Options

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,278 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 August 2019 at 12:17PM
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    A banking app uses about 200 megabytes of storage just sitting out on the phone waiting to be run ie 5 banking apps per gigabyte
    It varies:

TSB - 106 MB
    HSBC - 66 MB
    FD - 58 MB
    Starling - 55 MB
    M&S 30 MB (no doubt soon to rise when M&S implements their digital pass)

So 5 banking apps take up just over 300 MB storage on my phone, and those were the 5 I had that used the most storage. YMMV

For comparison, Chrome takes up 290 MB (excluding cache).
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    It varies:

TSB - 106 MB
    HSBC - 66 MB
    FD - 58 MB
    Starling - 55 MB
    M&S 30 MB (no doubt soon to rise when M&S implements their digital pass)

So 5 banking apps take up just over 300 MB storage on my phone, and those were the 5 I had that used the most storage. YMMV

For comparison, Chrome takes up 290 MB (excluding cache).

For me I have

HSBC 134 mb
    Halifax 120mb
    Tesco 106 mb
    M&S 42mb
    Coop 39mb

No idea why the HSBC one is 3-4 times the size in memory terms of the FD and M&S ones?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,278 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rich2808 wrote: »
    No idea why the HSBC one is 3-4 times the size in memory terms of the FD and M&S ones?
    I wonder if it comes down to usage and the amount of data it is caching (data and cache accounted for very little of the storage for any of my banking apps, less than 1 MB, with the exception of TSB which was up at 8.5 MB).

There wasn't much difference between FD and HSBC in my case. HSBC offers features that FD does not, such as mobile cheque imaging, which could account for some of the increased size.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 August 2019 at 9:03PM
    Options
    Glad to see that Nationwide do not force the people to install their apps at least for foreseeable future. It seems that text message, card reader, secure key is still in use for Strong Customer Authentication in high street Banks and Major BS.

Here is the message that I have got after login into my Nationwide Account.

"Changing the way you log in to the Internet Bank
    Check now that we have your correct mobile number.
    Soon we’ll be changing the way you log in to the Internet Bank.

You'll still be able to log in to the Internet Bank with your card reader, but you will no longer be able to use memorable data to log in. Don’t worry though - we’re introducing a new way to log in to the Internet Bank. Instead you’ll be asked to enter your Passnumber and a one-time code we send you in a text message.

If you’re not prepared for the upcoming changes, you might not be able to access the Internet Bank.

Please visit Details & Settings now to make sure we have your correct mobile number – you may need your card reader to hand.
    "
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 August 2019 at 12:31PM
    Options
    spot1034 wrote: »
    In my case, and I'm sure there are many others in a similar situation, it isn't that I object to any additional security checks that are deemed necessary, but that the execution of these involves me using a device that I do not possess - i.e. a mobile phone.

It is like me using my bank branch quite happily for many years and arriving on foot or by bus, and suddenly the bank tells me that they will only allow me in if I arrive in a car.

I am not quite sure with the OP reason but this hesitation is sometimes related to the resistance to change. Business need to keep changing to adapt with new enviroenment, regulation. Similarly, in life people will need to keep changing and adapt with new environments as this is the basic requirement needed for survival. You can not dictate the way the people conduct the business but you have the choice of staying or leaving them.

If you go to eBay and buy a secondhand mobile phone you might get it as low as £10 or less. I have seen a new mobile phone sold for £1, yes £1. It is cheaper than homephone set. Also like other people some high street banks will still allow other mean Strong Customer Authentications such as card readers, secure key, etc.
  • hoc
    hoc Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Any knowledge of when and which banks are to mandate use of mobile app? That is when both the OTP text to mobile option and any other non mobile app measure such physical card reader or code generator are removed?
  • Nicholas
    Nicholas Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hoc wrote: »
    Any knowledge of when and which banks are to mandate use of mobile app? That is when both the OTP text to mobile option and any other non mobile app measure such physical card reader or code generator are removed?

None of the mainstream banks are insisting on this, which is what I presume you mean.

There are some challenger banks that are app only, but they have always been this way.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nicholas wrote: »
    None of the mainstream banks are insisting on this, which is what I presume you mean.
    I thought the consensus was that Santander would sometime soon, and that there is no going back for HSBC/FD/M&S once you have started using their digital secure key.

I don't know of a firm date, and it certainly isn't the same date for all.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    there is no going back for HSBC/FD/M&S once you have started using their digital secure key.

Certainly with FD you can switch back to the physical key, although they will move heaven and earth to try to dissuade you.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Nicholas
    Nicholas Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 September 2019 at 8:35AM
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    I thought the consensus was that Santander would sometime soon, and that there is no going back for HSBC/FD/M&S once you have started using their digital secure key.

I don't know of a firm date, and it certainly isn't the same date for all.

I thought that Santander quickly withdrew this after customers rang and complained.

And what has having a digital secure key from HSBC group got to do with anything? Anyone using online banking with a physical key is not being forced to have a digital key. Sure, they are pushing it, but not forcing it on anyone as far as I am aware. M&S bank is the last one in the group to be introducing a secure digital key soon, but all they are saying is that you cannot use the app without the digital key. You will still be able to keep the physical key and use that for online banking.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback