Hyperoptic

Options
1GBPS broadband! (and 100, and 20 mbps) The have rolled out through London towards the end of last year, and will choose the next key cities depending on how much interest they get via their site.

They are really cheap and it is by former BE employees.

https://hyperoptic.com/web/guest/home#1

Comments

• hippey
    hippey Posts: 849 Forumite
    Options
    Got to admit, sounds good.... But no pricing on the site.

I think I'll stick with BT FTTP.
    These are my thoughts and no one else's, so like any public forum advice - check it out before entering into contracts or spending your hard earned cash!

I don't know everything, however I do try to point people in the right direction but at the end of the day you can only ever help yourself!
  • aerostar
    aerostar Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hippey wrote: »
    Got to admit, sounds good.... But no pricing on the site.

As they say "Oh yes there is"

https://hyperoptic.com/web/guest/home#3
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Isn't this going to be useless unless you have a home network infrastructure (router, NIC etc) that will support 1Gbps, and are accessing services that have that kind of uplink?
  • bluedoganchorite
    Options
    Isn't this going to be useless unless you have a home network infrastructure (router, NIC etc) that will support 1Gbps, and are accessing services that have that kind of uplink?

I don't have much technical knowledge, I think they were going to start by targeting large shared dwellings first.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/hyperoptic/4075925-welcome-to-hyperoptic.html?vc=1
  • hippey
    hippey Posts: 849 Forumite
    Options
    aerostar wrote: »
    As they say "Oh yes there is"

https://hyperoptic.com/web/guest/home#3

But it's FROM £25 so I assume it's personal pricing. WIll be interesting to see how it works out, but seems to good to be true, a little like Ionica.
    These are my thoughts and no one else's, so like any public forum advice - check it out before entering into contracts or spending your hard earned cash!

I don't know everything, however I do try to point people in the right direction but at the end of the day you can only ever help yourself!
  • wapow
    wapow Posts: 939 Forumite
    Options
    FROM £25 is a rip off.
    Other companies will then start their pricing policy. Then about a year they will have to reduce prices as of fair trading blah blah too much hassle. Allow it.
  • monsieur_epargnant
    monsieur_epargnant Posts: 2,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 June 2012 at 4:23PM
    Options
    That price is with the phone service too. Having been with BE from it's inception I was reluctantly considering of taking up Infinity. Running a small business from home this service seems phenomenal for me. I can instantly cut my costs with a still faster speed than what I currently pay.

BT charge £14.60 monthly service for a phone don't even use. I haven't wanted it for around 10 years. BT FINALLY lose their monopoly. Already the 3 year roll out of Infinity looks LAME.

BE charge me £27 for what is in effect 13 Meg download and 1.9 Meg upload pro package.

I live in a Grade 2 listed building last upgraded onto Westminster Cable in the 90's. Cutting edge at the time but when NTL then Virgin took over the reigns none of them have been willing to upgrade the network to even allow broadband. WEIRD!

The landlord is also very strict on dishes due to it's conservation status.

Hyperoptic seems an unbelievable option that came from a curveball. I was considering Infinity but when I heard of this just today for the first time I actually squealed. Yes geeks can do this without warning but hours later I'm still working on my neighbours lol.

The prices you quote include the phone for £12.50. If you don't take the phone then you pay £22.50. That is actually the FROM price. An extra £2.50 get's you the phone too. Virgin do 100 Meg£25.50 (after the initial reduced period) a month but in a building that they won't rush to improve therein lies a catch 22 situation. And hardly a 'rip off' when you compare the market Wapow.

Makes it a total of £41.60 for the both phone and pro package I currently pay. Yes it's highly priced net right now due to higher upload speeds I pay for. £36.60 it would be if you based it on BE's unlimited package instead. But I would get almost TWICE the speed I have currently for about half the price. Nearly 8 times the speed for the current price I'm paying. And 77 times my current speed for an extra £18 per month.

Needless to say I've preregistered my interest. Based on their service and experience I've experienced with my years as a customer of BE.
    “We are not interested in the fact that the brain has the consistency of cold porridge.” - Alan Turing.
  • bluedoganchorite
    Options
    Oh, cool, I'm glad somebody found this tantalising.

Can anyone from Plymouth also register their interest so that I have an icnreased chance of getting it, haHA!

I tried to post in a Plymouth forum, but the mods thought I was spamming.. damn.
  • LincolnshireYokel
    Options
    We're so backward in the UK. they've had 10 Gbs fibre in Tokyo and Yokahama for about three years.
    **** I hereby relieve MSE of all legal responsibility for my post and assume personal responsible for all posts. If any Parking Pirates have a problem with my post then contact me for my solicitors address.*****
  • Markinjapan99
    Options
    Just searching for details on broadband and saw a company called Hyperoptic, but had never heard of them.
    I'm in Braintree, north Essex and it says I can get 74.4mb download on Fibre optic at 1.1 miles away from the exchange.

I know that's not lightning quick compared to some areas of the country but seems the best I've found for here.

So, 1, are Hyperoptic any good?
    2, does that speed sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills