NST Penny Pinching GoSober Stoptober

Options

Comments

• WelshKitty85
    WelshKitty85 Posts: 1,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry I didn't post yesterday. It the end of my first full week at work after maternity leave so I've been exhausted. No more spend days to declare. Yesterday we needed milk. Today I preordered a Christmas present for DC3. It's a new educational toy made by a local company and I've been waiting for them to release it. I've never seen them do special offers so jumped at the reduced preorder price. I now have all of DC3s birthday (November) and Christmas presents. All meals have been from stores, no takeaways.
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Evening all. :coffee:
    Semi productive day. Didn't manage to catch up with bestie unfortunately but I did get a lot of me time and spent most of the day relaxing. I am trying not to feel guilty about the fact that when I got changed it was into a clean pair of pyjamas. :D
    Got some work done for the exam board, and a bit of school stuff. Then spent time finishing a hat I've been asked to make, and started the second one I've been asked to do.
    Stopped burying my head in the sand about Christmas and started thinking of cheap but useful pressies that I can get for the kids. I haven't gotten very far but at least I'm doing something about it. Can't run away from that for ever.
    Whilst I didn't go out I did do a quick exercise session just for the sake of keeping partly active. Also bagged a nsd so not bad all in all...

1 Don't be a martyr for Christmas

2 Involve the children (without spoiling the magic)
    They know money is tight so have a discussion about what 'makes' Christmas for them. We did this when our boys were 8, 6 and 3 and the most important thing was getting chocolate money in their stockings.

3 For several years I have asked everyone to put down their favourite Christmas foods. If they haven't put it on the list (limit them to ten items but be grateful if you get 3 suggestions) then they are not allowed to complain if it doesn't appear.

4 If you are starting to grow veg (I know gardening is not your thing) the advice is to grow what your family will eat. Plan your food around what they like. If everyone hates sprouts, don't buy them. If no-one likes Christmas cake or pudding, make a cake they like (probably a lot cheaper) or have ice cream for dessert (we used to have a chocolate steamed pudding from a can)

5 If you have helpful (or show off) relatives, enlist their help with expensive presents. My mother would buy half price large lego sets (that I had seen) in the sales and keep them for Christmas/ birthdays. My brother hated shopping and would happily hand over money for me to buy the boys presents. Your ex may want to demonstrate his 'love' with kick a$$ presents (as long as this is not at the price of not paying any maintenance, I'd say 'knock yourself out'.

6 Something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read is a good place to start.

7 Don't fear 'second hand' - charity shops, local bookface selling pages, school/church fairs, cast offs from older cousins/ friends/ neighbours. All excellent sources of toys (+books and stocking fillers), some of which could be straight off the shelves.

In the past my sons have had a pool table (£10 from second hand shop), first skateboards (B'n'M after my b-i-l said I wouldn't get them for the money I could spare), badminton set and spare raquets (cs).

This week on our fb page someone was selling a load of paw patrol stuff for £60 - big money but it contained at least 4 full sets each of which had coat £60.

8 Don't waste money on things like new decorations. If you feel the need for some changes let the children make new some or refurbish some of the old ones.

9 This is the start of your new life. If you have existing free activities you do in the run up to Christmas or over the festive season, keep them. Start some new ones.

10 Don't be a martyr for Christmas. Think about what you need. If it's an hour of peace on your own, a hot bath, a quiet sit down with a drink, a biscuit and a book or film or even to hide in your bedroom and howl, make time for it.

I know it's not easy, atm your life sounds like a rewind of life with a new (non-sleeping) baby. You start dreaming about sleeping.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all :j

Challenge: Oops forgot this one yesterday! Don't smoke & rarely drink either, so it has to be giving up unhealthy snacks...Snacks mostly healthy (fruit) but did accept 2 little pieces of choc from DD & ate without thinking, doh!

No Spend Challenge: Do like the sound of this but do my shopping on Tuesday, I could prep by shopping at the weekend but hate going then & never do if humanly possible to avoid....hmm will have to ponder. Will make an exception for Tuesday & try for a 6 day week..
    Organise. Start as you mean to go on. Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Plan your meals around them. Cook from scratch. Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise. If you are new to turtle challenges or still have full cupboards you could try living from the cupboards. Made a soup from LO chicken & veg etc. YS sausages & HM chips for supper.

Regular budget items should be set by 1st October. If you don't know how much you are spending on food or petrol, now is the time to find out. Question every purchase - need or want? No purchases today.

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low). Am aiming for 15 but hoping for more. Now 3/15.

Improvise. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer. Spring came off up & over garage door, DH reattached it & it still works.

Exercise Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible. Out for a short time, logs still needing to be stacked this time in garage. Stupid female dog eating bark chips & growling at other dogs to keep away.

Christmas Glad others have this problem with OHs taking up valuable time when you can be getting on with stuff.....we are together 24/7 most of the time, but luckily can be in different rooms etc in this house, or in my case in the garden. 2 weeks break will definitely be welcome come December..

Finally Don't Be A Martyr For Christmas.

Banned Will only be chippys normally with the odd takeaway planned for a celebration etc. No takeaways today.

Extra Income and Extra time Spoke too soon, did not get much done today & DDs event was cancelled so she came back here...Luckily was able to go out over in York, so will not be back until tomorrow now.

Report in, daily if possible I'm here..

Go turtles !!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks apple I can’t stand dark chocolate, I’m addicted to c4dburys and eat way too much when I’m stressed.
    I’m going to try the spending freeze from today. Missed reading that post so broke it yesterday.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    Coxy :eek: to your rude guest! I hope you aren't planning to invite her back.

Mothernerd the giants sound amazing.

Spendy day yesterday as met friend for lunch - Plan was to go to the park but it was lashing it down so we pottered around the shops instead. Kept within my weekend spends budget, but that means today needs to be a NSD, which should bring me to 4/15. I have a few quid change in my purse, which I will no doubt need to hand over to the children for something but I'm accounting for that against yesterday's cash withdrawal. I find budgeting for small amounts of cash v stressful which is why I only take out my spending money in cash - everything else is tracked on the debit cards.

On the banned list: we ended up having a takeaway on Friday but DH paid. Monday is eldest's birthday and he has requested a takeaway so that's in the budget. Sounds terrible but we must have only had one other for a few months now.

Sunny day today :j so it's all about getting the washing out and then heading to the allotment to DIG. A bit of housework to do but not too bad. I may negotiate with youngest on his rates for vacuuming. If I can get him down to £1 for three bedrooms I'll fork out 😁.
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning turtles,

Organise- today I will be organising everything for the challenge next week- doing a shop, doing my meal plan.
    Regular Budget- will update once I've been out but expecting this to be about £100 to see us through the last two weeks.:cool:
    NSDs - I'm on 5, I don't actually need anything today but I am forgoing a NSD today to get everything I will need for the week.
    Xmas- off to M&S for a bit of posh food :rotfl:Ive got vouchers so Im gonna get things that will keep biscuits etc.

Banned- I had put £20 aside for a take away but Im doing a chilli instead as we need chicken supplies.

Have a fab Sunday all :D
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi just a quick on as Sundays are not easy for me to get online.

chocolatelover93 most things can be frozen, only a few foods that aren't suitable and ham is just like other meat.

Will be back with more replies on Monday. Happy spending freeze :)
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    mothernerd wrote: »
    1 Don't be a martyr for Christmas
    I know it's not easy, atm your life sounds like a rewind of life with a new (non-sleeping) baby. You start dreaming about sleeping.

Mothernerd - thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me with this wonderful advice. You have no idea how much it means to me, and how much I appreciate it. :grouphug:
    My kids are a bit older now (14 and 10) and neither of them seem to want anything much, but I won't discount any ideas at all. My dd still has her favourite ever cuddly toy, which was a pokemon I got from a charity shop for 50p when she was 5. I suspect it would have cost about £30 when new because it's massive.
    I have no idea what we'll actually do on Christmas day - I had debated 'running away' to a hotel or something, but I want to make the most of our new life and new memories before they get too old to enjoy it. I have no idea what their dad will do for them (there hasn't been any maintenance at all so far), but grandparents are usually very generous in terms of gifts so it won't be a complete washout.
    Thank you again, I have copied and saved your post to spur me along in preparation for the festivities. :kiss:
  • I_Want_to_be_Free
    Options
    Hello again everyone :wave: Sorry I didn't reply yesterday but I was so busy all day (will tell you all about in a min) but went onto my phone late last night to update you all but then realised that I wasn't logged in on my phone and I couldn't reset my password as I can only access my works emails on my laptop! :rotfl:

Anyway, yesterday was NSD 2! :j Not too sure how many to go for this month as I'm a beginner but I'm trying my hardest for 15 :D I spent yesterday indoors tidying and decluttering my bedroom. I have literally halved my wardrobe with clothes and shoes etc, some that still have the tags on :eek:, which can be sold. Also found board games and a foam roller still factory sealed so they are being sold. Presents from my ex are definitely going :rotfl: Should make a bit from them as he bought me a real diamond necklace 2 Christmas's ago and I have the certificate to prove it. It'll only fetch about £50 so it's not a huge diamond but it's still a chunk of money to go off my debts :D I also did my budget and it's not a 100% complete yet as I spent most of yesterday tidying but I worked out I should have at least £175 extra to throw at my debts so I tried to make an overpayment to my Barcl@ycard as it is the largest and more importantly has the most interest charged, but they only accept overpayments greater than the minimum payment which means I need to find at least £233 to make an overpayment. :mad: Now is it just me or does that seem really sh!tty of them??? I had planned to put all the little sales etc straight off my credit card but it seems I need to wait until I've saved up £233 to pay anything off. Sooooo, rather than lose interest I paid the £233 instead of £175 and I will spend my fuel allowance on the card this month (my minimum payment will also come out in a few days). I have then adjusted my minimum payment to be the minimum plus the £175 from next month onwards so take that you sw!nes! :rotfl:

Today will be a spendy day as I need to top up on fresh things but I am returning a skirt and will get £30 back for it :j I'm also sending back some impulse spends before I went on my holiday a few weeks back so I'll get about £70 for sending all those back. I probably won't receive a refund from those until the end of the month as I have to post them back and they take approx 14 workings days to process the refund apparently. I'm going to bag all my loose change as it's all in the bottom of a drawer so hopefully will be able to put some in the bank this week.

It may sound like a weird question but can you sell or donate knickers? :o I have been going through my underwear drawer and have found loads without tags but that I've never worn, nor will I ever wear. Just wondering if there's anywhere I can sell or donate them or whether I just need to bin them.

Oh and I'm going to go for the spend freeze challenge but only until Friday evening. I think not spending for 5 days will be an immense start for me as a newbie :T

Anyway, onto the challenge etc....

Challenge I've really been thinking hard about this one. I'm torn between limiting my phone use but I also know buying lunches at work are my big unnecessary expense! So I'm going to do both. I will allow myself 1 lunch per week if it's an emergency but that is it! I will also have a 15min per day allowance for all social media, for the rest of the time it is banned!

Organise I have been looking through my freezer and cupboards and I have loads so I have been meal planning (hence the spendy day today to top up what I need)

Regular budget Sort of done but need to do it properly tonight so it's all pretty and satisfies my OCD with spreadsheets :rotfl:

No Spend Days 2/15 :T

Improvise I'm terrible for trying to make every meal "perfect" by having all the exotic ingredients e.g. when I have a stir fry I should just buy a £1 bag from Asd@ but instead I have to buy baby sweetcorn, button mushrooms, red peppers, sugar snap peas, cashewnuts, fresh pineapple...which obviously costs a fortune :eek: So instead I've been trying to tone my meals down, making them healthy but without reducing the enjoyment.

Exercise Tidied my room for several hours yesterday so I think that counts! :rotfl:

Christmas We already have some restrictions on present giving but I've got a few bits for my nieces/nephew already and am imposing a massive spending limit as I literally could spend £100 or more on each of them if I don't control myself! :eek: I keep reminding myself that I'm not their parents and they have a lot more money than me!

Banned Takeaways Have done surprisingly well, no takeaways at all this weekend which is unheard of! :beer:

Extra Income / Extra time Not got anything sold yet and self imposed phone use challenge starts today.

Report in Here! :wave:

I hope you're all having a great weekend! :A
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 7 October 2018 at 10:45AM
    Options
    Organise - pantry organised,meals for week planned, PE kits packed.
    Challenge - Have no biscuits in the house. If I want it I have to bake it.
    Exercise - ran 1km this a/m - working on beating the pollen asthma - it is a start
    Autumn -running at sunrise, saw the grass steaming. love it! and candles too
    NSD 4 yesterday and 5 today - going to try for the 7 day spend freeze
    Improvise - going to be sneaky and cunning... as per.
    Christmas - I forgot I have some T0sc0 vouchers. Annoyingly many of the last year d/f / vegan xmas bits are no longer vegan. Looked in Aldeee, and Leedl, no milk free mice pies. Not even Fav0rina who are the absolute go-to brand for the last 10yrs. There may be stollen aheeeeead, but that is about it. Still no Xmas vegan ' kosher' lists out there yet for 2018, it may be a slim year, or just an externally imposed homemade Xmas.

Vices - been exceptionally good, no takeaways, no coffees, nada.
    Investigate things for half term - NOTHING
    Extra income - vouchers all over the place, will cashout in November
    Win some stuff - have started on the competitions again. Who knows what will appear through the letterbox? Adding excitement to my life.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport