NST - Achievable August

Options

Comments

• cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning Turtles
    6 NSDs so far which is much better than expected.
    Yesterday I went to Lidlee for my shopping, originally just for salad and yoghurt but added a few main meal bits and some frozen veg which will last the week. The only thing I couldn’t get was lens wipes but I’ll manage without for now.
    I got paid this morning so chunk off the credit card and I’ll knock more off before next weeks pay if there’s any left ( 3 hours overtime last week and 2 this week is all helping)
    Last nights weigh in was a pound and a half off so happy with that.
    It’s gone a bit cooler here so I’m sleeping better too.
    I also managed to get 2 chunky cardigans and a cotton jumper in the sales because all my winter stuff is worn out. Ok for around the house but too scruffy for anything else. I’m not complaining about needing new clothes though because as we both lose weight I am donating the big stuff straight away.
    Anyway better get on
    Hope you are all well
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    I can def feel my budget motivation slipping after a couple of months of doing pretty well. Must keep focused! No more NSDs this week, and I failed to organise lunch today. However I'm off for two weeks which is MUCH needed. Holiday will mean extra spending (budgeted for) but I am looking forward to it.

I also need to work out a balance between being sensible with my budget and getting anxious about spending. I get this when I try tracking food on a diet too - making healthier choices overall is fine, but if I track what I eat it's a quick route to my brain deciding that eating as little as possible is a Good Thing and getting anxious about eating at all. Stupid brain!

For those of an anxious persuasion, how do you tell your brain that some spending (when budgeted and affordable) is fine?

Oh and a money saving tip from me: use conditioner instead of shaving cream. Works a treat :D
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Same thing with me and anxious when dieting and spending money.

You work out your budget and then give yourself permission to spend it.

I have multiple online banking accounts, and move money between them - I have a budget for the week that sits in the everyday acccount , but then the money for the rest of the month sits in another account so that I can switch it all around, and if one of the kids suddenly need new football boots and trainers or school ties (grr) then that money gets transferred in.

I never seem to run out of money this way, and there is always some money left over at the end of the month that can either be a mortgage overpayment or for a treat or birthday presents. Or a budget for a c/s expedition (so books really!)

You have to have something to look forward to, otherwise I get anxious as there is no goal to focus on - currently the goal is getting the mortgage down to £100k in 2018.

On track but I feel like a pauper hermit with no friends (present company excluded) sometimes.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • Tropically
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »

Put the wine on Olio.[/QUOTE]

I will, particularly the opened gins etc. With the unopened wine, I am reluctant to give away £300's worth to a stranger (or series of strangers) particularly since my recent experience on gumtree where people kept failing to show up to collect free items has me being very cynical.
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041 :eek:
    2nd Property Mortgage at £275,000. Mortgage free: 2049 :eek:
    Total OPs: £29529
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:
    Back from a very expensive (but budgeted) few days. The kids had a great time - my legs didn't. I'm not used to 16000+ steps a day and I'm a big girl so quite tired, and having a well deserved rest today.
    No more nsd's and I had to fuel and grocery shop this morning so none today either - but I knew August would be rough spends wise (why I exam mark) so trying not to stress about that. We're back away again on Monday so I'm going to relax and prepare for that, and rejig the budget to suit.
    While we've been away, we've had a bit of work done on the bathroom, and it looks a lot better now than it did when we went away. Still more to do but I need to save up a bit more.
    Today I'm grateful for sunshine, but not too warm. Exam marking so I can take my kids on holiday, and a sink that doesn't leak.
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Yesterday was a spend day - took the washing to mum's but withdrew cash and sent Beloved (and DS3 - she woke him up) to the shop round the corner to buy a reconditioned machine. £250 from my savings/ emergency fund/ long term purchases (all one). Told her to go for as many As and +s as possible.

Had noticed several large capacity ones and suggested going for one of them so it's easier to wash quilts etc. - my days of trampling up and down on them in the bath are over. It will mean less (but bigger) loads and with an eye on future proofing the door is bigger as well as the drum - should make it slightly easier to load and unload.

7 bags taken to mum's, 4 washing, 2 crafts and food (shopping for mum and my meals for the day). Set off the washing, worked on the jigsaw in between (mum was working on one of the piles I had separated out). Another mystery one but more radical - last time I had to cope with the black steam engine turning into a red modern one, this time it warns you (inside) that the picture on the box is not the same as the puzzle.

I have worked out that it's a desk with various items on it (pen, pencil, coiled phone cord, car keys, blotter) with a series of video surveillance photos spread out on it. Made quite good progress especially when one of my rows matched a row or patch I had done the other day. However apart from the top, I still only have a vague idea whether the other edges are rh side, left hand side or the bottom - linked up lots of matched bits but not a complete outline.

I also did a little crafting (swapped over to the couch in the front room so helped with back pain etc) as well as multiple trips from the kitchen and up and down the yard with wet/ dry washing.

Have booked the taxi for Saturday (lunch at DS1's) and made a provisional booking for coming back home (to mum's). Mum will be paying for those but I may need a taxi to mum's (if I get my act together). I divided the hand tools when DS1 and his gf moved into their house last year, but he did not have room for the sledge hammer, so I may take those with me (no rush as it's a new build, he won't need the sledgehammer anytime soon). I have presents from Portmeirion (gf is a fellow whovian) and gin jam from Pontefract (mum bought that so she doesn't need to take anything else - she asked me). I need to write out the stuff I want translated for the Italy trip (medical info including hip replacement in case it sets off the airport scannners) and a couple of other things to consider (he asked me to collect full addresses for the relatives he knows, presumably for his Christmas card list and possible bbq invite - wedding celebration for people here as the actual wedding party is only about 2 dozen people).

New washer has been installed (old one removed for free) and is quietly working on a quilt.

My plans for the day are finish eating, have a bath, deal with the washing up and parts of the kitchen and then go to boob squash appointment. May manage a SFD if bus fares to and from the appointment are classed as medical but not holding my breath. Will need to buy food at some point and bus could take me near to a couple of SMs for the same price as coming home.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    Today is NSD 3. Had a bit of low day but perked up now.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Yesterday was NSD 5 and today has been 6.

Tomorrow will not be as we need football boots for DS3 and his inconvenient foot growth spurt. Oh well, the old ones will do DS4 next.

Finished a book, started another.

Off to clean the kitchen.and put supper on.

Tropically - can you not get in touch with wherever you bought it and return for cash?

If not, I would think it would be snapped up on a Fakebook site with this weather and bbqs, and it is still wedding season. I mean, wedding surplus is a totally acceptable reason for having too much booze.

Either that or it is NST Christmas pary at Tropically's house _party__party_:santa2:
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    @indigowarrior hope you're feeling OK.

Really frustrating day work wise so I'm glad it's Friday. It's getting to the point where I don't want to go in any more, so I know I need to do something about it and look for a new job. I've spent three months trying to fix the current situation with no joy, just promises that it'll be resolved "eventually". In the meantime I stagnate and become deskilled. I actually love being busy at work so this doesn't sit well with me at all.

Anyway enough ranting. Money spent on train fare today but I get to claim the cost back as a work expense. Glad it's the weekend. Vet tomorrow for my little bunny, he has a long term health condition but the cost is covered by the rescue centre I got him from, so it won't cost me anything. Really fancy spending the rest of the day in my pyjamas watching films :rotfl: Sunday I might pop to a local horse show in the morning followed by my own riding. A nice quiet weekend is just what the doctor ordered I think!
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £2,056.55 as of 04/24
  • swimminginaseaofdebt
    swimminginaseaofdebt Posts: 942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 August 2018 at 9:21PM
    Options
    Evening everyone,

Spent £8.50 at the supermarket today so budget is at £134.13/£350.

Sent £3.86 to at the EF, that’s £12.47 added to date.

Lost my patience with the little one today when he hit me on the head with my phone :eek:
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure