NST - Achievable August

Options

Comments

• Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    I feel differently about this. I could save a bit buying dog food from somewhere like this but I go to a local feed store which sells everything from fish food to horse feed and all the other things that go along with those animals and it is more important to me that this business does well and all the staff keep their job than me saving a pound or two. I feel this way in general about online shopping and will research online then try my utmost to buy on the high street.

I do try and support local as much as I can - I buy my chicken/turkey/goose/pig food from a local feed store and spend quite a few hundred each month but I save between £10-£20 per bag on dog and cat food by using Zooplus, if it was a few pounds I wouldn't bother shopping elsewhere but sadly its not. I buy large bags of dog and cat food and they last 4 - 5 weeks so its quite a saving over the year.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    plumduff55 wrote: »
    Hi, sorry I've not been posting but I've had a family crisis and last thing I can think about is being frugal. Going to son's on Thursday for a week then 5 days after returning I'm going to Australia for a month. This is very unexpected and I only booked yesterday. I could never have afforded this if I hadn't been so frugal for so many years.
    Hopefully when I get back from Australia my life will settle back down to my quiet boring frugal existence. Hope to be back on board later in the year xx

Oh plumduff - thanks for joining us over the last month and hopefully will see you back with us Turtles soon :A
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SFD number 4 today :)

Went to the gym, walked the boys, collected blackberries and did some temping work, so rather happy with that. Looking forward to a cooler day tomorrow so that I can be more productive around the house!
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • bizzie
    bizzie Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aiming for 15 NSD currently on #7
    Updated budgets all looking ok
    Get prepared on backburner until next month after some family birthdays
    Utilise making most of weather being outside and visiting family and friends
    Share make a wishlist for retailers and buy when they offer a beneficial deal eg discount or extra
    Treat still thinking what I would like
    Groceries: Personal Spend: 0 NST NSD Goals for 2024:Self: Health: Wealth :
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    E_E - that is a rather large saving, much more than I would be saving.

apple/KerryWoman - you are lucky to be able to book a GP's appointment in advance, we can't do that unless the GP says you can. It is ridiculous, not everyone is dropping dead on the day they phone and able to drop everything and go, sometimes you have a non urgent issue that can wait a few days.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All-

Just checking in -

Aim- still only on 2 as I need to go shopping tonight for Centre parcs this weekend. This however is much better than buying food there & eating out.

Update- my bills have now all gone out and so I have an extra £15. so my spending money for the next two weeks in £115 pounds plus £100 for C parcs.

Get- no more done for xmas BUT I am doing 4 days over time this month and that all goes into the xmas pot.

Utilise- no free activities planned but did add quinoa to our porridge oats this morning to get them used up and I have been working through items in the house that need using.

Share-carry a juice shotz and water bottle in the car or in your handbag - you can usually find free water so this is a quick and easy way of getting a juice while out and about if you have little ones.

Treat- Candle smelling lovely :)
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    Just checking in. Still on 1 nsd. I dont know why I seem to be spending everyday. However, determined to get sorted. Today will be a no spend day.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    NSD4 today

Picked a massive lunchbox full of blackberries down a path in the park while the boys played football. I am using the time to walk around in circles for 1 hour and lie under a tree and read for 1 hour.

Then came home, picked over the berries and open froze on baking trays and then bagged up, so I can grab a handful when needed rather than having to defrost an iceberg in advance.

Made a brilliant salad dressing from the left over marinade the olives came in. Chili lettuce surprised the kids!

Saw a builder drop £5 note outside the sandwich shop, so followed him in as he looked confused at his empty pocket and gave it back to him

Got £2 lurve2sh0p voucher in post from postal spy survey - went straight to Xmas envelope

Going to take pictures of unwamted furniture and see if I get a bite...
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 8 August 2018 at 11:43AM
    Options
    Sorry for the lack of check-ins - not a lot happening moost days.

Yesterday I was at mum's shortly after 8am. Volunteer driver (extended family) arrived to take us to mum's neuro appointment (down to check up every 4 months now). Found a good car parking spot but big queues from then on - luckily I had a small present for the driver's small son which kept him entertained most of the time. They went to look at the ambulances whilst I went in with mum. Doctor was very pleased with how well mum looked, still on four monthly check-ups but trying to resume reducing the steroids.

Next to Barton Aerodrome (now called city airport) to look at helicopters, small planes and micro lights and have lunch. The 2 air ambulances were at the other side of the field we parked in. A smallish fun fair had attracted crowds (it's normally empty) but the food was good and we saw enough helicopters (in the air and on the ground) to keep a small boy happy.

Mum wanted to call at meat mart on the way back so trundled round with a basket on her walker and packed nearly £50 of stuff in the car boot. Unpacked at mum's. driver and small boy went home to weed their garden (been away for 2 weeks and her garden has gone from dead to weed infested).

Spent nearly an hour unpacking meat and repacking in small quantities to fill the freezer. Short rest then worked on a birthday card mum has been making. Used wool to make 'balloon' strings and fixed the bits that mum couldn't get to work. Went through 2 cupboards full of framed photos to find something to fit the card - left it until Thursday as the glue needs to dry.

Put the completed jigsaw away and started another (separated the edge pieces out for mum to do in the next few days). Bins out, fed us both, watched Supervet and came home. Put my bin out and went to bed.

Today I am totally wiped out. Have woken briefly 3 times. Have taken painkillers and now okay but feel 'boneless'. Have my craft tool box and a colouring book for crafts and if I wasn't halfway through helping someone make a card, I might cry off altogether. However if this is all I've got, then I will do what I can (plan, 15 minute work sessions, get rubbish out, put away 3 things every time I go to the bathroom). Think I might have lunch at the Centre, so that's one less thing to think about (need to take more wraps from the freezer as I ate the last one for breakfast). Just get myself washed and dressed in the next hour. Will need a taxi so it's going to be a spend day - yesterday was a NSD, any money I spent was refunded.

For yesterday, I am grateful that mum is so much better (doctor says that now the myasthenia is under control it should not affect her life as long as she takes the pills), for a good day out and being with a small boy again (I enjoy the company of all my sons - separately - but small boys are fun, especially when you are not the one who has to deal with the tantrums).

For today I am grateful for having the sense to listen to my body (more sleep and painkillers) but also being able to work round it to keep my committments to others and make some small attempts at progress (hoping I have a bit more energy this evening), for house repairs at the house on the car park (free entertainment if I have another slump after crafts) and the heat not being oppressive.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • s1n25
    s1n25 Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    Morning All!! Laptop wouldn’t work over weekend so not been able to update!! Been itching to get back on here.

Aim Day 6 of NSD. Going well so far! Today we have a birthday so £20 in a card which means it won’t be a NSD day but planning on not spending then for the remaining week.

Update (Budgets)
    Budgets, I’m annoyed with myself. I ended up going out on Saturday and taking my card not cash! (should really listen to my own advice!!) wanted to keep spending around the £50 mark but ended up spending £71.78. :( Will be trying a lot harder with this for the rest of the month!!

Get (prepared for Xmas)
    Still not planned my Xmas list. Cleared out a load of junk from our back room and sold some gold. £100 of this put away for Xmas! Still need to get £50 cash out of bank to put in Xmas pot. I’m also selling iphone and old straighteners to a site I found online this should bring a total of £70 which will be going in straight in the Xmas pot.

Utilise (free activities in your area)
    Still going on my weekly walks finding them a lot nicer than going the gym. (mainly because of the warm weather) I’m also stuck in an office all day I enjoy the fresh air.

Share (money saving tips)
    Have a rummage through any old boxes, attics, garages you’d be amazed at what you can get money for these days. I have 2 pairs of old GHD straighteners that don’t work found a company online that buy them for £10 each! Doesn’t sound much but I was only going to chuck the straighteners might as well get money for them!

Treat (yourself)
    New nails this week :j
    Debt Free Diary..."Start of a new chapter"
    Nov: Unsecured Debt : £2,900.. Bring your lunch to work 1/18..NSD challenge 5/20

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure