Strong Customer Authentication - **Now delayed** changes to online verification

Options

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Blimey, i am seriously surprised you can still use XP on a banking website!
  • Nicholas
    Nicholas Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 September 2019 at 5:35PM
    Options
    alanwsg wrote: »
    It's not really a 'Downside', it's the whole point of 2FA - if you haven't got all of the bits, you don't get to access the account.

If there's an alternative method of accessing the account if you lose your phone, then that's the method the fraudsters will use.

Seriously, you think it is a downside for both joint account holders being able to access a joint account? It's 2FA on both signons. Usernames and memorable data are also different.
  • Nicholas
    Nicholas Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mr_jrt wrote: »
    Just because it's related, I received an email a couple of days ago stating that Nationwide are going to be blocking Windows XP and Vista from the 30th of September, and just in case that was a dealbreaker for you, not to bother leaving as "This will also apply to other building societies’ and banks’ online banking in the coming months."

Goes on to mention that whilst Windows 7 is fine for now, you should think about installing Windows 8 or above, with the implication they'll start blocking that after January 14 2020 when Windows 7 goes out of support.

No mention of what happens if you're using anything other than Windows.

I'm surprised it's taken this long. Using an out of support Operating System is not the best way to go about banking online.
  • londoninvestor
    Options
    mr_jrt wrote: »
    Goes on to mention that whilst Windows 7 is fine for now, you should think about installing Windows 8 or above, with the implication they'll start blocking that after January 14 2020 when Windows 7 goes out of support.

No mention of what happens if you're using anything other than Windows.

Unless NW are being very sophisticated about it, this can probably be worked round by setting the user agent string in your browser - which I'd imagine that generally Linux users could figure out how to do, but old-version Windows users won't.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,407 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 September 2019 at 7:17PM
    Options
    Unless NW are being very sophisticated about it, this can probably be worked round by setting the user agent string in your browser - which I'd imagine that generally Linux users could figure out how to do, but old-version Windows users won't.
    They'll soon learn if they stop being able to access websites. It isn't rocket science, just a browser extension and a couple of clicks to choose your preferred browser and OS to mimic.

As a Linux user, only one bank (Nationwide) has given me any issues, and only when applying for a current account, never online banking. Pretending to be Chrome on Windows fixed the problem.
  • molley
    molley Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Its good to see Santander have changed their previous comments that you may need to use the mobile app in future. Perhaps as a result of negative feedback??

For those of us who don't want the app their site now says the following

Do I need to have the mobile banking app to continue banking online?
    No, you’ll still have the option to use One Time Passcode (OTP).

I don’t want to download the mobile banking app, will I need to move my account to another company?
    No, you will be able to use OTP as a way to confirm it’s you.

But you MUST have a Mobile Phone to get the OTP...Tought !!!! if you don't have one
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    molley wrote: »
    But you MUST have a Mobile Phone to get the OTP...Tought !!!! if you don't have one

Why must you? Haven’t you heard of a landline?
    ====
  • molley
    molley Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 September 2019 at 11:17PM
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    Why must you? Haven’t you heard of a landline?

All right ...Calm yourself ...Of course Ive heard of a landline ...Makes no mention that they ( Santander) are able or willing to send it to a landline ...aiui not all landline phones can accept texts..I believe you need a Text Enabled 'Phone and also have Caller Display ( From BT website) .

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9043/~/set-up-and-use-bt-text

From the Q+A in the links above in Post 1 ...They may have changed that since .

"Will I be able to continue using Online Banking without a mobile?
    We require you to have a mobile phone because for some transactions we need to text you a One Time Passcode for authorisation. This is highlighted in our terms and conditions."
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,407 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    molley wrote: »
    aiui not all landline phones can accept texts..I believe you need a Text Enabled 'Phone and also have Caller Display ( From BT website)
    Many landline providers (including BT) offer a text to speech service if a text is sent to a landline number. You will receive a call and the text is read out to you. Similar to the 1471 service that lets you know the last caller without having caller display.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It has some shortcomings, mine says things like - we have received your order and charged your account number twelve million three hundred and forty five thousand six hundred and seventy eight ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback