Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,687 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    PLRFD wrote: »
    What does Andrew say about that ? :D
    He says "damn that predictive text". ;)
  • abandonded
    abandonded Posts: 305 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    About 8 weeks ago, just as she left the checkout in our local Aldi, my wife decided to check her receipt and found that the girl on the till had charged for 9 peppers instead of 1. The girl apologised and gave an immediate refund. The very next week the guy on the checkout overcharged us by £2.98 followed by an apology and again a refund. Two weeks passsed and the same thing happened again with just under £4 being refunded. Today, my wife forgot to check there and then at the checkout but when she got home found that she had been charged for 5 peppers instead of 1. I should point out that the errors were made by 4 different checkout operators probably as a result of the speed that they work at.

Anyone else had this problem?
    Abandoned
  • Pollycat
    Options
    abandonded wrote: »
    About 8 weeks ago, just as she left the checkout in our local Aldi, my wife decided to check her receipt and found that the girl on the till had charged for 9 peppers instead of 1. The girl apologised and gave an immediate refund. The very next week the guy on the checkout overcharged us by £2.98 followed by an apology and again a refund. Two weeks passsed and the same thing happened again with just under £4 being refunded. Today, my wife forgot to check there and then at the checkout but when she got home found that she had been charged for 5 peppers instead of 1. I should point out that the errors were made by 4 different checkout operators probably as a result of the speed that they work at.

No, I haven't.
    But the moral of the story is... check your receipt before you leave the shop. Regardless of which shop it is. I
  • tulip12
    tulip12 Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    abandonded wrote: »

Yes this has happened to me a few times in Aldi. I shop every week there. I have always had the money refunded but I do always check my receipt now before I leave the store and I automatically do this where ever I shop. Easier to get the problem sorted out.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had the same thing happen at Aldi, as well as, occasionally, apparently random items (a step ladder, for example) appearing.

It's clearly to do with the speed of processing, but oddly it never ever works the other way, with items missed off.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Overall, I find L & A better for this than the big supermarkets. I used to shop at a very large, very busy inner London Tesco, and I would have issues with my bill every other week. Annoyingly, some staff took it upon themselves to negotiate over the "double the difference" policy - although it wasn't clear whether this was an attempt to save the store money, or laziness that they didn't want to walk the length of the store to check the price label.

By comparison, I find L & A more reliable. I still check my receipts, and I guess I find small errors on maybe 1 in 6 visits. I've had one occurrence (at Aldi) of something completely different scanning on to my receipt in about 8 years of shopping there.

Fruit (particularly apples) at Lidl seem to be a recurring problem (two incidents within the past 3 months). Last time they gave me more back than the basic difference in price, though this might have been a mistake.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I prefer the TR because it is doesn't shed (crucial after using Andrew / Double Velvet for the best part of 20 years), is light and strong. Not a fan of Nicky at all.
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Completely agree with you. I don't like Nicky at all. As a long time user of Andrew too, I'm quite happy with Aldi toilet roll.
    Pollycat wrote: »
    :eek:
    I've just bought a Nicky 9 roll pack to try (after using quilted velvet for years).
    So we've tried Nicky and agree 100% that it's not nice.

Once the 9 rolls have gone, we'll vote with out bums and try something different.
    I seem to remember that Aldi had some 4 ply quilted rolls.
    Anyone tried that?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Overall, I find L & A better for this than the big supermarkets. I used to shop at a very large, very busy inner London Tesco, and I would have issues with my bill every other week. Annoyingly, some staff took it upon themselves to negotiate over the "double the difference" policy - although it wasn't clear whether this was an attempt to save the store money, or laziness that they didn't want to walk the length of the store to check the price label.
    I ended up in a large Tesco Extra late yesterday afternoon, not to buy groceries, but for another service offered on-site.

I couldn't believe a) how busy it was and b) just how much of everything people were buying, especially random non-food and luxury food items. I suppose I'm now so used to buying a small basket full of essentials from Aldi / Lidl that I thought the rest of the world was as disinterested in food as me.

Its a sure sign that the economy's ok....for now.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 March 2018 at 3:37PM
    Options
    My problem with being over-charged is how much/how little to complain about. I used to have a lower limit of 10p, but that's now looking too low, and 25p might be more sensible. (I can distinctly remember in Tesco's seeing a 10p error and being about to dismiss it, and then finding another, or even 2, on the same receipt).

I can't stand the withering look you get when you make them go through their inevitably arduous refund process for just 10p.

The root cause of it all is that I can reliably remember all the prices. Perhaps that will fade with age, though. :)
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Once the 9 rolls have gone, we'll vote with out bums and try something different.

People should really check their posts before pressing "Submit" :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure