Anyone Into Cross Stitching?

Options

Comments

• bookadict
    bookadict Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Angela - thank you very much. The size of the picture is 17inches by 11. This is my first big project and I'm loving it, plus i only started on NYD!

Don't worry I did the saem to start with, especially with the different sand colours for the hat!

I don't have any in special mounts. But I do have two that I've completed in nice blue mounts in pine frames. I'll put pictures on later.

A really good friend of mine managed to get meet the arist and got a small picture for me, tht reminds me I must get it framed.

Cx
    Sealed pot challenge 2009 - target £750. Dec - April £275

April NSD - 15/20
  • Princess_Fiona_2
    Options
    Hi all, Im brand new to all of this. Decided I wanted to take up an hobby and opted for cross stitching. I find it really clears my mind of the all the rubbish accummulated there from work!!!

Ive got the bug at the minute. Went to the Stitching/Hobbycraft show at the NEC in March. To be honest I was a bit disappointed. I thought there would have been a lot more cross stitching stalls there.

Im getting loads of bargains off car boots at the minute. Books, mags, hoops, kits etc. Ive bought a couple of bigger kits for the future but am sticking to smaller kits at the moment as I dont want to make a mess of the larger ones just yet.

Im on my third kit now. First one was Winnie the Pooh. Hubby laughed when he saw it. He thinks it is gonna be a 3 week wonder. But I was so proud of it. Just finished an anemone and am now about to start a small kit with beads on. Fingers crossed I wont mess it up too much.
  • maria_and_the_imps
    Options
    good luck fiona i find it really addictive and relaxing, just wish the silly housework would stop getting in the way!!! my 2 year old daughter has some plastic adia and neddle and always sis with me doing her sewing! i'm doing a big flower fairies design at the moment for my mums xmas present but have had to put it down for a while as it is all one stich of one colour then one stich of another, so at the moment im doing a poem, its really plain and basically just the poem in back stich but the poem is really lovely and it shouldnt take me to long! i hope lol, then im going to start advent calenders, 3 of them
    13 in 2013 challenge 9/13
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning! Can I join in? I'm just getting back into cross stitching after a gap of many years and I must say it's like meeting an old friend again! I gave up about 5 years ago ( divorce/house move/life!). We've got a new Hobby craft just opened near me so Ive bought a couple of kits and yes, that old addiction is BACK! I'm SO enjoying it and its lovely to look on here and see all your wonderful projects! Im doing "our little house" which is a bit one stitch here and there but very enjoyable. I did notice however, how expensive kits are, so I'll be using charts and threads seperately! I got a £4 voucher from Hobbycraft WYS £20 so i'll use that for my stocks!
    Happy stitching!

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    bookadict wrote: »
    Fabulous! Well done!

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jintyb wrote: »
    I did notice however, how expensive kits are, so I'll be using charts and threads seperately! I got a £4 voucher from Hobbycraft WYS £20 so i'll use that for my stocks!
    Happy stitching!

I recently got a few kits from e-bay. You do have to dig between the expensive kits to find the reasonably priced ones though but worth it if you have the time.

HTH
  • bookadict
    bookadict Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    jintyb wrote: »
    Fabulous! Well done!

Thank you Jintyb, I'm surprised at how quickly it's coming along. I probably only spend half an hour or so a day on it. It does help me unwind! :j

So that I don't become too bored, I've started on one of my UFO's and yes it's another AOY kit. The constant changing of colour is annoying but the end results are fab.

I will get round to picturing the finished/framed ones shortly!

Cx
    Sealed pot challenge 2009 - target £750. Dec - April £275

April NSD - 15/20
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As Im getting tired and thus frustrated with my stitching (sticking a winnie the pooh (free cross stitcher magazine kit) on green aida, I thought I would pop on here quickly as I would very interested to have your input....

I am using a hoop for my stitching - one of those small (cheap) wooden embroidery ones. I probably have all the different sizes - they are quite cheap after all eusa_clap.gif

but it always takes me ages to get the *tension* just right I.e. 9 times out of 10, the material seems to sit too loose in the hoop and I am forever taking it out of the hoop and trying again!

Thus I wondered if there was anything better out there?

Siesta Frames Limited seem to have a large selection on their website but I have no idea what one would be best. I want a frame that I can use for really small kits, i.e. the pooh bear design is about 5 inches square but the material is about 12 inches in length and about 8 in height thus too fidley to hold just as it is.

I also want something that I can use for my bigger kits - I am not sure about those square / rectangular frames? Ive never attempted anything that big.... but think perhaps for one of my big pooh kits or country companion kits, a rectangular frame would be best that I could then hopefully be attached to the floor stand I bought many moon ago and never used!

Planned projects, tatty ted birth sampler, tigger eating honey and going yuk!
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    do any of you own a tanto thread stand? would you recommend it as one of those must have stitching accessories?
  • Anglea
    Anglea Posts: 7,204 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jintyb - living right near Hobbycraft - before long you'll have every imaginable craft on the go, let alone all that stash LOL

Flat Eric - cover your wooden hoops with fabric or ribbon - that will get the tension tight and save any marks gettting transferred.

I sometimes use a small metal hoops and wind that round with material too at the top otherwise I've had friction marks appear.

Tanto stand - I prefer having threads in a box, depends on what you like. Also - would it need a cover to save getting dusty?.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure