Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• tbr1978
    tbr1978 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    The 0800 Stuttgart flight did leave from gate A10. According to flightstats the departure time was actually 0755.
    We were at security for the boarding card scan by 7.15 to 7.20, so 45 minutes before the scheduled flight departure time, but had already been offloaded and were told the gate was closed.
    Does this mean we have a valid claim?

Thanks!
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you presented yourself prior to the time indicated on your documentation, yes.

Especially if you have not been informed of any early boarding requirement.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • justjenn
    justjenn Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I had a 48 hour delay flying from Gatwick to Tampa with BA in November 2015. After 24 hours and one night in a Hotel was offered a flight to Orlando with Virgin.and then a bus to Tampa. I reluctantly accepted it as I didn't want to miss any more days of my holiday. I made a claim for compensation in January 2016. finally received a check to cover flight amount but nothing further. Does anybody know if I would be entitled to any other compensation? I don't want to appear greedy but I have read that some people have been paid a lot more than me and I wonder how come. Does anybody know the answer?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    justjenn wrote: »
    I had a 48 hour delay flying from Gatwick to Tampa with BA in November 2015. After 24 hours and one night in a Hotel was offered a flight to Orlando with Virgin.and then a bus to Tampa. I reluctantly accepted it as I didn't want to miss any more days of my holiday. I made a claim for compensation in January 2016. finally received a check to cover flight amount but nothing further. Does anybody know if I would be entitled to any other compensation? I don't want to appear greedy but I have read that some people have been paid a lot more than me and I wonder how come. Does anybody know the answer?

what do you mean by "received a check to cover flight amount"?
    did you need to pay for the Virgin ticket or the bus?
    Could it be that the EU compensation of €600 (c£470) was similar to your ticket price?
  • justjenn
    Options
    Thank you Caz3121 for replying so quickly.
    BA paid for the Virgin flight to Orlando and also the bus to Tampa.
    As I had paid £470 for my flight. I assumed that BA had refunded me for this because this was how much the check amount was. I didn't know if this is what is called compensation. There was nothing referring inside the letter except for the check. Hence the question.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How many of you were there?
  • justjenn
    Options
    only one. I am disabled pensioner
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did the letter mention anything about the EU261 regulation. It would appear on the face of it the amount of compensation you probably received worked out roughly as the same amount you paid for the original airfare. Either way you eventually got to your destination and have a cheque for £470. They would not have refunded your original fare and then paid for you to go to Orlando and also pay compensation on top. It would appear a good result for you.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    justjenn wrote: »
    Thank you Caz3121 for replying so quickly.
    BA paid for the Virgin flight to Orlando and also the bus to Tampa.
    As I had paid £470 for my flight. I assumed that BA had refunded me for this because this was how much the check amount was. I didn't know if this is what is called compensation. There was nothing referring inside the letter except for the check. Hence the question.

I think the confusion is because your ticket price was the same as the compensation amount due
    As BA paid for the Virgin flight you are not due any ticket refund as your ticket was used in full
    Sounds like you have received your full €600 compensation...nothing more to chase
  • justjenn
    Options
    Like I stated originally, there was no correspondence with the cheque, so, no to your question, no mention of EU 261 that is why I am unclear what it was for. I am sure not everybody pays the same amount for their ticket. To me it was just a coincidental amount. Due to reading a lot of experiences on the forums where people received a lot more due to missing out on a day or two of their holidays. I was just wondering if that was taken into consideration for myself. I had to do a lot of re-arranging when I finally got there and it took me about 3 days to catch up with everything too.
    Anyway, As you say it sounds like I got my compensation and there is nothing more to pursue.
    Thanks for your help
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure