Options

Comments

• shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 April 2009 at 4:56PM
    Options
    Flat_Eric wrote: »

I am using a hoop for my stitching - one of those small (cheap) wooden embroidery ones. I probably have all the different sizes - they are quite cheap after all eusa_clap.gif

but it always takes me ages to get the *tension* just right I.e. 9 times out of 10, the material seems to sit too loose in the hoop and I am forever taking it out of the hoop and trying again!

Thus I wondered if there was anything better out there?

I have one of these frames http://www.superstitcher.com/product.aspx?sid=159&cid=52&pid=4688
    I admit to not actually using mine yet but have got as far as testing it out with some material and its great!
    In the picture you see, the material is being held onto the rods of wood with plastic clips, the rods of wood can then be turned to tighten up the tension on the material.
    My advice.....and in hindsight I wish I had done this....is to get one not too big. You can do large projects on the smaller frames but obviously not small projects on the large frames, this is where I went wrong.
    My frame is too big for quite a few of my projects/kits so I have to use a plastic hoop which isn't as good tension keeping wise as the wooden frame.
    I'm thinking of either getting myself another frame but smaller....just got to tell hubby now :rotfl:

Edit to add ~ This looks a better site and lists lots of sizes.
    http://www.superstitcher.com/product.aspx?sid=159&cid=52&pid=4688
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    shelly wrote: »
    I have one of these frames http://www.superstitcher.com/product.aspx?sid=159&cid=52&pid=4688
    I admit to not actually using mine yet but have got as far as testing it out with some material and its great!
    In the picture you see, the material is being held onto the rods of wood with plastic clips, the rods of wood can then be turned to tighten up the tension on the material.
    My advice.....and in hindsight I wish I had done this....is to get one not too big. You can do large projects on the smaller frames but obviously not small projects on the large frames, this is where I went wrong.
    My frame is too big for quite a few of my projects/kits so I have to use a plastic hoop which isn't as good tension keeping wise as the wooden frame.
    I'm thinking of either getting myself another frame but smaller....just got to tell hubby now :rotfl:

Edit to add ~ This looks a better site and lists lots of sizes.
    http://www.superstitcher.com/product.aspx?sid=159&cid=52&pid=4688

Shelly :thanks for the recommendation - I got one of these and its really good! :T

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got round to putting a nearly finished project onto my frame last night :D
    I want to get it done but once I get on my pc the day flies by.
  • coldtoes
    coldtoes Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    hi there

its my first time posting in this thread but i was wondering if anyone could help. A few years ago i did a family member a cross stitch called god bless our family tree if i remember correctly it was by sunset. Now i ALWAYS keep the patterns when im finished and now for the life of me i cant find the pattern and i need it for a dear old friend whos about to turn 80. I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere i could find this pattern. I have searched all over and only found it in america and have been told 6 weeks for delivery, i actually need this pattern bought and finished for june.

Hope someone can help and many thanks in advance

Chontell
  • bookadict
    bookadict Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I've found some unmarked cross stitch charts in my sewing box - the majority are AOY and a few winnie the pooh tigger ones! Also a fair few AOY with my crossings off on...

If anyone would like me to email them a copy as a pdf file, PM me!

I'll post a list later as to what charts I do have!

Cx
    Sealed pot challenge 2009 - target £750. Dec - April £275

April NSD - 15/20
  • goingtodoit_2
    Options
    When I was ill I did alot of cross stitching.
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    bookadict - have pm'd you.

goingtodoit - I only started cross stitching when I came out of hospital and wasn't able to do a lot so I'm a real novice and a bit slow.........just finished doing a tea cup that I'm making into a coaster for MIL's birthday. I was quite pleased with it for a first attempt
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    When I was ill I did alot of cross stitching.

Hi goingtodoit welcome aboard, - its nice to hear what everyone is working on. Im also quite slow at stitching, but its so enjoyable! :D

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • maria_and_the_imps
    Options
    big thank you to rainmac for the charts you sent me xxx
    13 in 2013 challenge 9/13
  • rainmac
    rainmac Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    coldtoes wrote: »
    hi there

its my first time posting in this thread but i was wondering if anyone could help. A few years ago i did a family member a cross stitch called god bless our family tree if i remember correctly it was by sunset. Now i ALWAYS keep the patterns when im finished and now for the life of me i cant find the pattern and i need it for a dear old friend whos about to turn 80. I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere i could find this pattern. I have searched all over and only found it in america and have been told 6 weeks for delivery, i actually need this pattern bought and finished for june.

Hope someone can help and many thanks in advance

Chontell

So sorry, I've searched online and can't find it at all :confused:. You could try emailing an online store and asking them for some help to track it down. http://www.sewandso.co.uk/index.html are brilliant, I've always found their service great.
    :wave: If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain :wave:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport