FREE Tesco Clubcard points for turning GREEN !!!!!

Options

Comments

• juliamarsh
    juliamarsh Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The cashier just asks you how many of your own bags you've used. Only knew about this this week but next week I'll go in with a motley assortment of as many plastic bags as I can lay my hands on, put just a few things in each and get loads of clubcard points!! You can't get the points if you shop online, someone was asking about that.
  • essay_2
    essay_2 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    For several years now I have not used bags provided by the supermarkets. I also shop at Costco, Makro and Lidl who do not supply free bags. I have collapsible plastic crates permanently in the boot of my car and just transfer shopping direct from the trolley. I have heard passing people comment on what a good idea it is.
    I do feel awkward sometimes leaving the supermarket with shopping not in bags, so keep the receipt in my hand.
    I do think that supermarkets should charge for bags but make them larger and stronger. It would certainly make people think twice about picking up more than necessary.
  • nilocmac
    nilocmac Posts: 507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    djhworld wrote:
    Hi there.

I'm a checkout assistant at Tesco and can offer some advice on this bag re-use thing.

If you re-use carrier bags, you get 1 point per bag.

If use use the big fruit crates (usually posistioned at the end of the till) the checkout assistant has the authority to give you a maximum of 3 points, depending on how well you fill it.

If you use your own bags (i.e. rucksack, handbag, bag for life) the checkout assistant is allowed to give you a maximum of 2 points.

Hope that helps!

What about bags for life what are they regarded as? Surely they would equal 2 plastic bags.
  • lswwong
    lswwong Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    I go to a Tesco Express near the office (location: Farringdon, London). On Monday morning none of the staff knew anything about this scheme and I did not get a point for putting my breakfast shopping into my own bag. Grump!

Just popped in for my lunch things and they know by now. Though I had to point out up front that I was expecting my bonus points for using my own bags.

I have a lot of free bags from magazines and I use them as shopping bags often. This is similar to other posters who are thinking of making up cheap calico bags. I like the calico bags idea a lot. I would like to personalise one with a big, red lobster design on the calico/canvas background.

Couple of ideas just occurred to me to help ensure one getting one's green points:

1. Always have a copy of the relevant flyer/policy to hand. I am going to try and print something from Tesco's website. This should help the cashiers to clarify what the policy is.

2. Always state to the cashier at the beginning that you are expecting to be awarded green points for reusing bags AND have your Clubcard ready to hand over for swiping.

3. Always use/put shopping into reused Tesco (or equivalent ones from other supermarkets) bags first - just to help the cashiers to count up with ease. Then put the filled bags into whatever other containers, rucksack or strong bags that you are going to use to take your shopping home in.

I am saving my Clubcard points for airmiles and really don't mind making a small effort to ensure that I get all the green points that I can get!
  • TDWalsh13
    TDWalsh13 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    tanith wrote:
    Never can understand why people don't do this as a matter of course I bought half a dozen bags for life and one big trolley bag and hardly ever use any of the freebies when the bags are too tatty to use they just swop them for new ones at the checkout..... they are only 10p and last your forever.....

COME ON PEOPLE HOW HARD IS IT?

dribsandrabs It doesn't start yet as in the above post......

Does anybody know where you can buy the "big trolley bags" these days? My OH does the weekly shop and uses a trolley bag that clips onto the trolley to load the shopping into. Our bags are on their last legs and OH says he won't do the shopping once they've had it.
  • Lil_2
    Lil_2 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Asked the boy at the checkout if the scheme had started. He confirmed that it had. Told him I estimated that I would use 3 carrier bags. No, he said, how many carriers have you brought with you. Five I said.........OK that's five points. Now I'm wondering if I should take 100 bags with me each time I go to shop!!
  • joughtib
    joughtib Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    i've just come back from my shopping trip to tesco, with 26 items (yes I have counted them!). I used one box, and put the rest in the trolley, as I have crates in the back of the car.

For this I received 2 points, eventually when I complained at the customer service desk. I was told that it is purely down to the amount of bags used, not the amount that would be used.

The tariff is 1 point for a bag, 2 for a box, and 3 for a wheelie shopping bag. So I'm also tempted to take 100 bags for the weekly shop and fill each one with one item, and see what happens!
  • ShockingPink
    ShockingPink Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    About a year to degrade in landfill I believe.

A dead whale in a landfill would take much longer and I am dubious about how useful they would be as bin liners :D

As it happens, the dead whale that was washed up at Seascale has just been put in to a Landfill site! The "Distington Pong" is about to get pongier...
    C'est le ton qui fait la chanson
  • swapmeetpete
    Options
    If you find yourself without bags to re-use just grab a handful out of the bag recycling container which is outside most Tescos.
  • full-time-mum
    full-time-mum Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Options
    If you find yourself without bags to re-use just grab a handful out of the bag recycling container which is outside most Tescos.
    :rotfl: Like this idea a lot!!! :rotfl:

Anyone any idea how you would get your green points if you go through the self-service checkout?
    My guess is that you'll have to queue up at CS - rather defeats the object of using the self-service!
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure