PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

MRI The MacAnthony Real Estate Agency

Options

Comments

• lisaboopdeboop
    Options
    firstly, I do not have or ever had too much money. I had some money from a life policy when my husband suddenly died in 2006. I attended a presentation hosted by MRI in 2007 here in the UK. They made it sound like a good investment in Bulgaria. Buy off-plan then either draw an income from an ever increasing rental market or sell at a profit of appox £20k. At that time it was all the hype and 10's of thousands invested. Unfortunately, MRI were cowboy developers and many ended up loosing their investment.
    Secondly, yes at times in my life I do something stupid. I sent my proof of payments to a company in Durham and now I don't have the evidence. I switched credit cards 2 years ago but I hope that I can still obtain a copy. I am human, I do not need you to point out my innocent failings thank you.
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    Options
    firstly, I do not have or ever had too much money. I had some money from a life policy when my husband suddenly died in 2006. I attended a presentation hosted by MRI in 2007 here in the UK. They made it sound like a good investment in Bulgaria. Buy off-plan then either draw an income from an ever increasing rental market or sell at a profit of appox £20k. At that time it was all the hype and 10's of thousands invested. Unfortunately, MRI were cowboy developers and many ended up loosing their investment.
    Secondly, yes at times in my life I do something stupid. I sent my proof of payments to a company in Durham and now I don't have the evidence. I switched credit cards 2 years ago but I hope that I can still obtain a copy. I am human, I do not need you to point out my innocent failings thank you.

Bulgaria? What the hell where you thinking?
    I have some sympathy for you but i stand by what i have written..
    You went into a market you did not understand and did not do enough due diligence....Get rich schemes were all over the place just waiting for people like you....
    I screamed from the top of the world that inside track was a scam(look it up) but people thought i was mad at the time..
    Have a look here as it went on in the uk on a absolute massive scale..
    http://www.propertytribes.com/glenn-armstrong-financially-related-information-public-domain-t-5545.html
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • lisaboopdeboop
    Options
    Hi Big Markie. Yipee, my previous credit card sent me the statements that I needed to show payments to MRI. I'm hoping that its enough for them to take on my case! How is your case going?
  • Des_Rules
    Options
    After a lot of research, and by under going a thorough assessment of documents, we authorised Fastline Legal Services lawyer to act for us against the miss selling of our timeshare week in Tenerife. We purchased 9 years ago and placed a deposit on the day which is against selling laws is Spain. This entitles us to cancel our timeshare contract and demand a refund. This could take up to a year, by which we are happy to wait, and we have received a couple of updates from our appointed advisor so we are quite happy with that claim so far. However, we also own 2 weeks in Portugal where we also placed a deposit on the day and would like to get out of that contract as well. Fastline legal said its out of their jurisdiction but we would like to know if anyone can recommend a lawyer, who speaks English, out there, as we are having difficulty finding a good one.
  • smartcarol
    smartcarol Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    eddy.ed wrote: »
    We purchased our property off-plan in Portugal through a Spanish estate agency named MRI (MacAnthony Real Estate). We had a tremendous amount of problems. Almost 2 years late in completion and never got the rental returns as promised and started to run into debt. We are not the only ones to be a victim and the owner Darragh MacAnthony was summoned to court. After exhausting attempts in Portugal for compensation we switched to a Spanish lawyer reccommended by Fastline Legal Services Sl. We paid court expenses and finally Fastline Legal Services Sl got us compensation amount agreed. Our problem is that Fastline Legal Services Sl said we would get compensation within 8-10 month but it took almost 14months. As we were stuggling with morgage payments it meant that the extra time it took the bank have now repossed our property. Can we claim more from Fastline Legal Services for late compensation. Fastline Legal were always polite and they did keep us informed and said the that the court dates are out of their control. Has anyone else had to wait longer than said?

Good to read that you were successful in getting your money back from MRI, be it later than you were told :j. I am also using Fastline Legal Services Sl for my claim against MRI and, not surprisingly, experienced the same problems with them. To be honest am finding the wait a bit stressful and its only been 2 months. My advisor does keep me updated but its of comport to have contact with others that have had the same experience. I have read some posts on a timeshare blog site but I don't think they are helpful. Sounds as though they are written by the companies that are being taken to court. Can anyone else who's claiming against MRI let me know how they are getting on. I can't wait until get my money so can put this behind me. Carol Smart
  • smartcarol
    smartcarol Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    smartcarol wrote: »
    Good to read that you were successful in getting your money back from MRI, be it later than you were told :j. I am also using Fastline Legal Services Sl for my claim against MRI and, not surprisingly, experienced the same problems with them. To be honest am finding the wait a bit stressful and its only been 2 months. My advisor does keep me updated but its of comport to have contact with others that have had the same experience. I have read some posts on a timeshare blog site but I don't think they are helpful. Sounds as though they are written by the companies that are being taken to court. Can anyone else who's claiming against MRI let me know how they are getting on. I can't wait until get my money so can put this behind me. Carol Smart

When I said in my previous post that "I experienced the same problems with them" I mean MRI not Fastline Legal Services Sl. I signed up with Fastline Legal just 2 months ago and everything is as they explained so far.
  • clarkyclaire
    Options
    Our compensation took longer to get paid out to us than Eddy's case. It took just over 15 months. The problem was the Spanish red tape. We were notified that the case with our timeshare weeks had been successful after 11 months. We signed and returned all the documents that they sent to us with copies of our passports, birth, and marriage certificates. We had to prove that we were the claimants. These had to go through 3 stages of the legal system only to be told the copies were not acceptable so we resent them. We then had to sign some more paperwork before the Court released the cheque (that was in euros not pounds but we were just glad to get it). The cogs of law in Spain run very slow but Fastline said that our problems were unusual but we would advise anyone making a claim that they bear in mind that it could take longer. Over all though we are glad to get our money back and be free of the burden of the timeshare.
  • JamesO.
    Options
    We have just come back off holiday where we went to see Fastline Legal Services in person. We had a bad experience with MRIOverseas after stupidly being persuaded to put a deposit down on an off plan development in Bulgaria that never completed. We were contacted by this company who explained that if we had kept sufficient evidence of payments it could be decided, by a lawyer, that the money that we lost can be awarded back to us through a Court case. We sent off copies and after an investigation that took just over 4 weeks we were told that the lawyer found that we did have the grounds for a refund. The process and costs were clearly explained to us along with our options on the different ways to deal with the case. We got them to put all this in writing first so we could consider this as a family. We decided to authorise the lawyer so we paid the translation and registration fees with the assurance that if the case was not won we would be reimbursed, but to pay them 5% legal fees on a win. We waited 2 weeks then started to be concerned that the promised contract hadn't arrived so my wife called them. They apologised and blamed the Spanish post system and said they would resend it registered. We asked why they had not called us to find out why we had not returned it, they said that as people are busy at work and that they go on holiday that the usual time to call for a contact is 4 weeks. 4 days later it arrived in which we signed and sent back. We phoned them for an update on our case after 3 weeks where they said as we had a lot of paperwork they were waiting for the translator to complete. 5 weeks passed and we received a call from the legal dept to say this is now done and that they would inform us once the next stage had been completed. It seemed to be taking a long time for each stage so we went on the internet and came across this site and a timeshare blog site. We phoned them and they gave us their guarantee that Fastline Legal Services are bound by the contract and we would be reimbursed if the case was not won. As we were coming to Murcia, Spain, for a holiday we asked to come and see them. They said by all means but we must give a weeks notice to make an appointment with the lawyer so that we don't waste our time travelling down to be told she's in Court. We made the appointment where we met them and went to the lawyers office. The lawyer was almost 30 minutes late but she apologised saying that it often happens in Spain. We saw our case file, couldn't understand a lot of what it said as it was in Spanish but there was a lot of stamped official looking documents. They had to mostly translate but we felt much happier and relieved to know that they are actually there. The office looked just like any other office, cabinets, files, desks paperwork stacks, equipment a bit worn and dated but it looked like that was their system so we were not too concerned about the mess.These cases can take a year and we signed up in March but will continue to get updates and should have our money some time next year. We would reccommend that if you can travel it is helpful to see them but make sure you arrange it first. James & Doris
  • smartcarol
    Options
    Hi Big Markie. Yipee, my previous credit card sent me the statements that I needed to show payments to MRI. I'm hoping that its enough for them to take on my case! How is your case going?

Hi Lisa. How did you get on after you received proof of payments? Did the lawyer take the case on?
  • smartcarol
    Options
    bigmarkie wrote: »
    Hi Lisa,
    We got an email informing me of your post. We paid £833 for translation and processing costs with the legal expenses payable once we have recieved our compensation. Our file on our dealings with MRI is an inch thick. Like you we did some checks 1st and made sure we had everything, including the T&C's, in black and white. It took about 5 weeks for them to assertain that we had enough evidence to claim compensation and we have just received an up date by letter. So far we are happy with Fastline Legal Service. We also stayed in touch with other MRI victims but slowly people got fed up of the excuses, and because they were getting nowhere, they stopped writing. We hope that you also have the grounds to claim and get your compensation. Apparrently MacAnthony lives in Florida in a luxury villa, the Sunday Times Rich List names his wealth at 68 million. What goes around will come around and we will be waiting to watch. Good luck. I will update as the claim progesses.

Hi Big Markie. How is your case progressing? Do you have an update?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure