FREE Tesco Clubcard points for turning GREEN !!!!!

Options

Comments

• jaxw
    jaxw Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    My tesco (Perth) told me today I only get points for any carrier bags I bring in to the store & reuse, so my own bag or a cardboard box, or only buying one thing so not needing a bag wouldn't count for green points. I suppose it makes it easier for them to count how many bags I have saved but doesn't make sense really. They also said that I will get 2 points if I bring in and reuse a wine carrier so it might be worth investigating how many points we can get for different things. (I use wine carriers for carrying bottles of juice etc)
  • KathrynPenguin
    Options
    jaxw wrote:
    My tesco (Perth) told me today I only get points for any carrier bags I bring in to the store & reuse, so my own bag or a cardboard box, or only buying one thing so not needing a bag wouldn't count for green points. I suppose it makes it easier for them to count how many bags I have saved but doesn't make sense really. They also said that I will get 2 points if I bring in and reuse a wine carrier so it might be worth investigating how many points we can get for different things. (I use wine carriers for carrying bottles of juice etc)

Your Tesco are WRONG! My tesco has a flyer and I picked one up (teachers collect the strangest things for lessons!) and it said "any bag from another store... your rucksack....even your briefcase"
    The best things in life are NOT free - but they sure are cheaper with MSE!:j
  • Sallys_Savings
    Options
    I did some shopping today and took a cardboard box with me to put the shopping in. This box filled the smaller trolleys of tescos, so quite big.

At the checkout I was awarded 2 extra points.

When I returned home, out of curiosity I put the shopping in some old plastic bags...it filled up 6 bags :(

I think i'm going to make up some bags (like another poster on here) out of some old upholstry fabric I have laying around and leave them in the boot of the car...it will be easier for the cashier to count the bags I've saved.

Bit sad I know ;) .... but if I lose 10 points each week (I visit 2/3 times a week) like this it could add up to about 500 points a year....which in turn is £20 in deals that I could lose out on....just off to find that fabric ;)
  • djhworld
    djhworld Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there.

I'm a checkout assistant at Tesco and can offer some advice on this bag re-use thing.

If you re-use carrier bags, you get 1 point per bag.

If use use the big fruit crates (usually posistioned at the end of the till) the checkout assistant has the authority to give you a maximum of 3 points, depending on how well you fill it.

If you use your own bags (i.e. rucksack, handbag, bag for life) the checkout assistant is allowed to give you a maximum of 2 points.

Hope that helps!
    Can I afford to buy? Mortgage Affordability Calculator

https://caniaffordtobuy.co.uk/
  • djhworld
    Options
    kronen wrote:
    I went to CS today as had not been given my 1 point foy my 1 bag, only bought a few bits. Felt stupid but still 4p in deals, she awaded me 5 points.
    From the jist of the staffs conversation the cashiers have been forgetting to add points all day. Guess they will get used to it, but I'll still be checking.

The problem with the whole thing is Tesco rushed it out too quick

I received 'training' for it on Saturday. When I say training, I mean, being told what to do over my shoulder while serving customers.

Hopefully things should sort out in the next few weeks when Staff get used to it :)

• Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i just cant see how this would make me money, regualr bin liners are quite expensive, i havent seen any for less than 3p each so i think ill just keep using my bags as bin liners, and surely its as bad for the envirnment to make bin liners as it is carrier bags (surely a bit worse coz bin liners are bigger than my bins and carriers fit perfectly) also, theyre handy to take to car boots and re-cycle there coz then you can sell more, hence even more cash for recycling!

I like this point. I am very pro the environment and use my bags for life alot but when we have run out of supermarket bags for bins I conveniently forget them. However, unless you get through an awful lot of rubbish (another subject) then I expect most people can benefit from this scheme. BTW I never buy bin liners in true mse form.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • djhworld
    Options
    I don't understand why there are so many cynical comments about the scheme.

Personally I think it's an excellent idea, it helps the environment and it saves on bags. Being a checkout assistant, it's easy to see how many bags go out of the store throughout the day. You could put a batch of 1000 on the till and by the end of your shift there'll only be around 100 left.

The clubcard incentive is the best part, surely all you money savers will agree?

• Dustykitten
    Options
    madjohn wrote:
    Tesco's aren't being green in the slightest!!!

They're jus trying to save on forking out for so many bags that are used on a weekly basis. But why are they complaining!?
    If they had no customers, then no one would be there to use the bags in the first place! And they'd have less cash!
    But noooooo, they're still not satisfied.

Think i'm being cynical? Perhaps, but consider that this is their only option in reducing bag useage without charging (which they simply cannot do...!).

The penny-pinching muppets! The 'Green' issue, I'm afraid', is jus a by product (< I thank yooou!) of their profit-driven mentality.

Shop at Asda - but do reuse your bags..! It's much cheaper there too.
    Nuff said.

I agree with you. I have just popped into tesco - not my usual choice but was on the way back from the dentist which takes me past a tesco so being green went in the shop I was passing. I was shivering by the time I had walked down the aisle to get yoghurt. The amount of energy they waste with those open freezer cabinets would save enough oil to make god knows how many plastic bags.

Don't get me wrong. I use bags for life all the time and am happy to get the odd extra points (2 for these bags not 1 like free bags I was told at the check out) but I think Tesco are jumping on the green bandwagon with this.
  • Dustykitten
    Options
    My last point in this very useful thread!

RE cardboard boxes - I do sometimes use these at the supermarket (I acutally really like cardboard boxes - sad I know). This though is another great ploy for the stores as they must have to pay waste disposal and now all the lovey customers are taking the rubbish away for them. I might start removing all the pointless extra packaging at the store and leaving it there to make up for it. What are most customers doing when the boxes come home - taking them to be recycled (I guess Tesco recycle them? Being so Green) or add to their own rubbish for landfill - yes they will decomose but will all take up a lot of space?
  • djhworld
    Options
    You're all forgetting ASDA has

- No reward scheme
    - Has only just introduced a 'bag for life' scheme
    - Is more expensive then Tesco.

Just because I'm a Tesco employee doesn't mean I pose any bias, it's just I've been shopping at Tesco for years and they've always come out on top.

People complaining about "tesco just wanting to save money" - Well of course they want to save money, it works both ways. You save the environment and get clubcard points, they save money.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family