Saving for my first bricks and mortar...

Options

Comments

• Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gooooooooooooooooooooooood evening!

All is as well with my brother as can be at the moment :)

Savings took quite a battering this week. I'd got up to £6,000 but woke up one morning and decided to pay my credit card off, IN FULL :rotfl: it's actually in credit :rotfl: that's taken me down to about £5500 but I realised that I wasn't going to pay much more than the minimum amount each month and they were screwiing me for interest :mad:

I've started a bank switch which will happen in the next week or so. That'll be £125 back in the savings and I'm having a "spend as little as possible" month this month so I'll be able to claw some of my credit card balance back :) I'm walking to and from work most days now so I'm not spending money on petrol - I walked 200 miles in October :D

I've got a sealed tin which I put my £2 coins in which currently has about £140 in i. I think I'll probably get that in the bank after Christmas so that I can start from scratch after the new year.

Hope any/all who read this are well :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Great news about your savings and paying off the credit card and the bank switch :T

I'm glad to hear about your brother x
    Well done on all the walking !
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You used your savings to save more money by avoiding interest on your card. That is great and to be applauded.:D:j

I think we are both doing the same bank switch. Your walking thing is great - a great way to save money and get fit. :beer:

Your money box is going to be a nice treat when you open it. Stay strong and keep up the good work. All my love and best wishes for your brother.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Options
    Good evening! 

Been a while since I updated. Sadly we lost my brother a couple of weeks ago :( 

my savings have taken another battering. Right up to the end he refused to believe that it was going to get him so of course, he didn’t put any money aside for his funeral 🙄  my moving plans got put on hold the minute he was diagnosed anyway so another year won’t hurt. Some things are more important :heart:  
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your brother my heart 💓 goes out to you. As you say it puts things into perspective, some things are more important. Make sure you take time for things to settle I just felt off balance for a long time after my mum passed away. Be kind to yourself, savings will come when you are ready x
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    I am so sorry about your brother Dizzy. It is awful news as it was all so quick I think. It is devastating I am sending you big hugs and love. You are so strong but it is so hard. Remember we are all here if you need to chat. big big hug. swx
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Are you ok Dizzy? I hope so. swx
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Options
    Hi SW 

I’m doing ok, thank you 😊 

I’m NHS staff but don’t count myself as “essential” staff but work still keeps me pretty busy. That, the allotment and garden have kept me out of trouble 😆

no savings this month though. My grocery bill has gone through the roof compared to how it was before lockdown, mostly because I can’t go to multiple shops 🙄

hope you’re ok x 

• savingwannabe
    Options
    Hello Dizzy we missed you. You will be v busy. I'm v busy teaching online from home and it is manic but I am v safe here and everyone is shopping for me. Yikes to food bill going up. Hope it is safe for you. We think you lot are amazing!!!!!! I hope it is over soon but the vaccine wont be out for sometime.
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Hope you are ok Dizzy and having a bit of a rest. hugs, swx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing