the information the LABC considers sufficient.
    We would advise that the joint liquidators are not in a position to provide all documents from the Company’s records, nor are they under any obligation to do so.
    We have advised the LABC and the MoH that we will facilitate them being able to access the Company’s records in order to extract the data. The LABC have stated that they will do everything they can to assist, they do not have the resource or the significant funds it will cost to assist with this.
    We would reiterate that the joint liquidators are under no obligation to fully extract all your project documents from the Company’s records however we fully appreciate the position you are currently in. We also understand that you are having to pay a further fee to the Local Authority.
    Therefore, the joint liquidators have found an alternative solution and have worked towards being able to extract all documents on your project held in the Company’s records. However in order to facilitate this, it will be necessary to outsource this work to a third party, who will administer the extraction and transfer of files to you, with the assistance of the joint liquidators.
    Unfortunately there will be an administration fee of £150 to transfer any files to you.
    In order for your files to be transferred, please contact the following email and a representative of Breal Business Certainty Limited will assist you further.
    Email: aedis@brealbusinesscertainty.com
    Upon payment of the £150 administration fee, the documents held by the Company will be transferred to you.

IMPORTANT

We are advised by the former personnel of the Company that all documentation relating to your project has been uploaded to the Company’s software and therefore any documents held will be extracted and sent.
    However the joint liquidators are unable to give any guarantees as to the content and we can only advise that we will provide everything on the system.
    Please note, that whilst we have requested the LABC confirm that the documentation to be transferred will be sufficient, they have not provided us with this confirmation and this will be a matter between you and the LABC.

Use of personal information

Please note that in the course of discharging our statutory duties as liquidators, we may need to access and use personal data, being information from which a living person can be identified. Where this is necessary, we are required to comply with data protection legislation.
    Contact

We would kindly ask that you await any further email updates and only contact us should the information provided not apply.

So here is the latest missive!!!
    Don't be fooled by it. My own project was signed off by a local authority inspector last week without paperwork. You don't need it so don't pay for it!!!
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It does sound like a revenue raising scheme by the liquidators to meet their fees.

I got mine free early on so its all there already.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • Chippalarta
    Options
    This is just an update on paying £150 to get your Aedis notes. I paid up and recieved some but not all my notes. There was nothing on the foundations or rather my foundations. I had the information about another project.

So you will be provided with what they have on their server whether its what you require it would seem its a lottery.

All the best
  • sihoran
    Options
    I realised a couple of weeks ago that luckily I paid my Aedis invoices on credit card. I have started to pursue a section 75 claim but the credit card company have come back asking for the following information:
    • Copy of agreement/contract including any applicable terms and conditions
    • Copy of invoice
    • Confirmation whether you have contacted the supplier
    • Any correspondence between yourself and supplier
    • Copy of liquidation notice

Looking back through my records I don't actually have a contract, and the terms and conditions link on the bottom of the electronic invoice doesn't go anywhere as the Aedis website has been taken down.

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of their standard contract and/or terms and conditions which they are willing to share.

I'm desperatley trying to claw back some of the original money as the local authortiy fees are over docuble what Aedis were charging.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, has anyone else successfully claimed under section 75, I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has been successful and how easy/hard it was.
  • Stig101
    Options
    WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Hello all. Just came across this thread. I am in the same situation but I hope this may be of use to a few of you with my total understanding on how we have all been let down so badly.

Keeping it brief below as we all got in to it in a similar way:

I am one of the many unfortunates caught up in this fiasco. I would like to state that over the months I have tried most thing to get some redress from Aedis but to no avail. I could not get hold of anyone or get any case notes after phone calls and emails we ignored.

I looked into the way I paid the Aedis invoice and found that it was via a DEBIT CARD to which I thought bye bye to my money. I then came across an piece of information via hours of online searching, called CHARGE BACK.

This is a voluntary scheme some but not all banks sign up to, to reimburse you if a company goes in to liquidation etc. I phoned and to speak to a someone who deals with this at my bank and it took a while to find the correct department but when I did the person said they knew of it but had not done it before.

After speaking to a supervisor or something I was told yes we do that scheme. I then had a ten min call asking some questions and they checked Aedis was in VL, I was advised I should hear something in a few days. I checked my bank account a couple of days later and the FULL FEE PAID TO AEDIS was back in my account but with a title “temporarily refunded” but some 2 months on its still there!! which at least is some recompense for the days of stress and not giving up completely.

I personally would not pay the administration fee of £150 to transfer any files to you as I wrote to LABC head office and had an email back saying ”All records received from the liquidators were collated and forwarded to the relevant local authority who now have responsibility for assessing compliance. In your case I believe this would be Hertfordshire Building Control”
    Kind Regards,
    Cathal Brennan
    LABC Head of Operations

so I can only assume this is a revenue generating scheme as all the case notes were passed on as noted above. Regulator CICAIR was no help AT ALL during the whole time!

I am with Hertfordshire BC now and I have had no problems with inspections relating to work, but I did take several pictures and had structural calcs done when job started, so anything you have to hand will help get job signed off.

sihoran

I have copies of Aedis terms and conditions I downloaded from the website before it was shut down if needed.

If anyone is stuck with anything please ask and I will try to help if I can.

GOOD LUCK ALL
  • Mackam
    Options
    I also received the email saying the Local Authority are not happy with my notes and I need to pay the liquidators £150 to get the notes.

Well this is total lies, the council has been out and signed off my property and I have the certificate its all done.

THIS IS A SCAM, do not throw more money down the drain.

My council were very reasonable, I managed to get some notes from AEDIS early on, I had a lot of pics of the build and shared them with the council building my own info pack.

The notes I got were terrible to be honest, single page with couple paragraphs saying everything looked ok.

I would suggest if your council is being difficult, just forge the docs yourself. I know its not legal but screw it the whole thing has been a joke and nobody will be able to verify if the notes are legit or not as long as you make them look right. I even got sent a Word version at first so anyone needing a copy of their template............. :)
  • Leigh3
    Options
    Hi I’m in the same boat as everyone else here, I’m so Afraid of signing over the work to the council and they have to uncover work, as our build is almost complete! Has anyone had this happen to them yet? Can I ask Mackam who is your council and did you have your own photos of your build or were these from what Aedis had?
  • matt_richards
    Options
    Assumed this was all going to go away when I received the email from liquidators saying your notes will be passed to local authorities...

Then recieved this today:

Please find attached your invoice from Stroma Building Control Limited.

Should you wish to make a payment over the phone, please call the office on 0845 621 1111.

If you are making a payment by BACS, please can you quote your invoice number.

If you require any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

For queries that aren't of a finance nature, please contact your surveyor directly.

Thank you

Stroma Building Control Finance Team
    T: 0845 621 1111
    E: bcaccounts@stroma.com

I have no idea who this company are, but they want £660 off me!!!!!!! :mad:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business