Cut Your Car Insurance In 4 Steps Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• AntonyElliott
    Options
    My tip for cheaper car insurance is to add a named driver.

I am 27, with one SP30 and one accident in the last 3 years and have been trying to find cheap car insurance for my 1.8 Rover 25 GTI. It has been a total nightmare even following the step programme.

However a friend recommend that I add a named driver who is female and has a better driving record than my own. So added my mother, i was honest and said she has her own car and drives that. However just by putting my mother as a named Driver I have saved a wapping 20% on my car insurance.

i am presuming that they use a curve that the named driver will use the car a certain amount of the time and they are less likely to have an accident etc.
  • Richard146
    Options
    A friend put me on to this https://www.insurewith.com. I reckon I am pretty cute at buying motor insurance and over the years have got my 6 year old C class mercedes premium down and down until lasy year I thought it was at rock bottom at £284.55 - but in less than 30 seconds this website pointed me toward Kwik Fit Insurance, which quoted £202.07

You just put in your current no claims discount and vehicle details along with your gender and age and they give you the names of 3 providers that are most likely to be cheapest.
  • fbrj
    fbrj Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This may have been covered elsewhere....so apologies if this is a duplication (or on the wrong thread). My car insurance is due about now...renewal quote around £215. Followed suggested procedures on this site....one of the cheapest was the Pru at £177 - went through Quidco for £100 cashback (which was tracked within 12 hours); net result: annual fully comp for husband and wife for £77!!!
  • moremula
    Options
    Pjbracer1 wrote:
    Hi guys

Insurance cost are different for everyone depending on age, postcode, usage, license condition, claims, car type etc.... so its very difficult to benchmark cheap insurers as what is cheap for someone else is expensive for another.

Cheers

Paul

Some extremely good points Paul. My mum recommended me to More Than when I passed my test. But she is 55 with full NCD whilst I am 24 with 0 NCD making me get a very expensive quote from More Than. Essentially as Paul said, what is good for my Mum is not necessarily good for me! I found Confused and Moneysupermarket useful to stop me 'randomly' shopping around (I usually shop the insurers with the best adverts!) but the best tool was www.insurewith.com. It gave me the name of Prudential, a company I would never have shopped, and I'm still with them.

Cheers Martin! (you've also saved me loads on utilities, go https://www.uswitch.com)
  • Lizbetty
    Lizbetty Posts: 979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if you go through a site such as Quidco, you can get extra cashback - I got £16 odd from Quidco, plus the Post Office's £50 postal order and it came out cheaper after the £50 postal order. All good! :T

Sorry if I'm repeating what anyone else's said already, rushing before baby wakes up so I can't check all other posts!

Hth, Lucy
  • fruitcake_2
    Options
    Thank-you for all the advice on here, have just been quoted £1429.46 through Endsleigh instead of £1840.99 for even better cover and less excess, renewal date is on the 1st of Sept....my OH is over the moon, went through all the search engines then went directly to the lowest quoted (Endsleigh's)own site and it was even cheaper...

Cheers..
  • bargain_babe
    Options
    Not sure if this is the correct place to put this query - feel free to move if not - but does anyone know how I can keep my 5 yr no claims bonus after selling one of our two cars? Do we just keep swapping insurance over ie his name one year, my name to next? Any help greatly appreciated, thanks x
    If you don't have something nice to say don't bother saying anything at all.
  • stridingedge
    Options
    My wife's renewal with Churchill was due. I got quotes from Tesco and Esure which were a bit less, but then Sheila's wheels (despite the irritating ad) was significantly lower, including the prot NCD, breakdown etc. I think that it is another Royal Bank of Scotland & Halifax backed. Some of the documentation mentions esure, so I guess that they are different forms of the same company. The website and service seem efficient too.
  • Used the site to look for savings on wifes car ins. Didn't think there would be any (she drives a Z4). Now about to sign up with Sainsbury's - saving £100.

I am also a CC tart and have been for over 5 years.Got 11500 making me interest debt now 8000 - I was worried about last move cause I do not pay BT fees and couldn't find a card. MSE found one for me and I am now nicely settled into a 9 month transfer.

Finding switching gas and electric more diffcult - its seems to me they make it deliberatley confusing. At moment my research, using MSE, tells me that British Gas (I know it sounds strange!) are better for electric because 80% of our consumption is at night, and Powergen (who supply us with both at moment) are best for gas but its not a clear and easy decision. What does anyone else think?
  • jeffnewcs
    Options
    Hi, Can anyone give me any advice for insurance for young drivers. I got a good deal for my wife with Sheilas Wheels in March. My son is just 17 and wnats to learn but Sheilas Wheels has informed me that they do not insure under 21. Has anyone got a good deal on a young learner?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure