Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dalglish wrote: »
    I had an EasyJet flight cancelled on our return from Crete and the airline flatly refused to refund an alternative flight citing ATC software issues and bad weather.
    I took my case to https://www.aviationadr.org.uk/ who said I had a good case and I’m pleased to say I won, despite EasyJet claiming I had not provided proof of purchase for an alternative rerouting with Tui that cost £630 for the 3 of us. Boarding passes, luggage tags and the actual Tui invoice put to bed this feeble EasyJet attempt to avoid refunding my costs.
    The key point that led to ADR judgment rule in my favour was I had all evidence including screen grabs of the EasyJet app showing the earliest flight home they could offer was FOUR days later. The CAA quoted on MSE says airlines should make a reasonable attempt to repatriate passengers.
    So today, 2 weeks after EJ should have abided by ADR as they are bound to, I’m told by this adjudicator, I’ve had to escalate a second time as EJ look like they’re not going to pay my costs anyway. Next step? Small Claims court?
    Any helpful suggestions welcomed thanks.

I would be very reluctant to go down any other route until AviationADR say they can go no further, and that is very unlikely to ever happen.

Did you claim costs and compensation via ADR at the same time? Did ADR award your costs?

The agreement between ADR and the airline is that if ADR find against the airline the airline WILL pay up.

Keep pushing AviationADR, it's up to them to get your compensation paid.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Dalglish
    Dalglish Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many thanks Tyzap.
    Relieved to confirm EJ refunded my reroute costs today but boy did they fight it.
    To be fair they did pay my overnight B&B for 3 of us via their website claim process but I shall pay more in future to fly with non EJ and that other one.
    Thanks again for your help.
  • OUNN
    OUNN Posts: 50 Forumite
    edited 23 October 2019 at 9:12AM
    Options
    Morning Gurus,

Looking for a little advice as to whether MiL has a leg to stand on or not.

This mornings flight Stansted to Malaga was cancelled sighting weather.

What happened was......
    - Last nights Stansted to Palma flight diverted into Toulouse due to bad weather in Palma.
    - Toulouse is an easyJet crew base.
    - The weather cleared up who knows when actually, but the METAR was clear of thunderstorms at 0400 this morning.
    - So an aircraft is out of position overnight, however rather than using crew and an aircraft from any of Stansted, Palma or Toulouse (all crew and aircraft bases) they are using the original crew from the diverted flights last night to finish their flights (after their required rest).
    - this means the aircraft was never going to get back to Stansted in time, so they have cancelled the flight to Malaga sighting bad weather.

Which is an extraordinary circumstance, so easyJet will deny compensation. But is it worth pursuing?

Thanks in advance

Edited to add other flights diverted that night, but operated an additional sector to get there. The crew on this flight were on a 4 sector day, so they will have run out of hours rather than the weather being the effect. They could still have potentially operated a 4th sector to Palma and left the aircraft there for a local crew to continue
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, you are due compensation as this is classed as a knock-on. if your flight has no bad weather and it is only canceled because they have no plane it is not an extraordinary circumstance. When are you now flying? €400 each passenger.
  • Siani554
    Options
    Hi

Have searched and am not sure which route to go down so any advice/help appreciated! Hope I haven’t posted in the wrong place......

Last weds (23rd) my 7:30am flight from Bristol to Paris was cancelled at 3am. We managed to rebook onto a flight at 4:30 pm which meant we arrived 9 hours late and lost a days holiday. This ordinarily wouldn’t have been as much of an issue except we were going to eurodisney so we lost a day in the park as well as the price of the tickets for that day and had 2 disappointed children as a result.

I submitted a claim for compensation on Saturday which was rejected within 24 hours citing bad weather in Spain as the reason (email text below). Reading around the subject seems to suggest that if the weather is fine where you’re flying from and to (which it was) they can’t use weather as a reason for denying compensation. However the speed that they’ve declined suggests to me that they know they will win alongside the fact that I’ve seen that there was bad weather in Spain (although I can’t find any news stories about flights being cancelled – there are stories about flight cancellations in Italy due to strikes around the same time)…Their email is quite generic, so I was wondering if I go back and ask for more specific information as to which airports where involved and how many flights were cancelled or should I just ask for a deadlock letter and escalate?

What makes me nervous is the story in Which.co.uk that says that less people now have success in claiming now that AviationADR are handling cases. which.co.uk/news/2019/10/easyjet-passengers-lose-out-in-compensation-merry-go-round I’d prefer not to lose compensation by using a law firm, however am wondering if it would just be easier to do that as they are the experts and any compensation is better than nothing….

EU261 Compensation Claim Assessment
    Claim received: 25-10-2019
    Flight Number: 6221
    Flight Date: 23-10-2019
    Scheduled Departure Airport: BRS
    Scheduled Arrival Airport: CDG
    Claim decision: Declined
    Decision summary: We’re sorry that your flight was cancelled. Our assessment and legal team has carefully reviewed your claim and the circumstances around your flight and have confirmed that your compensation claim is not eligible for compensation payment under EU Regulation EU261/2004. Please note that this may not match with the information you were given on the day of travel, as our staff in airports, and on-board, may not have had all the information concerning your cancelled flight.

Dear,
    We are sorry for the disruption to your flight. Our assessment and legal team have carefully reviewed your claim, including the circumstances around your flight and have confirmed that your compensation claim is not eligible for compensation payment under EU Regulation EC261/2004. Please note that this may not match with the information you were given on the day of travel, as our staff in airports, and on-board, may not have had all the information concerning your cancelled flight.

Our assessment of your claim
    To further explain why your flight was cancelled; on the 22nd October we experienced disruption to our flights due to adverse weather conditions across Spain, which caused our aircraft to be out of position to operate our flights on the 23rd October. Unfortunately, as a result we had no other option but to cancel your flight. We do take reasonable measures to avoid cancellations and delays to our flights by having replacement crews and spare aircraft available in our network. In the circumstances, these options were not possible as we had utilised our spare crew and aircraft for the disruption the previous day caused by adverse weather conditions.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Usual EJ BS. They will make life as difficult as possible for you (been there, got the T shirt).
    Weather affecting different flights the day before is usually NOT an EC.

Go through ADR first as its risk free. You can always go small claims or Botts/EUClaim later if you are unsuccessful with ADR.
    Have you tried putting your flight details into Botts and EUClaim online checker?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Siani554
    Options
    I put my details into Botts which said I could claim. Wasn’t sure if it was a generic ‘yes you can claim’ just because the flight was cancelled.

I’ve replied with the link to the case where they couldn’t claim bad weather and said if they won’t reconsider I want a deadlock letter........
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would also write to the CAA for all the good it will do, but the more people who contact them they might get off their backsides and do something about these airlines.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try EUClaim checker. Posible more realistic than Botts sometimes
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Siani554
    Options
    Really? Martin lewis’ article mentions Botts? I did use the calc in EUclaims but stopped short of submitting a claim as thought I might try myself first. Hard to know what best to do, like I said I might not be as bothered if it wasn’t for losing the time at eurodisney
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback